Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Pre-Season/Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Andy Strickland @andystrickland
Hockey fans in KC...#stlblues and Dallas Stars set to play a pre-season game Sept. 27th at Sprint Center. Internet pre-sale tomorrow 10-10

Last edited by a moderator:

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Still amazes me that thing was built with no major tenant. Now going on 6 and a half years.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Was around the time the Penguins were in danger of leaving, if I remember correctly.

Believe their mayor has since come out and said that they're doing just fine without a pro team there.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
There were also rumors whenever Phoenix nearly fell out, that KC could've been the destination.

I could see Seattle and KC getting the next two teams actually. If they don't go Canada, obviously.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I could see Seattle and KC getting the next two teams actually. If they don't go Canada, obviously.

Kansas City getting an NHL team would be a disaster. The area is simply not that interested in hockey, those that are probably already follow the Blues. It's also just not that big of a city. I was born and spent most of my childhood in that neck of the woods, it would not end well. They would be better served by getting an NBA team, and I don't really see that league clamoring to put a team in there.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Kansas City getting an NHL team would be a disaster. The area is simply not that interested in hockey, those that are probably already follow the Blues. It's also just not that big of a city. I was born and spent most of my childhood in that neck of the woods, it would not end well. They would be better served by getting an NBA team, and I don't really see that league clamoring to put a team in there.

Yeah, don't see KC supporting a NHL team. The best choices for expansion teams would be Seattle and Saskatoon.

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
Houston needs a team it is the biggest city in US/Canada without a team and would easily support a team.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Not gonna happen in Houston without a new arena. That obviously would be best thing for the Stars.

I would love to see an Aeros NHL team, not sure a new Arena is needed though, they just need the Rockets owner to be involved in the ownership, which is a long shot. Same issue with Portland.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I would love to see an Aeros NHL team, not sure a new Arena is needed though, they just need the Rockets owner to be involved in the ownership, which is a long shot. Same issue with Portland.

Long shot indeed, which is why a new arena would be needed. :laugh:

Why were the Aeros (ahl) moved out of Houston?

Couldn't negotiate a new lease so Wild moved them.

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
Why were the Aeros (ahl) moved out of Houston?

They are Minnesota's farm team, and the Wild moved them to Iowa; closer to Minnesota.

The Rockets owner Les Alexander charged them too much for rent and the closer to Minnesota thing was defiantly the major factor. They also made the hockey locker room smaller once they upgraded/expanded the Rockets locker rooms this summer.

I have heard Les Alexander still wants an NHL team though. I am pretty sure Houston could support an NHL team. I am curious how many Stars fans in H-Town there are? My uncle worked for the Aeros and was mad when they moved.

I am a Rocket/Astros/Stars/Cowboys fan btw its a weird combo.

I'm not trying to derail the thread but since we are playing in KC in preseason I thought it was pretty boring convo (no offense).

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Houston should be next in line. Florida has multiple teams, California has multiple teams, why doesn't Texas? And as already said Houston is the largest NA market without an NHL team.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Houston should be next in line. Florida has multiple teams, California has multiple teams, why doesn't Texas? And as already said Houston is the largest NA market without an NHL team.

And those teams in Florida are barely making money, and the once star of southern hockey Dallas has faded significantly as well. They just gave up on Atlanta. Phoenix is a mess.

It sucks, and I believe Dallas will bounce back in a big way, but the money is further north. They've been dealing with failing organizations in the South too long to take a chance on another right now.

Houston's almost never even mentioned when they talk about expansion. It's Hamilton, Quebec City, Seattle .. those seem to be the usual suspects.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Houston is only mentioned as an hopeful, not an actual contender now a days at least.

I'd be shocked if Seattle isn't the first city to get one.

If and when it happens I would expect them to do it all at once ... two team, one expansion draft. That'll be awful ... the expansion draft. Last time you didn't have to protect prospects IIRC so that's a plus.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX

You know I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking when I said this. Had them confused with OKC. OKC could fill the building with Barons games a few years ago.

Scratch that post.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
You know I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking when I said this. Had them confused with OKC. OKC could fill the building with Barons games a few years ago.

Scratch that post.

OKC lead the minor leagues (across all boards) in attendance for a couple of years. They routinely had 10,000 in their building when they had the Blazers.

But that was also before the Thunder moved in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad