Olympics: 2014 - Sweden Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I think my biggest worry at this point is the thing I expected to be the most confident about: the goalie.

Hank hasn't been good all year, and shows no real signs of getting better. :help:

Similar stats as Pekka Rinne and Ryan Miller...

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
My Olympic roster:

2:nd
Franzén-Zetterberg-Alfredsson
Ericsson-Kronwall
All five from Detroit. The only question is Alfie. He's just back from a injury. There might be a small risk that he wants to stay home and take care of his body to be able to play his best hockey in his last (?) NHL season.

Uhm.. No there isn't. Affe said himself that part of the move to Detroit was because he wanted to increase his chances at making the Olympic team. Besides, his injury hasn't been noticeable at all since he returned.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I think Landerskog is a lock for the third line instead of Franzen!

Landeskog is having a good season no doubt. Zetterberg plays with Franzén in Detroit though and when Franzén is good - he's really good. Landeskog also fits better into a checking line than Franzén.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Explain yourself! ;)

Clear roles within each line, two defensive centers on lines where the other two skates, crashes the net and ultimately scores! Lando and Steen are hot right now and Hedman is given room to join the attack. Fourth line is a little slower but given being in the offensive zone will work fine. Otherwise we use the first line. Zibby has more in him than Hagelin and Nyquist imo. Defense is built for high tempo hockey and flow.

RomersWorld*

IMO, Kruger is simply better than a guy like Marcus Johansson in a 4th line role.

9 of Johansson's points are from the power play. I doubt he sees much time there and Kruger has similar production at even strength but is better defensively and on faceoffs.

Johansson has been awful at faceoffs this year at 33%. The last time he was taking draws full-time he was 43%.

Marcus Kruger(non-PP production)
27 games, 3 goals, 8 assists, 11 points, +3, 54.6% faceoffs

Marcus Johansson(non-PP production)
26 games, 1 goal, 9 assists, 10 points, -1, 33.3% faceoffs

You gotta figure neither will be on the PP. Plus Kruger is a better PKer. Kruger is 1st among forwards on his team, Johansson 9th among forwards.

I just think Kruger fits the role perfectly. He is great on the big ice(more space gives him more playmaking chances), is great on the PK, and has been good on faceoffs(his only weaknesses were physicality/faceoffs but he got rid of one weakness and is almost 55% on the year).

A Kruger-Hagelin PK pairing would be awesome. Hagelin basically being like Frolik was in Chicago where they were a dominate PK force.

spuleri

Nov 20, 2013
Hagelin have barely played any BP this year. How about previous seasons? I think Landeskog would do good with Krüger, just like they did at WC 2012.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
MÃ¥rts on phone in the NHL studio, straight forward question who impressed him the most on his trip and he said Hjalmarsson. Safe to say he could be paired with Karlsson.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
IMO, Kruger is simply better than a guy like Marcus Johansson in a 4th line role.

9 of Johansson's points are from the power play. I doubt he sees much time there and Kruger has similar production at even strength but is better defensively and on faceoffs.

Johansson has been awful at faceoffs this year at 33%. The last time he was taking draws full-time he was 43%.

Marcus Kruger(non-PP production)
27 games, 3 goals, 8 assists, 11 points, +3, 54.6% faceoffs

Marcus Johansson(non-PP production)
26 games, 1 goal, 9 assists, 10 points, -1, 33.3% faceoffs

You gotta figure neither will be on the PP. Plus Kruger is a better PKer. Kruger is 1st among forwards on his team, Johansson 9th among forwards.

I just think Kruger fits the role perfectly. He is great on the big ice(more space gives him more playmaking chances), is great on the PK, and has been good on faceoffs(his only weaknesses were physicality/faceoffs but he got rid of one weakness and is almost 55% on the year).

A Kruger-Hagelin PK pairing would be awesome. Hagelin basically being like Frolik was in Chicago where they were a dominate PK force.

Moneyball!
(or pointball)

novon04

Dec 21, 2011
Here's mine: http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/os-truppen/team?id=5299d233adb0c60200000028

Nyquist could steal Johansson's spot if he stays hot. Would really like to have Strålman in there but he just doesn't fit. 2nd and 3rd line could be switched.
Like this lineup the best. Very close to the team and lines I would pick. Only line changes would be:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson since they did well in the WC, no reason to change from the start at least.
Steen-Zetterberg-Franzen ..Steen is used to playing left wing and I have a feeling he and Zetterberg would be great together.
Johansson-Bäckström-Alfredsson ..Alfie and Bäckström played well together last olympics.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Pretty underrated team i'd say. At both F and D they have so many dynamic players which is awesome.

I wouldn't call Sweden underrated. Media will probably hype up this tournament as a Canada-Russia showdown which fits us and other teams perfectly.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Eriksson-Sedin-Sedin

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen

Steen-Backstrom-Landeskog

Hagelin-Berglund-Alfredsson

Silfverberg, Johansson, Krúger, Hornqvist, Zibanejad

Karlsson-Kronwall

OEL-Brodin

Hjalmarsson-Hedman

Edler, Ericsson, Oduya,​

Would've loved to see Lindholm; he's amazing and fun to watch, but isn't registered.

Lundqvist
Lehner

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I wouldn't call Sweden underrated. Media will probably hype up this tournament as a Canada-Russia showdown which fits us and other teams perfectly.

I hope you're right but with 5-6 Swedes top20 in NHL scoring, 3 D's in top7 defensive scoring and Lundqvist in net, that may not happen this time around.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
I think my biggest worry at this point is the thing I expected to be the most confident about: the goalie.

Hank hasn't been good all year, and shows no real signs of getting better. :help:

Yup, agree. I'm also a bit concerned/worried about the goalie situation atm.

Henke needs to sharpen up and play with more consistency, he has let in to many softies this year.
Fasth mostly injured. Enroth, OK I guess, but nothing extraordinary. Lehner stellar tho.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Shock team: (there's always a minor injury that need to be taken care of, Daniel Sedin's toe or Lundqvist's lost technique, MÃ¥rts foregoes his 63 commandments plus choses players for a special system)

Zetterberg - Sedin - Klasen (role players take many forms)
Steen - Bäckström - Zibanejad (all tools in the toolbox line)
Hjalmarsson - Backlund - Landeskog (worlds best thirdliners accoring to MÃ¥rts)
Johansson - Krüger - Eriksson (shut up-shut down-shut out line)
Ericsson - Lundqvist (if Sweden wins gold the Lundqvist family dinners will be exciting in the future...and the Ericsson ditto, The Kronwalls's will be the same)

Hjalmarsson - Hedman
Brodin - Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson - Kronwall N
Gunnarsson - Strålman

Gustavsson
Enroth
Lehner (might be found at the Skicross arena)

Last edited:

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Shock team: (there's always a minor injury that need to be taken care of, Daniel Sedin's toe or Lundqvist's lost technique, MÃ¥rts foregoes his 63 commandments plus choses players for a special system)

Zetterberg - Sedin - Klasen (role player)
Steen - Bäckström - Zibanejad
Hjalmarsson - Backlund - Landeskog (worlds best thirdliners accoring to MÃ¥rts)
Johansson - Krüger - Ericsson
Stålberg - Berglund

Hjalmarsson - Hedman
Brodin - Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson - Kronwall
Gunnarsson - Strålman

Gustavsson
Enroth
Lehner

Klasen is not on the list..

Status
Not open for further replies.