Confirmed with Link: 2014 QOs

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Also pretty bummed they didn't qualify Brody Reid. Another guy I think has some potential.
Do you guys know if there is still a possibility he gets signed by the Sharks?

I understand them not qualifying Reid and it's very doubtful that he'll be signed.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Isn't that... unusual? I mean aren't we usually at like one below the limit?

It's early but they usually end up leaving 2 slots open. They broke the trend last year by filling 50 slots. By keeping 2 slots open, it makes it easier to do imbalanced trades and to sign high end undrafted college guys who can burn a year off with minimal games. By comparison, Carolina always has a ton of open slots (5 or more) and Philly almost always runs at 50.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
It's early but they usually end up leaving 2 slots open. They broke the trend last year by filling 50 slots. By keeping 2 slots open, it makes it easier to do imbalanced trades and to sign high end undrafted college guys who can burn a year off with minimal games. By comparison, Carolina always has a ton of open slots (5 or more) and Philly almost always runs at 50.

It's not something I generally keep track of, but my recollection is SJ is usually at 49 or 50 (not including sliding contracts)...is there a site that lists previous seasons totals?

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
It's not something I generally keep track of, but my recollection is SJ is usually at 49 or 50 (not including sliding contracts)...is there a site that lists previous seasons totals?
I just do it by recall. They were consistently around 48 and below through the MacIntyre signing for the entire time since they started in Cleveland. Recently, they have pushed the limit. I believe they were at 49 in the shortened season and 50 this past season. It was an eyebrow raiser with the implication for signings of quality undrafteds. They are front and center for the number of undrafteds that they sign, it is a very high number relative to other teams.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Hopefully they figure out a deal. I saw it coming though. Great regular season, real downer of a post season.

A lot of pretty good players going to arbitration though. Maybe DW can poach someone.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Players going to arb can no longer be offer sheeted.

According to Brodie:
Brodie Brazil @brodiebrazilCSN
Congrats to Tommy Wingels, set to ink a 3 year deal with #SJSharks pic.twitter.com/VzOmQaM7hN

That's good news.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
After every playoffs where Demers seems to either get injured or go invisible. I'm kind of starting to dislike him as a player along with his off ice attitude. It's sad because when he and vlasic were our best pairing in 2011 (?) He was my second fave dman.

I hope he can figure things out. This season looked like he was going to turn it around... Until the playoffs.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
He gets a deal.
Past a certain salary benchmark, a team has walkaway rights after player initiated arbitration. A deal is not a certainty although I suspect that the Sharks will pay the award.

I do think that Demers will look to walk at UFA as Burns has been moved to defense and will likely take the #1 QB role. That role is money out of Demers pocket and I suspect that he thinks that he has earned his shot at it.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I could see Demers being shipped out maybe as a part of a big package somewhere if we trade JT or PM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad