GDT: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Another Soo player, not like we didn't have a chance to scout him plenty. I don't know much about him but our scouts must have liked something.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Well if were not taking Bryan Moore, no one is.

Yeah, he's certainly a guy we're going to look at. Surprising with all these goalies being taken nobody has taken a swipe at Cary native Logan Halladay either. He's fairly well regarded.

Kyle Jenkins is a pretty meh pick. Jack of all trades type. Decent puckhandler. Played with Tolchinsky in SSM. Ronnie's junior club.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Didn't know a Cary kid was entering the draft this year, that's cool.

That reminds me, anyone know what's going on with the Raleigh kid, Charlie I think was his name, who signed to play with the U of North Dakota? Haven't heard anything about him in years and I'm guessing he's well past 18 now.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
BrO6pgLCcAAwx78.png:large

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Didn't know a Cary kid was entering the draft this year, that's cool.

That reminds me, anyone know what's going on with the Raleigh kid, Charlie I think was his name, who signed to play with the U of North Dakota? Haven't heard anything about him in years and I'm guessing he's well past 18 now.

Charlie Pelnik is also listed as a Cary native. He's a big kid at 6-5 and he's playing in the BCHL. He was taken 10th overall in the USHL draft by the Fargo Force and played there last season. Not sure why he didn't stay there. He'll be playing for North Dakota in the 15-16 season, but not sure where he's playing next year. Also drafted by Plymouth in the 7th round. He's 19 now as a 1995 birthdate.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Charlie Pelnik is also listed as a Cary native. He's a big kid at 6-5 and he's playing in the BCHL. He was taken 10th overall in the USHL draft by the Fargo Force and played there last season. Not sure why he didn't stay there. He'll be playing for North Dakota in the 15-16 season, but not sure where he's playing next year. Also drafted by Plymouth in the 7th round. He's 19 now as a 1995 birthdate.

Interesting. When I read an article on him way back when he sounded like a 4th or 5th round type.

Anways though, it's cool to see local kids getting potential shots at playing in the NHL.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I like a lot of what we did at this draft. Love the Foegele pick. I think that kid's got so much potential. Love he Wallmark pick as I'd read some things about him and Lindholm together. That Swedish connection could be around for a very long time.

I'm probably one of the few that absolutely thought it was necessary to get one of the higher end goalies in this draft (of all of the positions, this might have been one of the better years for backstops). Nedeljkovic was my favorite goalie in this year's draft. Kid's apparently incredibly athletic. I certainly felt he was comparable to Demko. Based on the run on goalies, I think this pick will turn out to be well received long term.

My only complaint isn't that we selected Josh Wesley, it's that we selected him with Alexis Vanier still on the board. I believe he might be considered one of the steals of the draft. Kid's something like 6'5" 215 lbs. and has a cannon of a shot. Dare I say shades of Anton?

I am probably also in the minority in thinking that Wesley is a solid pick, just a round too early. My guess is that the nepotism thing is going to drive him pretty hard to get even better. I'd keep an eye on him next year.

I like what I read about Bishop and don't know a thing about Jenkins.

My only real concern is that while we did get a bit of size, I hope we're looking for some UFAs for our 3rd and 4th line. I know nobody wants to hear this, but I see a Drayson Bowman return (I've got a soft spot for DrayBo and think he got jerked around royally by Muller). I guess I had hoped we'd make a move or two at the draft to get that big body and/or 3C. It is still early....time to dream and wonder.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Drafting NCAA bound kids is the new European. Some of these kids are two full seasons of Junior/USHL/BCHL/HS hockey away from playing for their commitments. It gives the drafting team PLENTY of time to evaluate and let the player develop. Keeping their rights for an indeterminable amount of time into the future. Basically forever. That's why we're seeing a seachange away from the throwaway late round picks on Europeans because the time it takes for the rights to expire is by no means a long enough time to evaluate the player's future impact when you can't scout him as intimately as you can with players in North America. It's an interesting difference. Also why we're seeing more players drafted at 19 and 20 than we ever have. Especially the European players. If you're on the fence in his 18 year old season and want to see how it plays out, chances are you can get a shot at him next year.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
mikemaniscalco
MacDonald said that the team needed to add size and it was a factor in making selections this weekend. #Canes

Can't disagree with most of the picks, but ugh. I hate this mentality.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Real_ESPNLeBrun
Sens GM Bryan Murray says he had a deal that made sense potentially with Nashville for Spezza but Spezza wouldn't waive to go there

Probably a lot to that Eric Staal stuff, then.

Sutts19
@ice_chip was praying we would grab him

On Lukas Sutter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad