2014 Olympics Thread (2/12-2/23)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 1m

Update: the team that scores first is 24-4 in these Olympics. Only seven total lead changes in 28 games.

Parity, ammiright

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That was called back checking

Standing 3 guys on the defensive blueline with the two D standing on the faceoff dots is backchecking? Then when they gain the zone, stack 5 in the middle? Cmon now, they trapped it up after they scored. They deserved to win, they were better.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Play that game ten times and we win five and the Canadians win five. Retroactively rebuilding the squad still gets you 5-5 most of the time.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I don't know that the US would've won on smaller ice, but I guarantee the game would've been more fun to watch.

Pretty much. I guess you never appreciate the small ice until you see the other side of it. Teams were trying to dump and chase against the trap, but once they retrieved it, they had all the space in the world due to the big ice. Forechecking was useless

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Standing 3 guys on the defensive blueline with the two D standing on the faceoff dots is backchecking? Then when they gain the zone, stack 5 in the middle? Cmon now, they trapped it up after they scored. They deserved to win, they were better.

Well the forward got back as he is supposed to, that is why Babcock ran 4 lines and cut shift length down. Everyone is always fresh. You also dont get 37 shots and outshoot an opponent in a trap, Cmon now

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And I agree, I hate big ice very much. Why dont they just make the neutral zone bigger... its very annoying

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Well the forward got back as he is supposed to, that is why Babcock ran 4 lines and cut shift length down. Everyone is always fresh. You also dont get 37 shots and outshoot an opponent in a trap, Cmon now

They were aggressive offensively, I will give you that. Once they got in the zone, they didnt leave easily.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't see anything even remotely resembling a trap until the third period when they kept their center in a withdrawn position. Not enough scoring ability up top for the U.S.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Was Richards the eye in the sky? Or was he a healthy scratch? Never saw him behind the bench.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
It's very hard to penetrate the scoring zone in front of net on big ice with the structure of Canada's defensive style. Finland is very similar.

This Olympics did convince me that bigger ice isn't the way to increase scoring.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't know that the US would've won on smaller ice, but I guarantee the game would've been more fun to watch.

Agreed. People who don't usually watch hockey were telling me today that the US-Canada game was great and exciting.

...Uh, what? I found it to be extremely boring with very little excitement with regards to sustained offense or even physicality. It would be there sporadically, sure, but mostly it was just turnover after turnover going both directions.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It's very hard to penetrate the scoring zone in front of net on big ice with the structure of Canada's defensive style. Finland is very similar.

This Olympics did convince me that bigger ice isn't the way to increase scoring.

I love the big ice. While I don't know that it increases scoring, many of the scoring plays are beautiful. On small ice many of the goals are the "jam it in the net" variety.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Pretty much. I guess you never appreciate the small ice until you see the other side of it. Teams were trying to dump and chase against the trap, but once they retrieved it, they had all the space in the world due to the big ice. Forechecking was useless

Yeah it looks like that when you play against Shea Weber, Keith, Doughty, etc.. Throw some credit will ya.

If only there were a defenseman with a reputation as a scoring blueliner who had a significant history with USA hockey.

I really have no idea who you are referring to. You might be referring to Keith Yandle, which would be an oblique reference on the Jackets board, or you might be one of those strange people who still think of Jack Johnson as a "scoring blueliner", which he assuredly is not, ranking 6th in scoring per minute 5 on 5 after the other 5 Jackets blueliners.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I thought this game was tremendously exciting, with frenetic intensity on every play. Of course, if you were rooting for the Americans, then I bet the third was frustrating. But every play was world class players giving their all. Team Canada is built for shutdown (outside of maybe Duchene, name one player who can't play great shutdown when directed) which I hope any hockey fan could admire as its a big part of hockey.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yeah it looks like that when you play against Shea Weber, Keith, Doughty, etc.. Throw some credit will ya.

It's not like David Backes, Ryan Callahan, TJ Oshie, Dustin Brown, and Zach Parise are terrible forecheckers/bangers.

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
I think the hockey has been thrilling. I love the big ice. The stretch passes, the room to dance while attempting to gain the line, flip side-to-side no-look passing behind the paint, etc.

What I really love more than anything is that Bob didn't get injured and now we can get back to what matters most; Jackets Hockey.:handclap::handclap:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
defense.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad