2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: We're In!!! Let's talk (Clinched 2nd Place)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Not sure who I want to face, but it wouldn't surprise if it was a long, drawn out series against either opponent. We have been fairly evenly matched against both Columbus and Philly in the regular season. Should be a good battle and a definite change of pace from the typical Capitals matchup that we have frequently encountered in the playoffs.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not sure who I want to face, but it wouldn't surprise if it was a long, drawn out series against either opponent. We have been fairly evenly matched against both Columbus and Philly in the regular season. Should be a good battle and a definite change of pace from the typical Capitals matchup that we have frequently encountered in the playoffs.

Ill take Philly - they can't win at MSG and have goalie issues (as always).

Both of these teams are going to try to grind the Rangers down. Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Ill take Philly - they can't win at MSG and have goalie issues (as always).

Both of these teams are going to try to grind the Rangers down. Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

I'm leaning towards Philly as well, but my major concern with them is that they will be licking their chops to get at McDonagh's injured shoulder. Both Hartnell and Simmonds have gone after him this year so the Rangers better be prepared.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
My first thoughts on the 2014 playoffs is

THANK GOD WE DON'T HAVE TO SEE OTTAWA OR WASHINGTON

:) Man am I ever sick of seeing either of those teams in the playoffs

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Honestly.... I think I'd rather play the "other" team of whichever one has the better chance to beat Pittsburgh.

I think we can handle Columbus or Philly. If we can't, then we're not serious contenders.

The real scary issue, IMO, is can we beat Pittsburgh and Boston back to back? That's a tall order, so I think I'd rather someone upset Pittsburgh, then get to play both Philly and Columbus in whatever order.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Honestly.... I think I'd rather play the "other" team of whichever one has the better chance to beat Pittsburgh.

I think we can handle Columbus or Philly. If we can't, then we're not serious contenders.

The real scary issue, IMO, is can we beat Pittsburgh and Boston back to back? That's a tall order, so I think I'd rather someone upset Pittsburgh, then get to play both Philly and Columbus in whatever order.

Pittsburgh is not as scary this year as they were last year. We're deeper than them at every position except center. I think our style of play is more conducive to winning against Pittsburgh than it was the last few seasons. Also... Dan Blysma and MAF in the playoffs.

Boston though. They scare me.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

I think the bolded part is what we're waiting to find out

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Pittsburgh has guys that can win series by themselves, and Fleury who could lose a series by himself. :laugh:

Haha so true!

On another note, Columbus won't have Nathan Horton for 6 weeks.

So their top two players will be Brandon dubinsky and Ryan Johanson...

Bobrovsky is the only thing im afraid of with them. He's on top of his game the last few weeks

BarbaraAlphanse

Lol avoid us over pittsburgh or boston? Cmon kenjets lol

Makes perfect sense. Rangers are hotter than either of those teams, especially Pitt.

I think Columbus owns the tie break with Detroit, so maybe they're hoping they can both lose a game and Clb will get Pitt and Det get Bos.

I think Pitt is very susceptible to first round knock out. I'm afraid that if they don't get knocked out, they'll gain some sort of unreal momentum that will propel them past us and maybe even to Cup victory.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Lol avoid us over pittsburgh or boston? Cmon kenjets lol

Lol Pittsburgh.

The Bruins are the only team significantly better than the Rangers in the East. I don't think they are avoiding the Rangers but I'd rather play Pitt, too.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
First of all, I don't really think NHL teams worry as much as we do about who they play...if at all. I'm sure Columbus is very happy to just be in the playoffs and, like most teams, the most important thing for them will be to go in as strong and as healthy as possible.

Plus, for those of you who do subscribe, Columbus is 0-5 against the Penguins this season, all losses in regulation, outscored in total 16-7. Difficult to imagine this is the team they would be maneuvering to match up with in the first round.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Now that they have clinched 2nd place, would AV consider sitting Nash and MSL and some other guys for a game?We aren't talking 5 games, but maybe it is best to give some of these guys a few days off for rest to nurse some injuries and make sure their legs are in good shape for the playoffs?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Now that they have clinched 2nd place, would AV consider sitting Nash and MSL and some other guys for a game?We aren't talking 5 games, but maybe it is best to give some of these guys a few days off for rest to nurse some injuries and make sure their legs are in good shape for the playoffs?

I'm sure he will to whoever says they may need it. I'm betting Hank sits as he usually does in Montreal.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm sure he will to whoever says they may need it. I'm betting Hank sits as he usually does in Montreal.

Yeah that to me is a no-brainer. I know Nash in last years playoffs looked like his legs were bothering him. He has played less minutes this year but giving him a night off may be a good idea. Same with Richards who looks slow. McDonagh is already sitting but maybe give Girardi a game off. The last thing they need is for one of their big horses to get hurt blocking a shot.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

probably, there's nothing left to play for since Tampa owns the tiebreaker

will also be an opportunity to try some different things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad