2014 REDSKINS - Part II - The Rise of Capt. Kirk (1-3-0)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Where are the polls conducted that shows that a majority of native americans find it offensive?? Check it:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/how-many-native-americans-think-redskins-is-a-slur/

There are Native American schools that call their teams Redskins. The term is used affectionately by some natives, similar to the way the N-word is used by some African-Americans. In the only recent poll to ask native people about the subject, 90 percent of respondents did not consider the term offensive, although many question the cultural credentials of the respondents.

Tommy Yazzie, superintendent of the Red Mesa school district on the Navajo Nation reservation, grew up when Navajo children were forced into boarding schools to disconnect them from their culture. Some were punished for speaking their native language. Today, he sees environmental issues as the biggest threat to his people.

The high school football team in his district is the Red Mesa Redskins.

Redskins Fan Cried Over Trademark Ruling

[B]“We just don’t think that (name) is an issue,†Yazzie said. “There are more important things like busing our kids to school, the water settlement, the land quality, the air that surrounds us. Those are issues we can take sides on.â€

“Society, they think it’s more derogatory because of the recent discussions,†Yazzie said. “In its pure form, a lot of Native American men, you go into the sweat lodge with what you’ve got — your skin. I don’t see it as derogatory.â€[/B]

So I guess an entire school made of native americans, who uses the same name/mascot, doesn't find it offensive. But certain posters here who are NOT native american do find it offensive.

You guys clearly know best though and whats good for native americans.

Didn't we already do this crap a few weeks ago??

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Didn't we already do this crap a few weeks ago??

Look my issue is with the FCC getting involved.

I think this should be handled by the market. Boycotts and decreased revenue are the best way to handle this.

Even the Oneida group says they NEVER went to the government asking for them to interveine.

Its one thing if the NFL and the american people (WITHOUT government interference) get rid of the name.

Its a whole nother issue when the FCC comes into the picture.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

I think this should be handled by the market. Boycotts and decreased revenue are the best way to handle this.

Even the Oneida group says they NEVER went to the government asking for them to interveine.

Its one thing if the NFL and the american people (WITHOUT government interference) get rid of the name.

The FCC getting involved is exactly how this should be handled. If you want to name your team after a racial slur, that's fine. Except don't expect it to be said on network television or on the radio, or to have the text shown during football broadcasts. If you're still so insistent on that being the name, then go nuts.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Ah, you're one of those free market worshippers that thinks profit motive fixes everything. Nevermind then. No getting through to you.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think its hilarious how passionate people can become about something they never knew was even an issue, until a single media entity started parroting it was an issue into their brains on a regular basis.

Wars were started on lies doing the same thing. Just keep repeating the same lies over and over, and eventually most everyone considers it as truth. Suddenly, the drums of war are being beaten by the sheeple.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think its hilarious how passionate people can become about something they never knew was even an issue, until a single media entity started parroting it was an issue into their brains on a regular basis.

Wars were started on lies doing the same thing. Just keep repeating the same lies over and over, and eventually most everyone considers it as truth. Suddenly, the drums of war are being beaten by the sheeple.

so how do you get your news? carrier pigeon?

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

I remember it being an issue for literally my entire life.

One of my college interview questions was actually about it.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Right on RH

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

I really don't buy that it's only become an issue recently. Chris Rock was lambasting the team name 25 years ago. What has gained momentum is the idea that something might actually be done to get rid of this obviously racist anachronism.

It's not so different than the state flag of Georgia. That **** was racist from the day it was conceived but they only had the appetite to do something about it recently.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
BR, I love how you spent a page and a half shouting about polls of Native Americans not finding it offensive, when just before that I posted a poll showing that 67% of Native Americans do think the term is racist. Once again, here is the link.

http://cips.csusb.edu/docs/PressRelease.pdf

The Annenberg study you posted has numerous flaws. For starters, it's not that "recent" (it was conducted in 2004). Beyond that it was only conducted via land lines and, most importantly, only required self-identification as a Native American (something that's notoriously inaccurate).

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Where did you go to college, if you don't mind me asking? When did you go? That's wild.

An engineering college near Boston. The interview was in 2004.

The process involved cutting the applicant pool down to 2x the number of eventual students based on the usual GPA/scores/essays/recommendations, and then bringing them all to the college over two weekends before the second and final cut. Part of that weekend was individual and group interviews.

Groups of 6 were given a topic that they would debate 3-against-3 after some time to prepare. Our topic was on objectionable mascots, specifically racist mascots in sports. One girl in my group's father was apparently involved in a fight to keep the Fighting Illini as the University of Illinois's mascot, so she was very pro that side. I was on the other side. Once the debate started, it quickly became about University of Illinois specifically, since she was filled with really absurd rhetoric that she'd obviously gotten from her father and it was super easy to debate against. She was way too emotionally involved, and actually broke down crying during the debate because it wasn't going her way.

My individual interview was right after, and a lot of it was a discussion about ways to interact with people that are obviously wrong but that I may have to work with again in the future. I have no idea if the girl was offered admission, but she wasn't in my freshman class.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
BR, I love how you spent a page and a half shouting about polls of Native Americans not finding it offensive, when just before that I posted a poll showing that 67% of Native Americans do think the term is racist. Once again, here is the link.

http://cips.csusb.edu/docs/PressRelease.pdf

The Annenberg study you posted has numerous flaws. For starters, it's not that "recent" (it was conducted in 2004). Beyond that it was only conducted via land lines and, most importantly, only required self-identification as a Native American (something that's notoriously inaccurate).

How accurate/meaningful is a poll of 400 with a population of over 5 mil?

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
How accurate/meaningful is a poll of 400 with a population of over 5 mil?

Assuming the 400 are selected mostly randomly, ie not self-selected or all selected out of some sub-group (such as landline owners, like the other poll cited in this thread), 400 is plenty big to represent a population of 5 million. It gives a confidence interval of around ±4.6%

95% sure that the actual percentage of those 5.2 million Native Americans against the name is between 62.4% and 71.6%, in the case of that study

See for yourself here: http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Welp...now that we've wrapped that up. Predict the final score for the next Monday Night Massacre?

SEA 31
WAS 17

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Both of those seem high.

23-7

Seattle is a bit banged up in the secondary and the Skins are really banged up. I expect a lot of points for the Seahawks early and a junk TD or two for the Skins later.

The vegas total is 45 so I'm only over by 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad