2014 Olympic Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
My only hope is that Koivu doesn't burn himself out and takes the month long slump he's been into February. Can we just wrap him in bubble wrap and make sure he doesn't play much?

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
My only hope is that Koivu doesn't burn himself out and takes the month long slump he's been into February. Can we just wrap him in bubble wrap and make sure he doesn't play much?

Koivu? Not play much? In the Olympics? That, my friend, is a pipe dream. He's got 20+ minutes per game waiting for him in Russia. Well, maybe a little less in the first two games because there's no need to wear anyone out against Norway and Austria.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

I don't think we need to worry about Koivu burning himself out. He doesn't seem to mind big minutes.

Big C

May 13, 2012
Koivu? Not play much? In the Olympics? That, my friend, is a pipe dream. He's got 20+ minutes per game waiting for him in Russia. Well, maybe a little less in the first two games because there's no need to wear anyone out against Norway and Austria.

You don't wanna underestimate the Norwegians.. or so I've heard..

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Parise and Suter officially on Team USA.

Pominville did not make it. That blows.

There are eight Minnesotans in total. Easily the most of any state.

David Backes, Justin Faulk, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, T.J. Oshie, Zach Parise, Derek Stepan, and Blake Wheeler

A truly fantastic group of forwards and defenders. And yet no goalie to speak of :laugh:

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
There are eight Minnesotans in total. Easily the most of any state.

David Backes, Justin Faulk, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, T.J. Oshie, Zach Parise, Derek Stepan, and Blake Wheeler

A truly fantastic group of forwards and defenders. And yet no goalie to speak of :laugh:

Glee-proud.gif

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
It seems Pominville never got any real consideration:
Like Bishop, Poile notes that Jason Pominville and Kyle Okposo are having great seasons but haven't been given much, if any, consideration.

Still, the belief is that neither Pominville nor Okposo is built for the big ice, and their names will rarely, if ever, be heard in relation to making the team going forward.
Link to an extremely detailed article on the entire process. A decent read.
On captaincy:
Zach Parise, David Backes, Dustin Brown, Patrick Kane and Ryan Callahan are all returning members of the '10 team. They will form the nucleus of the offensive group in Sochi. It is from this group a captain will emerge.
So it seems that Suter is out of the running for captain. Hopefully Parise gets it. But I could definitely see either Callahan or Backes getting it as well.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Too bad for Pominville :( But I don't get how anyone can be asking why Ben Bishop's not on the team. He played in the World Championships in Helsinki last spring and could barely have caught a sofa if one had been sent his way. His positioning was terrible and he seemed to have little idea on how to play on the bigger ice surface. No team can afford to bring in a goalie like that if they're aware of the problem.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
No Bobby Ryan or Keith Yandle for team USA. Apparently the selection group didn't like Yandle's defense and Ryan didn't slot into the bottom 6. Still, Orpik makes the team over Yandle? Hard to not think there's some Pens bias there.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
No Bobby Ryan or Keith Yandle for team USA. Apparently the selection group didn't like Yandle's defense and Ryan didn't slot into the bottom 6. Still, Orpik makes the team over Yandle? Hard to not think there's some Pens bias there.

I hate to say I agree, but I do. Orpik has no business on this team over Erik Johnson.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

I think the main reason Orpik was picked is simply his role. I guess the right players, not the best players necessarily.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I think the main reason Orpik was picked is simply his role. I guess the right players, not the best players necessarily.

I know you're stating a very valid point but what does Brooks ****ing Orpik bring to the table that Keith Yandle or Erik Johnson would not bring?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I know you're stating a very valid point but what does Brooks ****ing Orpik bring to the table that Keith Yandle or Erik Johnson would not bring?

The knock on Yandle was his defense and Burke specifically was against him. I guess Pavelski would be on the point on the PP and would make a purely offensive D like Yandle expendable. Still, can't imagine why the highest scoring American D over the last 4 years gets omitted, especially with his mobility and big ice.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Zenon Konopka verified
FYI -Jason Pominville is eligible for team U.S.A. As well ... This guy is so good and he's such a gamer #toughchoices #Sochi2014

Sounds like Konopka is bummed Pominville didn't make it. That blows.

Orpik is a rough crease-clearing guy. He'll sacrifice the body for damn near anything. Blocks shots, lays some great hits, and is reliable defensively. He is pretty much nothing when it comes to offense, but playing actual defense he might be one of the top three defenders defensive-wise on the team.

Both Johnson and Yandle are offensive minded or -at best- two way players. Maybe the USA Brass wanted a strict defensive minded guy for certain situations?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Maybe the USA Brass wanted a strict defensive minded guy for certain situations?

This seemed to be the theme in 2010 and they'll be using the same concept in Sochi.

I was just thinking Yandle might have been a good replacement for Rafalski on that top pairing with Suter. Can't help but think that Yandle would've had a better shot if he played out East vs the desert.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
This seemed to be the theme in 2010 and they'll be using the same concept in Sochi.

I was just thinking Yandle might have been a good replacement for Rafalski on that top pairing with Suter. Can't help but think that Yandle would've had a better shot if he played out East vs the desert.

Which I 100% agree with you right there. Suter needs that offensive minder player. They are banking on Martin to be that player and he's still hurt.

J22*

Sounds like Konopka is bummed Pominville didn't make it. That blows.

Orpik is a rough crease-clearing guy. He'll sacrifice the body for damn near anything. Blocks shots, lays some great hits, and is reliable defensively. He is pretty much nothing when it comes to offense, but playing actual defense he might be one of the top three defenders defensive-wise on the team.

Both Johnson and Yandle are offensive minded or -at best- two way players. Maybe the USA Brass wanted a strict defensive minded guy for certain situations?

I gotta believe that Bylsma is the only reason that Orpik is on the team. Really have a hard time believing that any of the GM's would even consider him for an Olympics on big ice.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Which I 100% agree with you right there. Suter needs that offensive minder player. They are banking on Martin to be that player and he's still hurt.

Everybody they've selected is expected to be healthy for the games, but yeah, they're banking on a bunch of guys to be completely healed by then. Yandle has been healthy and playing well so far this season.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I gotta believe that Bylsma is the only reason that Orpik is on the team. Really have a hard time believing that any of the GM's would even consider him for an Olympics on big ice.

I gave Orpik making this team a snowballs chance in hell. I was wrong and I think it is because they are doing this "chemistry" thing. Orpik didn't bring a lot in 2010, what is he bringing this time around? He has to be an alternate and Fowler/Faulk are the main one. HAS to be....

Regardless....very young team. Meshed the vets with the youth movement. I do like that aspect. I think that is what screwed them in 2006

Everybody they've selected is expected to be healthy for the games, but yeah, they're banking on a bunch of guys to be completely healed by then. Yandle has been healthy and playing well so far this season.

Just blows my mind...

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So let us talk lines:

Parise-Stepan-Kane
JVR-Backes-Kessel
Wheeler-Pavelski-Oshie
Brown-Kesler-Callahan

Suter-Martin
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Carlson-Fowler

Miller
Quick

Rest are alternates/healthy scratches

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I gave Orpik making this team a snowballs chance in hell. I was wrong and I think it is because they are doing this "chemistry" thing. Orpik didn't bring a lot in 2010, what is he bringing this time around? He has to be an alternate and Fowler/Faulk are the main one. HAS to be....

Apparently, the final blueline spot was between Jack Johnson, Yandle, and Fowler. Orpik made the cut before any of those guys. Fowler isn't a terrible pick, I just would've preferred Yandle.

Ray Shero is also one of the GM's involved with selection.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Apparently, the final blueline spot was between Jack Johnson, Yandle, and Fowler. Orpik made the cut before any of those guys. Fowler isn't a terrible pick, I just would've preferred Yandle.

Jack Johnson is probably the most decorated USA player ever, but Erik Johnson is a travesty for not even being in this consideration.

Orpik picked that quick either has to do with the 2010 "vet" - 2 - youth ratio or Blysma wants his guys there since they'll clearly be playing a style like Pittsburgh.

I would have preferred

Suter-Yandle
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Carlson-E. Johnson

Fowler and Martin were my alternates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad