2014 Olympics Thread (2/12-2/23)

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm a homer, but seriously.... What have Dubi and JJ done to deserve a spot?

JJ, I agree with. Even with his improved play over the last 15 games, he doesn't deserve a spot over Faulk/Fowler/E Johnson. If he makes the team, it'll be based on his willingness to be a good soldier for USA Hockey in the past

Dubinsky however, would be a great energy player for Team USA. You can't just dress the 12 best scorers at forward and expect to win. I think he'd be a great Olympic 4th liner.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
JJ, I agree with. Even with his improved play over the last 15 games, he doesn't deserve a spot over Faulk/Fowler/E Johnson. If he makes the team, it'll be based on his willingness to be a good soldier for USA Hockey in the past

Dubinsky however, would be a great energy player for Team USA. You can't just dress the 12 best scorers at forward and expect to win. I think he'd be a great Olympic 4th liner.

I agree. He'd be perfect in a checking/hustle/defense/with some offense role.

thebus2288*

Ya I doubt JJ gets the call. Its funny that Rimer and other broadcasters have been bringing his name up when its pretty clear this year he's not one of the top guys. Even more funny(in a negative way) is the fact that Dubi hasn't been hyped up more for a spot by these same guys. Would literally be a perfect "role player" in the Olympics. **** Dubinsky has the same(off 1 game) PPG avg as our new 7 mil a year superstar while playing better defensively.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
No Dubi or JJ, yet Brooks Orpik and Derek Stepan somehow made it.

Poile hates Columbus :shakehead

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
There has to be some backdoor deals being made because there are a ton of guys who weren't named that are better then half the roster who did.

No Yandle, Okoposo, Erik Johnson, Dubinsky, Schneider or Bobby Ryan?

The Olympics are played on big ice, so why are guys like Orpik and Martin on this team?

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Wonderful. Team USA is being run by guys who still think forwards lines have to be 2 scoring lines, a checking line and a line with bangers with little offense. Bobby Ryan was left off because they didn't think he could play top 6 (why they think this is beyond me) and he's was automatically disqualified for the other 2 lines because he doesn't hit enough.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/...us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Politics. It has to be. All of the above mentioned slights and Howard (2.72 gaa & .907 save %) over Ben Bishop (1.89 gaa, .935 save %)?

I think I'm going to root for Sweden. My great,great grandmother was from there so I feel some allegiance. :laugh:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Wonderful. Team USA is being run by guys who still think forwards lines have to be 2 scoring lines, a checking line and a line with bangers with little offense. Bobby Ryan was left off because they didn't think he could play top 6 (why they think this is beyond me) and he's was automatically disqualified for the other 2 lines because he doesn't hit enough.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/...us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

Very interesting read and you don't often get that much insight into the behind-the-scenes process. It's clear that Burke still holds considerable sway on the overall shaping of the team.

Jack Johnson's roller-coaster ride across the 'selection board' the last few months was particularly interesting. I suspect he will end up going, as a fill-in for an injury.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I think I'm going to root for Sweden. My great,great grandmother was from there so I feel some allegiance. :laugh:

Rose-Nylund-300x182.jpg

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
There has to be some backdoor deals being made because there are a ton of guys who weren't named that are better then half the roster who did.

No Yandle, Okoposo, Erik Johnson, Dubinsky, Schneider or Bobby Ryan?

The Olympics are played on big ice, so why are guys like Orpik and Martin on this team?

Consider the head coach.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I kinda see why Dubinsky wasn't selected, I don't think his game would translate over to the bigger ice that well. /shrug

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Poile asks if they are being too hard on Jack Johnson, but no one rises to Johnson's rescue.

this line speaks volumes...no one includes his head coach...

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Politics. It has to be. All of the above mentioned slights and Howard (2.72 gaa & .907 save %) over Ben Bishop (1.89 gaa, .935 save %)?

I'm still cheering for USA. And in all honestly, Orpik and to a lesser extent Martin are the only "WTF?" selections.

But reading that MFRONE article made me less confident.

Later, as a counterpoint, Brian Burke says he'd had a dream the U.S. team lost a medal game because of a mistake made by 19-year-old rookie defenseman Seth Jones.

"Are we correct in this decision that Jack Johnson is not going to be on the team?" Poile asks the group.

That, for the moment, is the decision.

Burke questions the group's collective decision in giving the last spot to an offensive player when it might be better to have a shutdown guy like Erik Johnson on board. Burke offers up his personal doubts that Jones is ready for this competition and relates his own dream moment.

"I had a nightmare the other night he cost us a medal with a mistake," Burke says.

Were they picking a hockey team or interpreting each others' dreams?

putersmash.gif

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Poile asks if they are being too hard on Jack Johnson, but no one rises to Johnson's rescue.

this line speaks volumes...no one includes his head coach...

Unless I missed it, I didn't see where coaches were a part if that discussion. I thought this was a GM/team USA management discussion.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
2014 Team USA

Goalies Hometown NHL Club

Jimmy Howard Syracuse, N.Y. Detroit Red Wings
Ryan Miller East Lansing, Mich. Buffalo Sabres
Jonathan Quick Milford, Conn. Los Angeles Kings

Defensemen Hometown NHL Club

John Carlson Colonia, N.J. Washington Capitals
Justin Faulk South St. Paul, Minn. Carolina Hurricanes
Cam Fowler Farmington Hills, Mich. Anaheim Ducks
Paul Martin Minneapolis, Minn. Pittsburgh Penguins
Ryan McDonagh St. Paul, Minn. New York Rangers
Brooks Orpik San Francisco, Calif. Pittsburgh Penguins
Kevin Shattenkirk New Rochelle, N.Y. St. Louis Blues
Ryan Suter Madison, Wis. Minnesota Wild

Forwards Hometown NHL Club

David Backes Minneapolis, Minn. St. Louis Blues
Dustin Brown Ithaca, N.Y. Los Angeles Kings
Ryan Callahan Rochester, N.Y. New York Rangers
Patrick Kane Buffalo, N.Y. Chicago Blackhawks
Ryan Kesler Livonia, Mich. Vancouver Canucks
Phil Kessel Madison, Wis. Toronto Maple Leafs
T.J. Oshie Warroad, Minn. St. Louis Blues
Max Pacioretty New Canaan, Conn. Montreal Canadiens
Zach Parise Minneapolis, Minn. Minnesota Wild
Joe Pavelski Plover, Wis. San Jose Sharks
Paul Stastny St. Louis, Mo. Colorado Avalanche
Derek Stepan Hastings, Minn. New York Rangers
James van Riemsdyk Middletown, N.J. Toronto Maple Leafs
Blake Wheeler Robbinsdale, Minn. Winnipeg Jets

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Orpik and Faulk over Yandle really confuses me

Not really comparable players but Faulk and Orpik were apparently in way before likely due to their different play styles. It was down to Jack Johnson, Yandle, and Fowler for the final spot and Fowler beat out the other two.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Got to feel for JJ. He had a spot on the team absolutely locked up, especially with his play on the Jackets once he came over from the trade, the world championships, and last years play.

But his play this year hasn't been to that standard and his offensive production has fallen. That and with young players improving around the league, he ruined his own chances. Maybe this will be good for him and he goes back to last years JJ

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The question is why did his play fall off so badly this year. Is it just a slump or are things happening behind the scenes that have disrupted his play?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The question is why did his play fall off so badly this year. Is it just a slump or are things happening behind the scenes that have disrupted his play?

I would guess it's just an off year. Maybe he didn't do his due diligence in the offseason due to his injury (Couldn't play in the Worlds because of it) and didn't get up to the pack. He's been alot better recently, but he looks like the same old JJ off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad