GDT: 2014 Sochi Olympics

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Hoping Sweden gets a goal or two to make things interesting. Definitely don't want to see Price with another shutout in the medal rounds, Habs fans would be even more insufferable. Berglund got a lot of crap for that hit on Kunitz, but I didn't think it was that bad. Case of a big man dropping a little man who didn't see it coming.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hoping Sweden gets a goal or two to make things interesting. Definitely don't want to see Price with another shutout in the medal rounds, Habs fans would be even more insufferable. Berglund got a lot of crap for that hit on Kunitz, but I didn't think it was that bad. Case of a big man dropping a little man who didn't see it coming.
Yeah that was a typical boarding call we see in every other NHL game.

At least if the Canadians win gold without Subban playing that might shut them up a little bit. But still probably not.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Congrats to JBo and Petro. Hope this boosts their confidence and we see the dominant Pietrangelo back on the ice.

Enough of this Olympics crap, let's get back to what really matters. The chase for the cup! Let's Go Blues!

arteamon

May 31, 2013
St. Petersburg
I cheered for Sweden, but Canada was from an another league. Congrats Petro and JBo! Good rest to the guys and with fresh strength go to the road for the Cup.

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
So apparently Backstrom couldn't play becuase he failed the Olympic doping test. Rumor is it was just his allergy medicine. Anyone else have any more info?

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Congrats JBo, Petro, Steen, and Berglund. Happy those four Blues collected some hardware.

These Olympics prove to me that we got the wrong goalie from Montreal.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
ku-xlarge.gif

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Ha. That's awesome. Interesting that he came in the fastest on what I believe was the one attempt where he had to score to extend the SO. I'm sure that's where he felt the most nerves. It also was the sickest goal of the four. Bar down.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Steen had 0 hits in the tournament. is he that soft in nhl also? in the lockout when he was playing for modo he was very physical.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Steen had 0 hits in the tournament. is he that soft in nhl also? in the lockout when he was playing for modo he was very physical.

No he's not, but he also doesn't go out of his way to deliver hits. His game is heavily based on puck possession so he's not often in position to deliver big hits. Having said that, he won't shy away from body contact if that's what's needed.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

If you watched the games, I'd be very surprised for you to think he was soft. I assume you saw him going to the front of the net, battling in the corners, blocking shots, and delivering more than his share of slashes and crosschecks. Sweden simply had the puck all the time against all of its opponents until Canada. Hard to hit when you have possession all the time. Stats in single digit games in a tournament of extremes mean very little. Never mind the fact that the way hits are recorded is about as suspect as you can get.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Guess that shows how useless the hits stat can be. He was a pest. I think Steen is one of those guys that would really piss me off, I'd want to get in a fight with him every game. He just whacks and hacks and uses every part of his body to shield the puck or take it away. He's not the fastest or the most skilled, but the guy is a beast. He's definitely not soft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad