Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread II ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I don't understand why a 45 point 2C is terrible. The Top 30 Centers in the NHL last year scored 54 points. Derick Brassard was 48th among centers in points with 45. That puts him squarely in the middle of the 2C pack.

Furthermore, only 14 teams in the NHL had 2 centers that were ranked ahead of Brass. That's according to the NHL.com at least. Some of those "centers" probably played wing, like O'Reilly (who's on there).

Those teams are:
PIT 2 (Crosby, Malkin)
ANA 2 (Getlzaf, Bonino)
SJ 3 (Thornton, Pavelski , Couture)
LA 2 (Kopitar, Carter)
COL 4 (Duchene, O'Reilly, MacKinnon, Stastny)
BOS 3 (Krejci, Bergeron, Soderberg)
NYI 2 (Tavares, Nielsen)
OTT 2 (Spezza, Turris)
CBJ 2 (Johansen, Dubinsky)
NSH 2 (Smith, Fisher)
TB 2 (Filppula, Johnson)
TOR 2 (Kadri, Bozak)
CGY 2 (Hudler, Cammalleri)
PHX 2 (Ribeiro, Vermette)

NYR 2 (Stepan, Brassard)

Of those 14 teams, 6 missed the playoffs (NYI, OTT, NSH, TOR, CGY, PHX). Of the remaining 8 playoff teams - 1 won the Stanley Cup (LA), 2 made the Conference Finals (NYR-LA), 5 made the second round (BOS-NYR-PIT-ANA-LA), and 4 were bounced in the first round (COL, CBJ, TB, SJ).

The rest of the playoff teams had only 1 center who scored more points than Derick Brassard.

CHI - Toews (Conference Finals)
DAL - Seguin (Round 1)
MON - Desharnais (Conference Finals)
MIN - Koivu (Round 2)
STL - Backes (Round 1)
PHI - Giroux (Round 1)
DET - Legwand (not even half a year?)

We need to stop acting like this is a huge deal if Brassard only scores 45 points. It seems that 45 points would be enough for a 2C.

And the whole "we need to replace his 51 points" - as others alluded to, Kreider's production is likely to increase, whoever we get to play 3C will score some, MSL's will be there for a full season, and even if he doesn't light the world on fire, whatever he puts up that outproduces Callahan of last year would go to the 51 needed to replace Richards. Increases maybe for Zucc and Stepan.

I'm not that concerned about Brass as a 2C. I think he's really underrated and can still blossom. Go ahead...call me crazy.

Last edited:

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
He definitely was better last year.

54% FO, great puck possession guy. An AV player.

Grabovski had 35 points in 58 games. That breaks down to 49 over 82. Brass had 45 in 81 games. There isn't much of a difference. What the hell makes you think Grabovski is so much better than Brassard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad