Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread II ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Did people watch this team all year? The 1st, 2nd, 3rd line branding is essentially meaningless.

Rangers need to find a way to field 12 capable forwards without dismantling the defense. Thats the goal here.

True in a sense. But you still need 13 -14 NHL caliber players that can play all the 3 fwd positions properly

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He would play with Hagelin and MSL. He can score 30-40 points with them, I would hope.

Yeah, I think this is being overlooked. We have MSL for a full season, he's going to replace a lot of the 50 some odd points Richards had.

MSL will be our goto player for parts of next season, probably not from the start, but I don't see him being used with Miller all year.

I could definitely see Nash played with Hags-Miller and MSL with Kreids-Step. In fact, that is one move I think AV should have tried against LA. When we see that tried during the upcoming season, we could regret not testing that a bit...

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Did people watch this team all year? The 1st, 2nd, 3rd line branding is essentially meaningless.

Rangers need to find a way to field 12 capable forwards without dismantling the defense. Thats the goal here.

We also had 3 centers (while not great), that put up 50 points or close to it.. losing Richards was the right move, but you still have to find someone to replace those 50 points (maybe Brassard?), OR you have to find someone to replace the almost 50 that Brassard put up. Miller won't do that, at least this year. Now, IF Nash is healthy all year that could help, MSL with a full year could help, etc, but lots of maybes and for a team that just went to the SCF, fans are going to be wanting as good of a team if not better.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Need to have competition for the 3rd line center spot.
-31- suggestion of Goc would be great in that spot. If Miller is good enough to make the team as 3rd line center, great. All that means is that Goc moves down to the 4th line and then we have a situation with two centers on our 4th line like last year. Great problem to have.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
True in a sense. But you still need 13 -14 NHL caliber players that can play all the 3 fwd positions properly

Yeah, but it will be exciting to see Lindberg, Miller and Fasth come camp. We could have a holdout or even too. They will push for spots. Haggerty is an outsider. Kristo is a good player. People will see advantages with his righty shot. If Kreider holds out, could Kristo challenge Fast for the open spot?

Hopefully we can keep Carcillo too. A good summer and camp from him and he could contribute some.

jcnyranger

Jun 18, 2014
Do you mean Bolland instead of Bollard? I heard Bolland is looking for more than 3.75x3 apparently he wants 5x5. Which he's not worth.

If Bolland is actually looking at $5/per PASS. I figured coming off an injury and down year; he would not be in that range. Apparently Dan Boyle simply wants 2 years at 2-2.25 per year. Not the only guy out there obviously; but we need a point man for the PP and I don't think Stralman will solve that. IF you give Stralman 4/$4 per; where is the money coming from to deal with Staal; Stepan, Kreider when they get to UFA??? Stralman was great this year; but people better hope he continues to progress if you are willing to tie up that much money. Big difference committing $16mil for 4 years versus $4.5 for 2 years; while you give Allen, McIlrath and Skjei a chance to grow into the lineup. Just saying.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If Bolland is actually looking at $5/per PASS. I figured coming off an injury and down year; he would not be in that range. Apparently Dan Boyle simply wants 2 years at 2-2.25 per year. Not the only guy out there obviously; but we need a point man for the PP and I don't think Stralman will solve that. IF you give Stralman 4/$4 per; where is the money coming from to deal with Staal; Stepan, Kreider when they get to UFA??? Stralman was great this year; but people better hope he continues to progress if you are willing to tie up that much money. Big difference committing $16mil for 4 years versus $4.5 for 2 years; while you give Allen, McIlrath and Skjei a chance to grow into the lineup. Just saying.

Deal restrictions is key here. If Stralman is on a contract that can be moved, he would always have value. We could just trade him, retain assets and then resign Kreider.

Imagine if Boyle was signed to like 2.75m per, we could easily have traded him for a couple of picks.

asparkoflife

Nov 8, 2008
Patterson, NY
Boyle is one of the best PK'ers in the league, and is great in the playoffs. Saying he is easily replaceable is quite ignorant.

If that were the case, why is it the Rangers can never develop those types of bottom 6 players?

It's not ignorant. Everyone freaked when we let Prust go also, which was another guy who "was a great PKer, and locker room guy". Winnik would be a cheap option that does most all of the things that Boyle does and won't command nearly as much money.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's not ignorant. Everyone freaked when we let Prust go also, which was another guy who "was a great PKer, and locker room guy". Winnik would be a cheap option that does most all of the things that Boyle does and won't command nearly as much money.

The disparity between Prust and Boyle is absolutely massive.

How did our 4th line look in 2013? Haley-Newbury-Dorsett. Yeah, I don't want that again.

jcnyranger

Jun 18, 2014
So we're going to give D. Boyle 4 million +, that we could give to Stralman, to be garbage at even strength, not even play in the top 4, and be a marginal (if even that) upgrade over Richards on the PP.

Great idea.

Boyle 2-2.25 per for 2 years = $4.5 mil tops; Stralman at $4mil per for 4 years =$16 million. Better idea if you do the math right!

jcnyranger

Jun 18, 2014

Like this idea and agree on Prust/Boyle

asparkoflife

Nov 8, 2008
Patterson, NY
The disparity between Prust and Boyle is absolutely massive.

How did our 4th line look in 2013? Haley-Newbury-Dorsett. Yeah, I don't want that again.

Who said anything about a 4th line like that? I think we should bring back Dom Moore and Dorsett. and add Winnik;

Winnik - Moore - Dorsett. Does that look much worse than Boyle - Moore - Dorsett?

AHB*

You do realize that Boyle and Prust should not be considered relative at all, right?

asparkoflife

Nov 8, 2008
Patterson, NY
You do realize that Boyle and Prust should not be considered relative at all, right?

I Think it's relative in situation(contract ending, 4th line popular players, going to command more than they are worth). Are they the same type of player all around? No. But the situations are similar, yes.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Being a PPG player in the AHL at 20 doesn't mean you're ready to put up points at this level. Anisimov did the same thing and he put up 28 points the next year with high end defense. Is that enough from a 3c playing with MSL on a team with cup aspirations?

asparkoflife

Nov 8, 2008
Patterson, NY
Being a PPG player in the AHL at 20 doesn't mean you're ready to put up points at this level. Anisimov did the same thing and he put up 28 points the next year with high end defense.

I agree with this, but in the same token, Anisimov wouldn't be between Hagelin and MSL potentially.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yeah Arty played with crap on a mediocre team all season. I remember him playing with Lisin, Kotalik, Prust, Shelley.

Miller isn't Arty, either. He's not making the team completely green.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Being a PPG player in the AHL at 20 doesn't mean you're ready to put up points at this level. Anisimov did the same thing and he put up 28 points the next year with high end defense. Is that enough from a 3c playing with MSL on a team with cup aspirations?

I'm more worried about 45 points being enough for the 2C for a team playing with SC aspirations..

SupersonicMonkey*

Exactly my concern. It's not enough if we want to get back to the Final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad