2014 Olympic Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Seeing as selections are less than a month away, I was looking over our roster and we have potentially 8 players representing the Wild in Sochi and at least 3 who are likely captain material, if not captain locks.

USA
Parise (could captain)
Suter (SHOULD captain)
Pominville (maybe)

Finland
Koivu (SHOULD captain)
Granlund

Canada
Harding (should really get a good shot at that 3rd goalie spot)

Sweden
Brodin

Switzerland
Niederreiter

That's pretty danged impressive to have that many potential players in on these national teams. Just wanting to see what your guys opinions are on Poms and Harding (I think the rest are complete locks) making or not making the teams and who you think could captain their respective teams.

Self-Updating Medal Count:
medalcount.php

Credit: Step7750

Last edited by a moderator:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parise or Suter could captain, but I really think Callahan is going to get the nod. I have no evidence, just a gut feeling.

Pominville may make the team, but I'm not completely sure they'll pick him. I could see them going big and tough like Abdelkader. Of course, if Abdelkader isn't healthy by the Olympics, that only helps Pominville's case. Still, he's got to beat Stepan, Dubinsky, Galchenyuk, etc. There's not much room on the team. If he wants it, he has to start scoring goals again, regularly.
If they want a scorer, they'll take the best of Galchenyuk and Pominville and Oshie. If they want a tougher guy, they'll take one of Dubinsky or van Riemsdyk (or Abdelkader, if healthy). If they want a strong defensive guy, they'll take Stepan, Dubinsky, or Pominville.

Harding should get a shot at the starting job on team Canada! I think it's unlikely that will happen, however, and it's also possible he doesn't even make the team. They could go traditional (that is to say, in line with popular opinion), and pick Luongo, Price and another goalie that's been impressive and actually won something recently, like Crawford. Harding, however, deserves to be on that team. Let's see if Canada actually takes him to Russia.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Parise SHOULD be the US captain. Him or Backes.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Parise or Suter could captain, but I really think Callahan is going to get the nod. I have no evidence, just a gut feeling.

Pominville may make the team, but I'm not completely sure they'll pick him. I could see them going big and tough like Abdelkader. Of course, if Abdelkader isn't healthy by the Olympics, that only helps Pominville's case. Still, he's got to beat Stepan, Dubinsky, Galchenyuk, etc. There's not much room on the team. If he wants it, he has to start scoring goals again, regularly.
If they want a scorer, they'll take the best of Galchenyuk and Pominville and Oshie. If they want a tougher guy, they'll take one of Dubinsky or van Riemsdyk (or Abdelkader, if healthy). If they want a strong defensive guy, they'll take Stepan, Dubinsky, or Pominville.

Harding should get a shot at the starting job on team Canada! I think it's unlikely that will happen, however, and it's also possible he doesn't even make the team. They could go traditional (that is to say, in line with popular opinion), and pick Luongo, Price and another goalie that's been impressive and actually won something recently, like Crawford. Harding, however, deserves to be on that team. Let's see if Canada actually takes him to Russia.

Callahan will be lucky to make the team. He's out a 4-6 weeks right now, and wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire when playing. There are much better options out there than grabbing a 4th liner(on the olympic team) for grit coming off an knee injury.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
canadian officials have got to be looking at Harding, how can they not be? Dude has been on fire this year.

Well if they aren't it's probably similar reasons to why Suter was snubbed for Norris and Brodin for Calder. We might not be visible enough.

THEALLKNOWING*

Plenty of US born players that are currently Captains of their NHL teams. One would think they would get the nod before Parise. Considering how much time he spends on the ice, plus his accolades from last year, I would think Suter would be considered ahead of Parise. But none of us know how these things work. Backes or Suter I'm guessing.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Well if they aren't it's probably similar reasons to why Suter was snubbed for Norris and Brodin for Calder. We might not be visible enough.

They are looking at him for sure, its Hockey Canada, not ESPN... I only see him making it if he keeps his lights out play up till roster release.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Callahan will be lucky to make the team. He's out a 4-6 weeks right now, and wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire when playing. There are much better options out there than grabbing a 4th liner(on the olympic team) for grit coming off an knee injury.

Huh, didn't even realize he was injured. Maybe this is why I'm sucking at fantasy hockey this year! haha

Still, Callahan wasn't going to make team USA because of his offense, he was making it because of his leadership and his defensive play in the NHL, and his wheels. And because he's a USA hockey darling, for whatever reason.
We'll see if he's healthy in time to play. I see it was a recent injury, so I doubt he'll be fully healthy and in game shape by then. Yeah, I could see them not bringing him! You're probably right.

Backes or Suter I'm guessing.

That would be my guess too, now that I know Callahan is injured.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Koivu is a lock for Finland's captain. He's been our captain for a long, long time.

Wrong Koivu :sarcasm:

And Suter will most likely be Captain. No one has given me a legit reason as to why either Backes or Callahan should wear the "C" other than STL is playing great and Backes fought basically all of Canada last year, and Callahan plays for the Rangers. If Blysma lets this be voted by Committee, I can see it either going to Suter or Erik Johnson.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Really? I just see Parise as being much more of a captain type than Suter. Suter sets an example with his play but he just doesn't seem vocal enough to be a captain. I have no idea how he is behind the scenes though.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
For Finland, captaincy goes to Mikko or Saku. I hope it's Mikko, but I think it will be Saku.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
For Finland, captaincy goes to Mikko or Saku. I hope it's Mikko, but I think it will be Saku.

No, it will be Mikko because Teemu said so and Saku sounds like he doesn't really want it anyway.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Harding definitely deserves to get a spot on Canada. Is any Wild fans worried about him though if he becomes the starter and Canada rides him for the Olympics. Just concerned with his health. If we want any shot at the playoffs we need him healthy for the stretch run after the Olympics.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
No, it will be Mikko because Teemu said so and Saku sounds like he doesn't really want it anyway.

Doesn't matter what Teemu says, its Westerlund who has the final say, its up to him if he goes for the experience or "winning experience" that Mikko got from the ever famous 2011 gold. To me its potato-potato, can't really go wrong with either and both are locks for A either way.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Doesn't matter what Teemu says, its Westerlund who has the final say, its up to him if he goes for the experience or "winning experience" that Mikko got from the ever famous 2011 gold. To me its potato-potato, can't really go wrong with either and both are locks for A either way.

It does matter what he says. Westerlund said he would ask his opinion and I'm 100% sure it matters.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
It does matter what he says. Westerlund said he would ask his opinion and I'm 100% sure it matters.

100% sure it matters but how much it matters is another question. Selänne's opinion shouldn't weigh that much to Westerlund.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
100% sure it matters but how much it matters is another question. Selänne's opinion shouldn't weigh that much to Westerlund.
I think the right question here is if it will matter to Mikko, as Erkka implied that he will let the bros settle it amongst themselves and then defer to their decision.

So if Mikko is feeling queasy about having it despite Saku being of the mind, he should feel less so if Teemu tells him too that he should have it.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Harding definitely deserves to get a spot on Canada. Is any Wild fans worried about him though if he becomes the starter and Canada rides him for the Olympics. Just concerned with his health. If we want any shot at the playoffs we need him healthy for the stretch run after the Olympics.

I guess that's really a concern for any player playing in the olympics, but really for how awesome a person Harding truly is, the guy really deserves this opportunity not only for his character but his goaltending abilities. I'd hope they wouldn't ride him into the ground for a gold, but can you imagine how awesome that would be for Harding? He'd be the only reason I'd pull for Canada in any game besides a game against the USA and even then I'd hope we'd win 1-0 on a goal by Parise fed from Suter and Pominville :handclap: I'm really hoping for a USA-Canada rematch or even a USA-Finland gold medal game.

But back to captain talk, I truly feel like Suter or Parise could be granted the C with the other getting an A. In the end I feel like Suter should get it though because he's going to be the backbone of that team. As for Koivu, I really think it'll be a decision of whether Saku wants to pass the torch to his younger brother. Mikko captained them to a gold in 2011 and I'd think Finland would be wise to annoint him as 2014 Olympic captain.

As far as Pominville making the team, I think he absolutely should make it. Larger ice fits his style of play better than the others who could be selected and he's always been a solid solid two way forward and defensive play could absolutely decide this olympics on the big sheet.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Really? I just see Parise as being much more of a captain type than Suter. Suter sets an example with his play but he just doesn't seem vocal enough to be a captain. I have no idea how he is behind the scenes though.

I've been championing that this is Zach's team to wear the "C" for the last 2 years. But I can just see them giving it to a Dman.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Parise, Suter, Backes, Brown and Callahan were all part of the US Leadership Group.

The captain will definitely come from that group but I say it'll either be Parise or Backes. Brown could also get the nod but I'd be a little disappointed if that happens.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Parise, Suter, Backes, Brown and Callahan were all part of the US Leadership Group.

The captain will definitely come from that group but I say it'll either be Parise or Backes. Brown could also get the nod but I'd be a little disappointed if that happens.

Completely agree. And I'm not too bent out of shape about it if it were Backes since it stays in MN for another 4 years :D. But I've always felt Zach was the warrior of the team in 2010.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
But I've always felt Zach was the warrior of the team in 2010.

The 2010 Olympics are what sold me on wanting either Parise or Suter in Free Agency. I loved how Suter worked with Rafalski and Parise was an animal around the net.

Pominville is also a longshot for this team, IMO. I would think he would be an injury replacement though if there are any last second injuries. There's just too many guys who were on the 2010 team that will be getting spots again which will limit the new faces. Center/Winger versatility could be a factor for the last few spots too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad