GDT: 2014 Sochi Olympics

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
But Karlsson gathered all his points playing defence (adequately-for such a high scorer), while Byfuglien spent a fair amount of time over those few years as a forward. So, he is NOT as good a scoring D-man as is Karlsson. Secondly, Byfuglien sometimes has lapses, playing defence poorly.

He might have been added for his hard point shot, his size and toughness. But, he's certainly no lock for replacing Orpik over Yandle or Erik Johnson.

Buff exclusively played D over the past 3 seasons. The new coach moved him to forward a couple weeks ago and he has played very well showing his versatility. He was also very effective on Chicago during their cup run. Buff also kills penalties unlike Karlsson. Karlsson probably skates better than anyone in the league and his game is graceful. Buff is a little unorthodox and he looks sloppy at times.
I was so pissed when Karlsson won the Norris becuase he does not play very good defense. He plays a ton of Powerplay time but no PP kill time. Hes not your traditional D man.
I didn't want to turn this into a comparrison of Buff and Karlsson. Karlsson is already better and he is younger with more upside. I was simply stating that Buff would have brought alot to the table for team USA. Especially in a tournament like this. Look at Weber,Doughty,Karlsson in this tournament. The offesnive Dman are proving to be very valuable. Team USA's powerplay was also brutal. Buff IS one of the best powerplay QB's in the league.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
If you're looking for more offense from the blueline, Yandle is your guy. I'd take him without thinking twice over Buff, and the big ice only pushes it even further in Yandle's favor IMO.

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
If you're looking for more offense from the blueline, Yandle is your guy. I'd take him without thinking twice over Buff, and the big ice only pushes it even further in Yandle's favor IMO.

I can agree with that. I think Yandle and Buff would both be better opitons than Faulk,Orpik,Martin. My problem with Yandle is he may be the worst i have ever seen at jumping up into the play at the wrong time. Which is why he is a minus 17 and gets in the doghouse from time to time. But paired with the right partner he would have been very effective.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It seems to me that the USA was trying to build a defense that was steady/responsible, while still being capable of moving the puck up to their forwards effectively. It's a more conservative approach, but not necessarily an archaic one.

The relative lack of dynamic play/aggressiveness on the blueline is fine as long as the fowards are effectively creating chances off the rush, and/or with their forecheck/possession play within the offensive zone.

When that isn't happening, guys like Doughty, Yandle, Karlsson give the offense another outlet because they're capable of applying offensive pressure in ways that are very difficult to defend. The downside is that it also opens you to dangerous counters.

I think a more dynamic blueline would have complemented the forwards on this team well, but I think the USA braintrust was afraid of getting into a track meet type of game with Canada. The net result was a more closed/strategic battle that remained close throughout, but ultimately one in which Canada's superior defense and puck possession play gave them the decisive edge.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Last 2 seasons
Buff - 71 points/120 games
Karlsson - 69 points /118 games
Hmm.... Get your facts straight.
Yes I realize that. Just saying Faulk had no business on this years club. I like his potential but there players that bring more value to the team.
*You can even go back to '11/12 when Karlsson had his Norris trophy year. Buff was right on pace with him in points untill he got hurt.

Just a small piece of advice: Before you go around telling people to get their facts straight, you may want to make sure you have your own straight. EK hasn't even played 118 games in the last two years at the NHL and I have no idea where you're coming up with that number. Unless you're counting the 35 games he played between the SEL and Finnish league. If you did that then you conveniently forgot to include the 34 points he put up in those games. He's played all of 76 games at the NHL level the last two season and tallied 69 points for a ppg of .90. Byfuglien by comparison, has played 103 games and tallied 71 points for a ppg of .68. If we expand that back the past three years, Karlsson has 147 points in 157 games at for a ppg of .93. Byfuglien sits at 124 points in 169 games for a ppg of .73. Byfuglien's numbers are phenomenal for a defenseman, and I fully acknowledge that. However, Karlsson is scoring at .2 points more per game game than Byguflien. As a defenseman that is a staggering number. So yes, I stand by my assertion that Karlsson is on another planet offensively.
And this is all a moot point anyway because Karlsson has zero relevance to this discussion. He's Swedish. The discussion was between Byfuglien and Faulk. Byfuglien is weak defensively. It's just a fact. Faulk is playing first pairing shut down minutes for Carolina, and he was just the seventh defenseman anyway and wouldn't have played if not for Martin's injury. Plus, Yandle should have made the team over Byfuglien anyway. He's at least close to Byfuglien offensively and better defensively.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
It could have been anyone beating the US, but I'm glad it was you, Teemu.

Sad to see the US lose in such embarassing fashion, but so glad to see Teemu round out the twilight of his incredible career with another Olympic medal.

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
Just a small piece of advice: Before you go around telling people to get their facts straight, you may want to make sure you have your own straight. EK hasn't even played 118 games in the last two years at the NHL and I have no idea where you're coming up with that number. Unless you're counting the 35 games he played between the SEL and Finnish league. If you did that then you conveniently forgot to include the 34 points he put up in those games. He's played all of 76 games at the NHL level the last two season and tallied 69 points for a ppg of .90. Byfuglien by comparison, has played 103 games and tallied 71 points for a ppg of .68. If we expand that back the past three years, Karlsson has 147 points in 157 games at for a ppg of .93. Byfuglien sits at 124 points in 169 games for a ppg of .73. Byfuglien's numbers are phenomenal for a defenseman, and I fully acknowledge that. However, Karlsson is scoring at .2 points more per game game than Byguflien. As a defenseman that is a staggering number. So yes, I stand by my assertion that Karlsson is on another planet offensively.
And this is all a moot point anyway because Karlsson has zero relevance to this discussion. He's Swedish. The discussion was between Byfuglien and Faulk. Byfuglien is weak defensively. It's just a fact. Faulk is playing first pairing shut down minutes for Carolina, and he was just the seventh defenseman anyway and wouldn't have played if not for Martin's injury. Plus, Yandle should have made the team over Byfuglien anyway. He's at least close to Byfuglien offensively and better defensively.

You are right man and I apologize. Was trying to add games together on my iphone and duplicated there games played for this year on accident instead of taking games played last year. But I still stand by my point that Karlsson is not in a different world offensivley over Buff, there offensive numbers are pretty comparable. Once again I apologize.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
You are right man and I apologize. Was trying to add games together on my iphone and duplicated there games played for this year on accident instead of taking games played last year. But I still stand by my point that Karlsson is not in a different world offensivley over Buff, there offensive numbers are pretty comparable. Once again I apologize.

I mean, Karlsson is approaching a point per game over the last three years. He's the best offensive defenseman on the planet. Nobody is close. A .20 ppg difference between defenseman is massive.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
On another note (sorry), how about Jori Lehtera's performance today? He looked pretty good to me. A shame he didn't want to play in the NHL. I would say the Blues should take another stab at him if it weren't for his being signed through next season with Sibir, and no longer Blues property after that (at 27 y/o). I assume we'd just be frustrated with his one-dimensional play as a Blue, anyway, but it's too bad one of our few recent (and half-way decent) centre prospects didn't pan out for us.

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
On another note (sorry), how about Jori Lehtera's performance today? He looked pretty good to me. A shame he didn't want to play in the NHL. I would say the Blues should take another stab at him if it weren't for his being signed through next season with Sibir, and no longer Blues property after that (at 27 y/o). I assume we'd just be frustrated with his one-dimensional play as a Blue, anyway, but it's too bad one of our few recent (and half-way decent) centre prospects didn't pan out for us.

I thought he looked great as well. What was the reason he didn't want to come to the NHL. Was it money?

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Last 2 seasons
Buff - 71 points/120 games
Karlsson - 69 points /118 games
Hmm.... Get your facts straight.
Yes I realize that. Just saying Faulk had no business on this years club. I like his potential but there players that bring more value to the team.
*You can even go back to '11/12 when Karlsson had his Norris trophy year. Buff was right on pace with him in points untill he got hurt.

Where are you getting your stats from?

Last two seasons:
Karlsson - 69 points in 76 games (.91 PPG) (and including playoffs 77 points in 86 games)
Byfuglien - 71 points in 103 games (.69 PPG)

"Hmm.... Get your facts straight."

Including Norris year (which is by far Byfuglien's best year PPG wise):
Karlsson - 147 points in 157 games (.94 PPG)
Byfuglien - 124 points in 163 games (.76 PPG)

Last edited:

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
Where are you getting your stats from?

Last two seasons:
Karlsson - 69 points in 76 games (.91 PPG) (and including playoffs 77 points in 86 games)
Byfuglien - 71 points in 103 games (.69 PPG)

"Hmm.... Get your facts straight."

Including Norris year (which is by far Byfuglien's best year PPG wise):
Karlsson - 147 points in 157 games (.94 PPG)
Byfuglien - 124 points in 163 games (.76 PPG)

Read above. I already apologized. It was an error while adding it up on my iphone. I still stand by that Buff is an elite offensive defenseman and he could have helped team USA.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I thought he looked great as well. What was the reason he didn't want to come to the NHL. Was it money?

I kind of put him in the same boat as Jonas Junland. Pretty much didn't want to pay his dues in the AHL.

Both of those players most likely would be on today's roster if they had stayed.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He looked adequate enough in his own zone and on the backcheck today. Is he still known for weak defence?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Sibir offered more money (after tax at least) and 2 years instead of 1. The Olympics might have also played a factor, but he is on record talking about the importance of earning as much as he can.

He looked adequate enough in his own zone and on the backcheck today. Is he still known for weak defence?

He is about average. His initial foot speed is quite poor and I think people just draw too many conclusions from that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad