2014 Trade Deadline Thread (All General Deadline Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm so self conscious right now. Subtext has always been a challenge for me, just ask my exes.

"But there's a difference between knowing and not knowing that changes a lot of things. You're talking about posting on an internet forum, the grind, the brotherhood, the joking that goes along with it. The forum may not be ready for an openly ignorant poster, because it's the kind of thing that changes everything."

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
"But there's a difference between knowing and not knowing that changes a lot of things. You're talking about posting on an internet forum, the grind, the brotherhood, the joking that goes along with it. The forum may not be ready for an openly ignorant poster, because it's the kind of thing that changes everything."

Most excellent!

bizzz*

Geez, Evander Kane was called a thug many times by different Canadian and American posters. On hfboards only. No one ever made that an issue or questioned that.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
This has certainly been a very substantive debate so far. (Not!).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Geez, Evander Kane was called a thug many times by different Canadian and American posters. On hfboards only. No one ever made that an issue or questioned that.

That's not a justification.

And bizzz I don't mean to single you out or expect you to understand what's politically correct in America. In this country folks are often all-too ready to stereotype black kids as "thugs" because they do something weird like pose with a stack of money. "Thug" means a violent criminal, and if people consider you a thug they won't trust you and it will limit your life opportunities. You don't call someone a "thug" just because they don't play hard enough for you hometown team.

bizzz*

That's not a justification.

And bizzz I don't mean to single you out or expect you to understand what's politically correct in America. In this country folks are often all-too ready to stereotype black kids as "thugs" because they do something weird like pose with a stack of money. "Thug" means a violent criminal, and if people consider you a thug they won't trust you and it will limit your life opportunities. You don't call someone a "thug" just because they don't play hard enough for you hometown team.
I guess you've missed some other points. Like making that haircut.

YMCMB = thuglife.

No one is doing it to him, he's doing it to himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I guess you've missed some other points. Like making that haircut.

YMCMB = thuglife.

No one is doing it to him, he's doing it to himself.

He's a Lil Wayne fan. What does that have to do with Kane's character?

bizzz*

I thought you asked why did I call him a thug. I gave you an answer. Why are you asking what it has to do with his character now?
The oldest fan of gangsta rap I've ever met is 16 years old. I just don't like the people who slow in their development as a person.

IHeartZherdev*

I thought you asked why did I call him a thug. I gave you an answer. Why are you asking what it has to do with his character now?
The oldest fan of gangsta rap I've ever met is 16 years old. I just don't like the people who slow in their development as a person.

We need to get you to nationwide arena to police the music in the CBJ locker room to make sure they are developing as people correctly.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Character? Maybe not much. Intellect? Now that's another thing :sarcasm:

I like Kane as a player and I don't really care about his supposed character issues. But he'd cost a lot to acquire, and I'm of the belief that this team doesn't need to get any younger. We need proven winners IMO.

Kington91

Apr 30, 2012
Grandview Heights

You literally have no reason to call him a thug. Thug is used as a derogatory slander towards black people, he is not a thug. If he was white would you call him a thug?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You literally have no reason to call him a thug. Thug is used as a derogatory slander towards black people, he is not a thug. If he was white would you call him a thug?

What the hell? Dude you've got no clue.

thug
THəg/
noun
noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug

1. a violent person, esp. a criminal.
synonyms: ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster, villain, criminal; More
informaltough, bruiser, hardman, goon, heavy, enforcer, hired gun, hood
"one of Capone's thugs"

historical
a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thug

Examples of THUG

He was beaten and robbed by street thugs.
<the Mob boss regularly sent his thugs after people who were slow to pay their debts>

Origin of THUG
Hindi & Urdu ṭhag, literally, thief
First Known Use: 1810

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Wind_River_Train_Derail_Medium.JPG

This thread.

Kington91

Apr 30, 2012
Grandview Heights
What the hell? Dude you've got no clue.

thug
THəg/
noun
noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug

1. a violent person, esp. a criminal.
synonyms: ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster, villain, criminal; More
informaltough, bruiser, hardman, goon, heavy, enforcer, hired gun, hood
"one of Capone's thugs"

historical
a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thug

Examples of THUG

He was beaten and robbed by street thugs.
<the Mob boss regularly sent his thugs after people who were slow to pay their debts>

Origin of THUG
Hindi & Urdu ṭhag, literally, thief
First Known Use: 1810

Okay I get the literal meaning. Thug is used a different way in common English. I'm just saying writing Kane off as a thug seems racist, especially with the lack of proof. (Haircuts don't count)

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Watch the last western swing. Jackets got muscled off the puck. They need another big body with good hands who can go to the greasy areas and score goals. Evander Kane would be a nice addition but is redundant based on the current makeup of this team

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Watch the last western swing. Jackets got muscled off the puck. They need another big body with good hands who can go to the greasy areas and score goals. Evander Kane would be a nice addition but is redundant based on the current makeup of this team

Why does your statement appear to me to contradict itself? Are you under the impression that Evander Kane is not a big physical player that outmuscles opponents, hits, and scores greasy goals?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Why does your statement appear to me to contradict itself? Are you under the impression that Evander Kane is not a big physical player that outmuscles opponents, hits, and scores greasy goals?

The goal-scoring part is certainly debatable. He hasn't broken through that 25-30 goal threshold, and he doesn't do enough else offensively or in the defensive zone to actually create offense when he isn't scoring.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The goal-scoring part is certainly debatable. He hasn't broken through that 25-30 goal threshold, and he doesn't do enough else offensively or in the defensive zone to actually create offense when he isn't scoring.

Of all people o would have thought you wouldn't miss on this one. Kane scored 30 in 2012, 17 in 48 games last year and is on pace for 29 this year which includes a slow start. I think he's already demonstrated he's at least a 25-30 goal scorer with potential to do more.

That's not to say we should get him but I, for one, think he would be a good fit given his size, toughness and goal scoring. Don't know about price tag but I would welcome him with open arms.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That damn well better not be the believe train.
hatsoff.gif

I wouldn't mind adding Kane. I just don't think moving Atkinson is good value.

There is a part of me that wonders if his presence might boost the Jackets' popularity among the "we need an NBA team in Columbus" crowd. Maybe not, but, hey, it'd be nice if it'd work out that way.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Okay I get the literal meaning. Thug is used a different way in common English. I'm just saying writing Kane off as a thug seems racist, especially with the lack of proof. (Haircuts don't count)

I haven't heard of white supremacy groups co-oping "thug". I suggest that you concentrate on the thug aspect and don't throw around the racism flag. That term could be directed at anyone of any skin color and you are stretching.

Now, on to other comments. As far as Kane demonstrating he is a 30 goal scorer. No. He's demonstrated that on a good year he might reach 30 goals. Not even close to the same thing. Around a 30 minute PROD in 4 of your 5 years doesn't justify his contract. Blake Wheeler is the guy on that team producing at a top line level.

Now Kane is young and the potential is there, especially taking 4 shots a game. However that 9% shot percentage is terrible, he'll barely reach 30 goals doing that. He has to get that up to 12-15%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad