Speculation: 2014 Trade Deadline Discussion | Part XI | Please, Kesler Don't Hurt Em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
I'm still struggling with the fact that the entirety of the Kesler speculation began with a Rob Rossi article. For Rossi to not only get that scoop, but also offer details just feels completely implausible to me.

If we could somehow acquire Hemsky and Kulemin, and can finally get healthy (we are so due), I don't mind our chances to get through the East:

Kunitz - Crosby - Hemsky
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Kulemin - Sutter - Bennett/Gibbons
Engo - Vitale - Adams

Martin - Orpik
Niskanen - Maatta
Scuderi - Despres/Bort/Letang

not sure how cap would work (salary retention), but we ought to be able to do this while retaining Pouliot, Harrington, Despres, etc.

I agree for the most part. I mean, I like Kesler and all but we already have his position filled. Twice. We need major work to our bottom 6 and a 1RW.

I'd like to get Hemsky as a rental and look to Florida for the Matthias/Bergenheim types.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
It's hard to predict the Flyers. They really shouldn't be blowing their load on another center. It's not really a need for them. They need to save their assets for a big time D but they are so unpredictable that I can't rule out them trading for Kesler or anybody else for that matter. I actually think it's more likely the Pens really want Kesler, the Flyers know it because of the reports being leaked and they're trying to drive the price up on the Pens. I could be totally wrong though. We'll find out in the next day or two.
Yeah, I just hope they don't price us out. I definitely want to retain Pouliot and Bennett, so I hope those dang philthy flyers don't drive it to that point :help:

If we could get Kesler for Sutter, Dumolin/Despres and a 1st and 3rd rounder, these would be some pretty great lines when everyone is healthy next year:

Kuni - Sid - Duper
Nealer - Geno - Bennett
RFA-TBD - Kesler - Jokinen
Adams - Vitale - Glass

Martin - Scuderi
Tanger - Pouliot
Maata - Niskanen / Bortuzzo

I mean, throwing the Juice, who is pretty damn versatile, down with Kesler, and throwing Bennett who is a proven commodity with Geno on the second line, helps Bennett develop and gives Kesler someone to play with who isn't a complete bum.

We will need a more skilled 3rd liner to play with those two because Pyatt is not even an option....

We could bring up Megna or Gibbons, I really like both of them as high-offense 3rd liners. Megna would probably be better since he is a bit larger and has proven that he is willing to hit people, even at his low weight. He is a bit taller too (than Gibbons), so he can always add some muscle and L-B's.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So lets review... Right now we are completely worthless on the bottom two lines save for sutter, who isnt as good as staal was but is only 25. we may have a guy like Menga who would fill a role there and maybe one of the wonder midgets can provide something there... thats about our hope... The top line has no right winger per se... the long term hope is maybe bennet, or hoping that Dupuis, who is on the back end of his 30's now, can overcome a major knee injury and return to average winger form.

The second line has JJ, who is a free agent after the season, and isnt the optimal player for that line anyhow...

So we are looking to trade for a third line Center and another defenseman? we are stupid... center is the only position we are at least above average at on the third line already... Kessler is an upgrade, but not the kind you are looking at when you have the kind of holes we do.... Mcdonald is absolutely not needed... if we trade for him someone needs to give Shero an IQ test.

Sure, kesler is signed for two more years... but if we dump Bennett and Sutter and a first to get him we have no assets to replace him when he inevitably leaves... or to fill any of the holes we created because we are a stubborn org who wont change the plan when things arent working the way we expect them too.. we are then banking on every high risk/high reward prospect to pan out...

Stay the course... play things out with what you have. Martin will be back. Maatta is the real deal, but he is goignt to have to take some playoff lumps.... Pair him with Martin so you get a really good and balanced top pairing. Nisky isnt a great playoff defenseman, but he is a free agent that we cant trade if Letang is done for the season . Pair him with Scuderi... their weaknesses and strengths pair nicely... Orpik is definatly on the downslope... if you must play him give him bottom line minutes with Bortz or despres. That leaves engelland as the #8.... that really isnt a bad defense even without letang and you have doumulin and Samulsson in the minors who can contribute....

The fourth line is unsalvagable as long as Bylsma is here so ignore it Let vitale center Glass and Pyatt..... the third play Sutter with Menga and Connors or gibbons... Keep the second line as is and play bennett with crosby and Kunitz....

Fix your problems in the offseason and quit flushing assets. build a real team the correct way and utilize the young guys... quit overvaluing vets...

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
The thing is, because Kesler isn't a rental the Nucks can wait until the draft. We're going to need to overpay a bit if we want him now. But without gutting our system, there are going to need to be some other players involved.

I'm thinking Sutter + Pouliot + 1st + Despres + Bleuger
for Kesler + Higgins + 2nd

Something like that.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
any one listen to 93.7 the fan this morning. supposedly dreger was going to be on at 8 talking about penguins/kesler.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
That only cuts a million in salary for Carolina and just makes Vancouver a worse team. Not a fit. I think someone else mentioned them moving Ward. That makes more sense if they can find a taker.

I just think that would be hilarious after the implications behind the Staal trade. Agree it's much more likely for Ward to be traded.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
LMFAO. If poor Jordan gets traded after turning down our offer just to go play with his brother I will laugh my ass off. :laugh:

Not going to say I disagree.

Lol with Carolina retaining 33% salary. 4 Mil per Staal for the next 10 years! I can live with that as our third line center!

That is definitely something I could live with, too. Play Jussi with him (pending him re-signing) and grab another skilled winger or megna/gibbons. I could live with that if we don't get Kesler.

Literally we just need that shutdown, offensively talented 3rd center to build depth around. Talented wingers are nothing without a good center to get feeds from.

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
Not going to say I disagree.

That is definitely something I could live with, too. Play Jussi with him (pending him re-signing) and grab another skilled winger or megna/gibbons. I could live with that if we don't get Kesler.

Literally we just need that shutdown, offensively talented 3rd center to build depth around. Talented wingers are nothing without a good center to get feeds from.

It would put us back in the 3 center model that is for sure. I'd still like to see a rugged third line winger added. Maybe a package to get Ruutu with Staal. Jokinen-Staal-Ruutu third line? That would be amazing, and if we could somehow keep Bennett. I know I'm dreaming but:

Kunitz-Crosby-Gibbons/Megna
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Staal-Ruutu

Hydro

Apr 29, 2013
Windsor
While I'm not totally against trading for Kesler, I think we can get more for less with other players, and wait till the offseason to finish that job. I'm very against the idea of trading for yet another dman, I think I'll have to retire watching for the season it that happens. This is a down year, we should wait it out (as painful as that may sound) and build this team the right way. It can be done

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
It would put us back in the 3 center model that is for sure. I'd still like to see a rugged third line winger added. Maybe a package to get Ruutu with Staal. Jokinen-Staal-Ruutu third line? That would be amazing, and if we could somehow keep Bennett. I know I'm dreaming but:

Kunitz-Crosby-Gibbons/Megna
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Staal-Ruutu

Yeah, I mean even if it was possible you still have some hot garbage on Crosby's line after all that dealing.

Late to the party, but in general I would pay what it takes to get Kesler as long as we could keep one of Pouliot or Despres. Like you said we get back to the 3 center model but nothing says we can't improve upon that roster for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad