OT: 2014 REDSKINS - Part IV - Are you not entertained? (3-9-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Jason Reid:

Jason Reid @JReidPost · 1h 1 hour ago

If Gruden goes back to Griffin, he'll be forced to do it by someone who's trying to save his own neck. Snyder needs to back his coach.

If Snyder backs someone who has no business even touching a football roster, well, then the dark times will continue.

Gruden had no idea what he got himself into. He does now. What a place.

Nobody knows until they get in the building. Trust me.

Sep 19, 2008
Snyder and Allen agreed that RG3 should have been benched. They can see RG3 against TAmpa and SF. He looked like ****.

Only bad QB's like Geno Smith throw for 100 yards or less in this pass-happy league. Geno had like 60 passing yards the other night. 60.

You cannot field a competent offense with a shoddy o-line and quarterback who is in poor form. Start the hot hand the rest of the year.

Someone else said...this seems eerily like Cousins starting the last few games of last year. And they didn't win a game the rest of the way. But the difference? Colt actually has a win starting a game against the Cowboys.

At the same time, the red zone problems plaguing Cousins are the same plaguing Colt. They had multiple opportunities to put up points and take advantage of good field position and didn't. I think I heard somewhere Colt had 4 downs from the goal line to score and failed last Sunday.

I think Colt should still be the starter, but it's surprising how this news leaks out after Snyder and Bruce Allen allegedly gave approval for Gruden to bench or pull RG3. Why the sudden change of heart? Did they not see RG3's last two games? Are they blind to the statistics? There's a big cover of the Sports section of the Post the day after RG3 was benched. The top...a series of 5 statistics for all three QB's, each one a scathing condemnation of RG3's play this season. Statistically, he has been the worst QB Washington has had this season. Why would you start him again this year?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
At some point in the season Gruden seemed to lose his composure and patience for the whole situation. I think it was after the Dallas win. Jerruh got his way on the sidelines and was visibly controlling things in Dallas. He made his coach play his pet, injured, star quarterback.

Snyder is ultra-competitive with Jones. And not to be outdone, he insisted RG3 get the start vs the Vikings rather than take another week plus the bye to prepare.

That was the turning point, imo. Not only because of the debacle that decision turned out to be in a football sense, but because I think that's when Gruden's illusion of control over the situation was finally, fully dispelled.

That's when he stopped trying to do and say all the right things like a new coach looking to inspire and encourage through cliche'd optimism and measured tough-love bluntness. That's when the "what the **** have I gotten myself into" and "I can't believe this, why am I putting up with this ****" looks and comments started.

If Gruden is forced to keep RG3, and RG3 doesn't miraculously return to form, I don't think Gruden lasts 3 of his 5 years. Hell, he may not last 2.

Gruden gains nothing by playing RG3, unless he somehow sabotages his performance. If RG3 gets a "test" game and is able to buck up for just one showcase performance, it may mean curtains for Gruden.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I want Shanahan as a scout. ****, I want him heading up the scouting department.

Wait, he's qualified. That won't do. Let's hire Allen's neighbor's dogsitter. Yeeeahhhh...THAT'S SOME REDSKINS FOOTBALL GUYS.

theguardian.gif

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
**** show.

Griffin isn't returning to form because the guy that created his form is now in CLE. Gruden doesn't run that type of offense, and doesn't want to. He was hired to run "his" offense and that's where the issues lay.

The fact that some are tweeting out that Snyder and Mr. Pants want to take another look at Griffin is a joke. I get their reasoning, but they are giving another shot to a player that, by all accounts, doesn't deserve another shot in the eyes of his teammate. So they would be, once again, rewarding a "me first" type player.

If that happens not only will Gruden be looking for a way out, but so would players. Garcon immediately comes to mind in that regard. His attitude this year is a lot different then his first 2 years in DC. Then factor in he was one of the players laughing and joking after the Giant game, and one of the players playing loud music while Griffin was trying to give an interview, and it seems like he is trying to get cut. Finally, we have Keim and others mentioning that Garcon might be a cap casualty based on his cap hit. Not good signs. Losing Garcon would be devastating, IMO. That guy plays hard every play. Then again, if he is trying to get cut **** him.

Finally, if the current HC and players are trying to get out of DC then you can forget getting a credible HC to replace Gruden and quality FA's to come to DC. Sure Snyder has money to throw around, but all that would do is attract more D-bag type players like Haynesworth.

In conclusion, the future looks very grim unless Griffin is sent out of town. That is the one move that could go a long way to changing the culture around Redskins Park. Kick the Diva QB to the curb and fully support the HC. But it won't happen.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
To me it sounds like Griffin is very difficult to work with. First Shanny, and now Gruden. Both seem to have been super frustrated by Griffin.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
**** show.

Griffin isn't returning to form because the guy that created his form is now in CLE. Gruden doesn't run that type of offense, and doesn't want to. He was hired to run "his" offense and that's where the issues lay.

The fact that some are tweeting out that Snyder and Mr. Pants want to take another look at Griffin is a joke. I get their reasoning, but they are giving another shot to a player that, by all accounts, doesn't deserve another shot in the eyes of his teammate. So they would be, once again, rewarding a "me first" type player.

If that happens not only will Gruden be looking for a way out, but so would players. Garcon immediately comes to mind in that regard. His attitude this year is a lot different then his first 2 years in DC. Then factor in he was one of the players laughing and joking after the Giant game, and one of the players playing loud music while Griffin was trying to give an interview, and it seems like he is trying to get cut. Finally, we have Keim and others mentioning that Garcon might be a cap casualty based on his cap hit. Not good signs. Losing Garcon would be devastating, IMO. That guy plays hard every play. Then again, if he is trying to get cut **** him.

Finally, if the current HC and players are trying to get out of DC then you can forget getting a credible HC to replace Gruden and quality FA's to come to DC. Sure Snyder has money to throw around, but all that would do is attract more D-bag type players like Haynesworth.

In conclusion, the future looks very grim unless Griffin is sent out of town. That is the one move that could go a long way to changing the culture around Redskins Park. Kick the Diva QB to the curb and fully support the HC. But it won't happen.

Rewarding a me first player? More like simple due diligence before cutting or trading a guy that cost you a fortune.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
To me it sounds like Griffin is very difficult to work with. First Shanny, and now Gruden. Both seem to have been super frustrated by Griffin.

Shanahan was frustrated when RG led them to a playoff berth as a rookie? Or he was frustrated because he broke the player and things went into a tailspin afterwards?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Rewarding a me first player? More like simple due diligence before cutting or trading a guy that cost you a fortune.

How many HC's do the Skins have to go threw before they cut their losses on a QB that does what he wants, doesn't respond to coaching?

Snyder and Mr. Pants keep undercutting HC's in favor of 1 Diva QB they will be stuck with only Haynesworth HC's willing to interview for the job.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If Shanahan couldn't tell RG was blatantly hurt than he's a fool who has no business running a team.

Which is part of why he's unemployed and will likely never be in the NFL again.

I'm not saying RG isn't to blame for a lot this season, but Shanahan blew it with the player by playing him hurt. He cost the player and he cost the team a chance to win a playoff game.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If Shanahan couldn't tell RG was blatantly hurt than he's a fool who has no business running a team.

He was hobbled the last 3 weeks of the season and the SEA game. The guy played hurt. But yeah lets discount the fact the player, at every opportunity (Ravens game and SEA game), did all he could to hide his physical status from the Doctors and the HC.

Then in the offseason, with RG2, started a media campaign putting all the blame on Shanahan.

I said it then and I will say it now, Shanahan could of done a lot of things better towards the end of the 2012 season, and the following offseason, but the QB had his own agenda. A RGME agenda. And how this season has unfolded all but proves that as fact.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Dude....he played the guy when he was clearly hurt and couldn't run the offense. YES, he broke the guy physically. That was the start of this mess.

No, Brah, this is what started all this mess:

"(Griffin) didn't even let us look at him," Andrews said. "He came off the field, walked through the sidelines, circled back through the players and took off back to the field. It wasn't our opinion.

"We didn't even get to touch him or talk to him. Scared the hell out of me."

That started a pattern by Griffin of being less than truthful, or accommodating to the medical staff, about his injury. By the time the SEA game rolled around Shanahan had no idea who to trust when it came to the health of his QB. Couldn't trust Griffin to tell him the truth and couldn't trust the Doctors. So for good or bad he rode Griffin until he knew for sure he was injured. Blame Shanahan all you want, but if Griffin had been open and honest about his physical ability starting from the Ravens game things would of turned out a lot different.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No, Brah, this is what started all this mess:

That started a pattern by Griffin of being less than truthful, or accommodating to the medical staff, about his injury. By the time the SEA game rolled around Shanahan had no idea who to trust when it came to the health of his QB. Couldn't trust Griffin to tell him the truth and couldn't trust the Doctors. So for good or bad he rode Griffin until he knew for sure he was injured. Blame Shanahan all you want, but if Griffin had been open and honest about his physical ability starting from the Ravens game things would of turned out a lot different.

More organizational ineptitude then....if the Dr's and coaches couldn't tell what EVERY SINGLE OTHER person watching the game saw, they're all morons and deserved to be fired. I don't blame Andrews, he's not in a position of authority. Shanahan crapped the bed and cost this franchise the near future by mishandling RG's injuries. I said it back then. Players want to play, but sometimes the coach has to be the "parent" and tell them no. Shanahan blew it, then pissed on the fire in the end to try and get himself fired.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
More organizational ineptitude then....if the Dr's and coaches couldn't tell what EVERY SINGLE OTHER person watching the game saw, they're all morons and deserved to be fired. I don't blame Andrews, he's not in a position of authority. Shanahan crapped the bed and cost this franchise the near future by mishandling RG's injuries. I said it back then. Players want to play, but sometimes the coach has to be the "parent" and tell them no. Shanahan blew it, then pissed on the fire in the end to try and get himself fired.

We can go back and forth on this forever. I hold professional athletes more accountable than you do. Can't change either one of us in that regard.

But its clear that, regardless of Griffin's injury in the SEA game, that RG3 and RG2 were dead set at pushing the "I want to be a pocket passer" agenda. Something Griffin is showing he cannot be. How many HC's should the Skins go through before Griffin is cut loose? The Skins have 3 1sts, a 2nd, 1 HC and likely a 2nd HC used/wasted on Griffin at this point. Is the 3rd HC the charm? How about a 4th?

Better question, would you give Griffin the 5th year option this offseason?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I didn't need to examine Griffin to tell he was ****ed well before he went down for good. Everyone I know who watched that game said the same thing. My FB feed was full of comments about getting him out of there.

Here's a radical idea: RG3 and Shanahan are both to blame for various things, and for various reasons. Maybe they both should eventually be gone.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
The Redskins make the Adam Oates led Caps teams look like the Oilers from the 80's

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
I didn't need to examine Griffin to tell he was ****ed well before he went down for good. Everyone I know who watched that game said the same thing. My FB feed was full of comments about getting him out of there.

Here's a radical idea: RG3 and Shanahan are both to blame for various things, and for various reasons. Maybe they both should eventually be gone.

Shanny ruined RG3's leg/career on purpose. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We can go back and forth on this forever. I hold professional athletes more accountable than you do. Can't change either one of us in that regard.

But its clear that, regardless of Griffin's injury in the SEA game, that RG3 and RG2 were dead set at pushing the "I want to be a pocket passer" agenda. Something Griffin is showing he cannot be. How many HC's should the Skins go through before Griffin is cut loose? The Skins have 3 1sts, a 2nd, 1 HC and likely a 2nd HC used/wasted on Griffin at this point. Is the 3rd HC the charm? How about a 4th?

Better question, would you give Griffin the 5th year option this offseason?

How exactly do you hold them accountable for anything as a fan? Answer, you can't unless you're sitting in a padded room right now. ;) And even then it's only in your head.

Shanahan was a buffoon at the end, he made his own bed. That wasn't on RG. That's not on anyone else other than himself. I understand fans like you blinded by anger and looking to blame RG, but reality is both the player and coaches have made mistakes. Hell you're mad enough that you're now supporting the Pats and one of the biggest d-bag (but still good) coaches to ever walk a sideline.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He was hobbled the last 3 weeks of the season and the SEA game. The guy played hurt. But yeah lets discount the fact the player, at every opportunity (Ravens game and SEA game), did all he could to hide his physical status from the Doctors and the HC.

Then in the offseason, with RG2, started a media campaign putting all the blame on Shanahan.

I said it then and I will say it now, Shanahan could of done a lot of things better towards the end of the 2012 season, and the following offseason, but the QB had his own agenda. A RGME agenda. And how this season has unfolded all but proves that as fact.

There was a very clear night and day difference in that Seattle game between RG3 being hobbled before he hurt himself, and afterwards where he was blatantly injured. Every single person saw it. Except Shanny, apparently, who was either incompetently oblivious or reckless. I mean, it's not like he was just limping out there. He was limping badly and his play collapsed because he couldn't throw OR run. All the red flags were there. Hell, Shanny was practically being beaten with the red flags. He ignored them.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
http://www.hngn.com/articles/51873/...ssell-thought-he-was-jesus-says-tarkenton.htm

Fran Tarkenton on RG3:

TARKENTON: I said two years ago that RG3 would not make it. This guy comes from a good family, a good background, a good school, Baylor; he’s a smart young man, physically gifted, he can throw it. But he came into the league with an arrogance. He goes into Washington, which is the worst place for him to go. They have been so hungry for a quarterback, and for winning, they worshipped him. Here’s RG3; he’s our savior, he’s our guy. His father gets involved and is in the locker room—I have never seen a father in a locker room on Sundays. The owner, Dan Snyder, adopts him and becomes his best friend. So RG3, at 21, 22, thought he was Jesus, right? And he was making pontifical statements about how he approached the game. I was listening to him the offseason after his rookie year, which was not a bad year, and I’m saying, “Holy s—, this guy is out of control with his ego.†That was the first sign you saw that he lacked leadership. Then, he was so into himself. You know a quarterback’s job? Make his teammates better. It’s not about you; it’s about your teammates. You’ve got to make them better, and if you don’t make them better, you have no chance. And he was all about RG3. I sympathize with Jay Gruden. Gruden came out and pointed out, which is right, that he has no mechanics. He is a terrible passer, has no accuracy, he doesn’t understand the offense, he doesn’t read defenses, and he has no discipline. When he is supposed to take a three-yard drop, he takes a one-yard drop; if he is supposed to take a five-yard drop, it’s a three-yard drop. There’s no discipline and understanding of the defense because he is a pontificator. He will never make it. He will be out of football. He will be in the same graveyard as JaMarcus Russell and Vince Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad