Confirmed with Link: 2014 QOs

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I'm just catching up on all the signings today. What are their comps?

Is Quincey a comp for Demers?

UFAs aren't comps for RFAs. Stralman and Niskanen are similar players as well. A guy like Franson is a low end comp. Maata is too young. The problem for Demers and DW is that there aren't a lot of similar age/experience comps out there for Demers. Relatively high scoring, low TOI player with relatively limited PP time. The scoring brings the compensation up, the TOI brings it down.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
UFAs aren't comps for RFAs. Stralman and Niskanen are similar players as well. A guy like Franson is a low end comp. Maata is too young. The problem for Demers and DW is that there aren't a lot of similar age/experience comps out there for Demers. Relatively high scoring, low TOI player with relatively limited PP time. The scoring brings the compensation up, the TOI brings it down.

What do you think about using Faulk's 1st years as a comp for Demers? (I'd like to see him get a 2, 3 yr deal.)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think Wingels will be the hardest to sign. Not that his demands are outrageous but he's 26 and probably looking for a 4 or 5 year term. His play style doesn't lend to a long shelf life. Demers is also tricky because he produced well but played 3rd pairing minutes for part of the season. I'm assuming going into next year its

Vlasic-Burns
Braun-Demers

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
What do you think about using Faulk's 1st years as a comp for Demers? (I'd like to see him get a 2, 3 yr deal.)
Faulk had high draft pick and better minutes added to his salary. He is pretty close on the front end of that deal. I would include those first years as a loose comp, like Franson is a loose comp the other way.

High draft picks get a small premium for their projection rather than for their actual play. See Del Zotto.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Wingels will be the hardest to sign. Not that his demands are outrageous but he's 26 and probably looking for a 4 or 5 year term. His play style doesn't lend to a long shelf life. Demers is also tricky because he produced well but played 3rd pairing minutes for part of the season. I'm assuming going into next year its

Vlasic-Burns
Braun-Demers

I just want Braun to be at maximum effectiveness. If he can play as well on the left as he can on the right then fine but I don't want to go in with that being the only option. If we go with Burns, Braun, and Demers on the right side, we could have three potentially decent pairings though even if it's weaker on the left side..

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Sena Acolatse signs with the Calgary Flames.

Now I generally pay no attention to how quickly players who weren't qualified find NHL jobs, but under 72 hours seems pretty quick to me.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Now I generally pay no attention to how quickly players who weren't qualified find NHL jobs, but under 72 hours seems pretty quick to me.

Not really surprised, played in the WHL and Adirondack's head coach Ryan Huska was Kelowna's coach when Sena was in junior, so there is a connection.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Not really surprised, played in the WHL and Adirondack's head coach Ryan Huska was Kelowna's coach when Sena was in junior, so there is a connection.

pierre-mcguire-headshot.jpg

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

He wasn't an RFA but it didn't take long for McCarthy to find a job either:

Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva
Blues signed John McCarthy to a one year deal. Its a 2 way contract worth $600 000. #tvasports

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com

I'm so irritated by the sharks not resigning him. I still think he can become an nhl player. Plus he's tough as nails.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I'm so irritated by the sharks not resigning him. I still think he can become an nhl player. Plus he's tough as nails.

I really don't understand not qualifying a young defenseman that can play both sides and obviously hasn't hit his developmental peak yet...there isn't a single logical reason to not have qualified him.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
I really don't understand not qualifying a young defenseman that can play both sides and obviously hasn't hit his developmental peak yet...there isn't a single logical reason to not have qualified him.

Even trying to think like DW/the org ...I can't explain it. Perhaps they want only nifty skating defencemen? I'd have a hard time believing there are off-ice issues or anything of that nature. Sena really seemed like a good kid. Could his injuries be worse than we know? I know he had the broken jaw and probably was concussed pretty badly ...but he's young.

I'd like to see Doug answer the question of why they felt Sena didn't deserve more of a look, directly.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Probably needed the contract slot for John Scott.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Even trying to think like DW/the org ...I can't explain it. Perhaps they want only nifty skating defencemen? I'd have a hard time believing there are off-ice issues or anything of that nature. Sena really seemed like a good kid. Could his injuries be worse than we know? I know he had the broken jaw and probably was concussed pretty badly ...but he's young.

I'd like to see Doug answer the question of why they felt Sena didn't deserve more of a look, directly.

He got "minor" concussions with both facial injuries but recovered from both of them very quickly, and his last injury was a broken lower leg...I don't recall him ever missing any time from a "soft tissue" injury, just the three broken bones from blocking shots. And other than being late a couple times early in his rookie season for team meetings I'm unaware of any off the ice issues that would make SJ hesitant about qualifying him.

I really don't get why they didn't qualify him.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The joke made me look. Just glancing at the list San Jose has a ton of open NHL contract spots right now, even counting guys like Wingels, Demers, and Sheppard as signed (I know they aren't yet)...like 10, give or take, and not accounting for the ones that could potentially slide.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The joke made me look. Just glancing at the list San Jose has a ton of open NHL contract spots right now, even counting guys like Wingels, Demers, and Sheppard as signed (I know they aren't yet)...like 10, give or take, and not accounting for the ones that could potentially slide.

Isn't that... unusual? I mean aren't we usually at like one below the limit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad