GDT: 2014 NHL Free Agent Frenzy | July 1st, 2014 | 12:00 PM EST (18:00 CET)

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
You know, there was a thread a while back about who our biggest rival is right now. I can tell you this: the team I want to see lose the most is the Rangers. I think that's probably true for most of us.

Still Boston, Philly, and Montreal for me. Rangers are getting up there though.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You know, there was a thread a while back about who our biggest rival is right now. I can tell you this: the team I want to see lose the most is the Rangers. I think that's probably true for most of us.

Well the MSL and cally trade certainly created some rivalry, but now Tampa landing two more Rangers that they wanted to keep and Callahan being a big influence on those deals is really going to create more rivalry. Tampa and The Ranger games are going to be more exciting than some of the division games.

I'll give you another example, Columbus and the Rangers have some serious emotions in that one and also you get to see Rick Nash actually be passionate and try to win for once. Lol

As per the Rangers losing don't care as much just want to see Tampa win and these former Rangers be successful. All 3 of them deserve even better success.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Remrmber the more the Rangers lose the higher our draft pick is next year.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm probably going to follow the Rangers this year in hopes of seeing bad news for them. I don't want them to make the playoffs.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
I really like the Rangers outside of MSL, especially Lundqvist, but it'd be certainly nice to get a top pick in next years draft. Just tons of great options there. I'm particularly high on Oliver Kylington, such a great two-way defenseman with magnificent puck-handling ability. But realistically, the Rangers are a good team next year. They lost Strålman, Pouliot and Boyle but got D. Boyle which will help their PP and I expect guys like Kreider and Stepan to improve still and J.T. Miller could be ready to step in, too.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, that's the thing. I'm probably going to follow the Rangers this year in hopes of seeing bad news for them. I don't want them to make the playoffs.

Rangers are kind of a mess now. They have lost 5 guys already who were all big keys to the Rangers run.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Rangers are kind of a mess now. They have lost 5 guys already who were all big keys to the Rangers run.

All right, now that you mentioned that they lost 5 guys I realized that they actually Richards as well but who's the fifth one? Only one that comes to my mind is Dorsett and I don't really see him as a big key to their run.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All right, now that you mentioned that they lost 5 guys I realized that they actually Richards as well but who's the fifth one? Only one that comes to my mind is Dorsett and I don't really see him as a big key to their run.

Rangers got tanner glass to replace Derrick Dorsett and Brian Boyle. Need i say more?

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Rangers got tanner glass to replace Derrick Dorsett and Brian Boyle. Need i say more?

Well yeah, Glass is one of the worst players in the NHL. :laugh: They do have questions in their bottom-6 and need a #2C, though Brassard maybe could fill that position and be a solid second liner.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Well yeah, Glass is one of the worst players in the NHL. :laugh: They do have questions in their bottom-6 and need a #2C, though Brassard maybe could fill that position and be a solid second liner.

I think Brassard is an average 2nd liner and Stepan is a sub-par 1st liner. Practically no center depth and not very elite talent on the wings. They'll depend on Lundqvist, just like they have every year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Steve Downie signs in Pittsburgh (for 1 year at $1 million), Olli Jokinen in Nashville (for 1 year at $2.5 million).

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Rangers have yet to sign Mats Zuccarello, I believe. Saw some Ranger fans saying that Sather doesn't want to pay him what he believes he deserves (or implying that he doesn't).

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers have yet to sign Mats Zuccarello, I believe. Saw some Ranger fans saying that Sather doesn't want to pay him what he believes he deserves (or implying that he doesn't).

Zucc had one great year, before that he was nothing special. I don't think Sather wants to pay a guy a long contract for that kind of money based on one year. I feel a GM should look at the last 2 or 3 seasons, and the current one.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Nice job by Islanders signing Grabovski to 5M/4y deal and Kulemin to 4.19M/4y. I really like Kulemin a lot, just a hard working guy who brings a ton to the table. Physical, fast, good PKer, good defensively etc. People will tell that his 30 goal season was fluke, which it was perhaps partly, but I think if you put him in right position to succeed, he could put up 20-25 goals. IIRC Leafs has played him in very defensive role so now if you give him some more PP time, not so defensively heavy minutes, he could re-find his offense.

Can't believe that Scott still got a NHL contract. :shakehead

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Let's go Rangers...let's go Sather:shakehead;)

I was pulling for the Rangers in the final. Sad, but have had their run and now they will struggle to make it back. No doubt they are a weaker team today due to the business side of the sport

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad