2014 Trade Deadline Thread II (All General Trade Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Port'a tweeted comments several times throughout the year that some of the younger players were caught up in Gabby's "Rockstar" image and that the team was concerned about if negatively effecting the team. I wonder if it had something to do with that.

I wouldn't think so. Gaborik may have had a "Rock Star Image" but he had the pedigree of being a hell of a player. Unfortunately injuries and what appears to be a misjudged fit didn't get him into the groove in Columbus. I never heard he didn't work or wouldn't listen. If he didn't have the work ethic and got special treatment....that could be a problem but I never got the impression that was the case.

Simple case of not working out. It's unfortunate given his potential impact but I don't see the situation of this removal like some of you others do. I don't think him being gone impacts the locker room given the current on ice product performance (overall, not some of the dumpster fire stuff we're getting away with at the moment).

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
We certainly got something, essentially Frattin for $4m this year

I don't follow. We actually lowered payroll but I don't think that was an issue. I think the draft picks were the key and understand people's frustration that something "bigger" didn't happen. Given the prices the CBJ may, may have gotten a 4th or 5th for him in June if anything and I'm not convinced he would have had any more impact down the stretch.

What I wish could be quantified is whether he mere presence on the ice has been a factor in helping Arty play the way he is right now. There is somethign to be said for at least having the threat which can open up space for others. Maybe that was still there. I don't know but that's something I'll watch going forward. How does this impact the others. I don't think that type of impact can be measured but maybe seen....

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
"Protect the future of the franchise" If this was about retaining value, why did he acquire Nick Schultz? Why not trade MacKenzie who probably won't be re-signed as we give his spot to a younger, cheaper player.

Was he Rickie Incognito or something? Sounds cryptic.

Come on Samkow.... You can't really believe that Jarmo was implying that Gaborik was a problem and he truly meant protect the franchise. I think you're being too literal. Protect the future... add for the future. Don't lose something for nothing if it's not a fit. Nothing more than that the way I read it.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
"Protect the future of the franchise" If this was about retaining value, why did he acquire Nick Schultz? Why not trade MacKenzie who probably won't be re-signed as we give his spot to a younger, cheaper player.

Hey, when I see Umberger fumble the puck on a breakout or blow his 13,000th odd man rush of the season, maybe I'll be the one too start it. :naughty:

1. Protect the future of the franchise: I take it to mean that Jarmo knew Gabby wouldn't be back so he chose to get something for him now. Nothing cryptic at all. He traded him to get something while he could. Jarmo admitted his error, so he tried to correct it. See his comments in the press conference and Hunter's column today

2. He acquired Schulz because of depth and two injuries on the back line. Maybe he resigns him, maybe not. IDK. Are you saying Gabby and Schulz are comparable players? I don't think you are. You make different decisions on different players. D Mac wasn't traded because Jarmo (as he has said in the presser) likes the chemistry of the team and the way they are playing. Next year he may be replaced for a younger cheaper player, but not now, not in the middle of a playoff race.

Simply put, Jarmo had said he has decided to go with the group he has. You can talk about potentially Gabby scoring goals for us in the playoff hunt, but the simply fact is that the team hasn't missed him in his absence and they have played well without him. So Jarmo figures he can get something for him while he can.

What's so hard to understand about this? I think you are reading way too much into stuff. We will see by mid April if Jarmo made the right call with this team. Time will tell

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I don't follow. We actually lowered payroll but I don't think that was an issue. I think the draft picks were the key and understand people's frustration that something "bigger" didn't happen. Given the prices the CBJ may, may have gotten a 4th or 5th for him in June if anything and I'm not convinced he would have had any more impact down the stretch.

What I wish could be quantified is whether he mere presence on the ice has been a factor in helping Arty play the way he is right now. There is somethign to be said for at least having the threat which can open up space for others. Maybe that was still there. I don't know but that's something I'll watch going forward. How does this impact the others. I don't think that type of impact can be measured but maybe seen....
We had to retain half his salary, capgeek lists it at $3.5, so I guess the prorated portion isnt as much for the remaining games, but the fact that we kept any of the salary is ridiculous IMO. It could end up only being a 2nd rounder if they dont resign him or they dont make it past the 1st round

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think Nick Shultz is a big enough upgrade on D to be worth taking away playing time/experience from Prout/Erixon/Murray/Goloubef.

Murray is hurt, possibly long term, Prout has battled injuries and consistency problems, Erixon is also hurt and Goloubef is an unproven commodity. Tyutin is also possibly hurt long term and Wiz has a broken toe!

Shultz provides a veteran presence on the back end, he played for Richards in Minn and all we gave up is a 5th rounder. I think it was a good move for the remainder of the year. I think he will be a nice addition to our frantic, oft times sloppy back end. We needed an NHL level proven stay at home D and we got him for a bag of used pucks. Relax, as of now we are in the playoffs and only a few points behind 2nd place(the best we could possibly hope for in the beginning of the year or now) ENJOY THE RIDE!

I bet you make your NHL 14 PS3/Xbox player a 5'10" 170 lb sniper every time don't you? haha

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah - draft picks take awhile so way to early to judge. But seeing how close this team is to playoffs very disappointing to see he hasn't been able to add a single meaningful player to help get us in, aside from Gabby, who he just dumped

We don't have the cap space this season to add a significant player without taking away a significant player!! He did what he could. You want to upset the chemistry of our forwards by ripping a Dubi, Arty, Atkinson out of the lineup?? That's what they would have had to give up to get the significant piece you are/were looking for!

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
1. Protect the future of the franchise: I take it to mean that Jarmo knew Gabby wouldn't be back so he chose to get something for him now. Nothing cryptic at all. He traded him to get something while he could. Jarmo admitted his error, so he tried to correct it. See his comments in the press conference and Hunter's column today

2. He acquired Schulz because of depth and two injuries on the back line. Maybe he resigns him, maybe not. IDK. Are you saying Gabby and Schulz are comparable players? I don't think you are. You make different decisions on different players. D Mac wasn't traded because Jarmo (as he has said in the presser) likes the chemistry of the team and the way they are playing. Next year he may be replaced for a younger cheaper player, but not now, not in the middle of a playoff race.

Simply put, Jarmo had said he has decided to go with the group he has. You can talk about potentially Gabby scoring goals for us in the playoff hunt, but the simply fact is that the team hasn't missed him in his absence and they have played well without him. So Jarmo figures he can get something for him while he can.

What's so hard to understand about this? I think you are reading way too much into stuff. We will see by mid April if Jarmo made the right call with this team. Time will tell

I think you are spot on, Fred.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I have had at least once in my job where there was an employee who simply didn't fit in. Heckuva nice person, got along great with everyone here, but too soft spoken for sales and too fumbly for the repair work we do. I was losing business because of them. I had to make the tough decision to let them go for the betterment of the company. It sucked, but in the long run it was the right thing to do.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
When Jarmo says protect the future, I would think that perhaps others that came calling were wanting some of our youngsters that he wasn't willing to give up. That whole "you have to give to get" idea.

(That said, I haven't watched the presser.)

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
When Jarmo says protect the future, I would think that perhaps others that came calling were wanting some of our youngsters that he wasn't willing to give up. That whole "you have to give to get" idea.

(That said, I haven't watched the presser.)

That's how I took it as well.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I guess the biggest thing we take from yesterday is cap space. With a projected cap of 71.1M, we will have 22.1M in cap space. Obviously we'll have to re-sign Johansen, Savard and Prout. There are decisions to be made on Erixon and Goloubef, who are both RFA's.

There are some UFA decisions to make. Do you re-sign MacKenzie (I would, he's the type of player you want in the room), Nikitin, Skille?

I think that our lineup will be largely the same except, I think that Jarmo and JD are going to go after the skilled, scoring left wing hard in the offseason. Someone that fits with Johansen and Horton. Vanek, Cammalleri and Moulson are UFA's, but is there a trade that may come along with others that are made available? I also think we make some type of upgrade on defense in the offseason.

That said, I haven't given up on this year. We're in a playoff position right now. Yesterday didn't make us any better, but it didn't make us any worse. We're right there in the hunt and we'll know within the next three weeks if we'll be playing into April.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
I guess the biggest thing we take from yesterday is cap space. With a projected cap of 71.1M, we will have 22.1M in cap space. Obviously we'll have to re-sign Johansen, Savard and Prout. There are decisions to be made on Erixon and Goloubef, who are both RFA's.

There are some UFA decisions to make. Do you re-sign MacKenzie (I would, he's the type of player you want in the room), Nikitin, Skille?

I think that our lineup will be largely the same except, I think that Jarmo and JD are going to go after the skilled, scoring left wing hard in the offseason. Someone that fits with Johansen and Horton. Vanek, Cammalleri and Moulson are UFA's, but is there a trade that may come along with others that are made available? I also think we make some type of upgrade on defense in the offseason.

That said, I haven't given up on this year. We're in a playoff position right now. Yesterday didn't make us any better, but it didn't make us any worse. We're right there in the hunt and we'll know within the next three weeks if we'll be playing into April.

To think we could have gotten David Peron on a great contract on draft day last year. Jesus.....The Oiler stole him for a 2nd round pick and Magnus Paajarvi lol.

What could have been....

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
To think we could have gotten David Peron on a great contract on draft day last year. Jesus.....The Oiler stole him for a 2nd round pick and Magnus Paajarvi lol.

What could have been....
I wonder what they offered. During Jarmo's interview at the draft, he said that he offered St. Louis a deal which felt was a good offer. I wonder what St. Louis countered with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad