Speculation: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
ESPN put out an article on him. It's a VERY good read, actually.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11132294/nhl-josh-ho-sang-ultra-skilled-well-rounded-frustrating

"Take Ho-Sang's philosophy on the coach-player relationship, for instance.

"I think it should be a level playing field. Where it's like, I can talk to you. I can tell you I think you're an idiot and that I think we should be running a different power play, we should be running a different penalty kill," Ho-Sang told ESPN The Magazine. "And you can tell me as a player, 'You're an idiot. You can shut up. I'm the coach.' I want a relationship like that.

..."There is no player like him. No player. Sometimes guys ask, 'Who do you play like?' There's no answer. Either he's that unique or he has to change a bit," said Spitfires part-owner Warren Rychel. "It's a combination of both."

He's the most skilled player in North America. He's the most skilled player to ever come through Windsor," Rychel said, with one caveat. "Skilled player, but not the most complete player."
Based on those comments, I don't think the Wild even consider him. This is a team that wants to buy-in to a philosophy, and this guy sounds like someone who wants to tailor his own philosophy.

I don't think he would fit with the character team Fletcher has put together...

I'd not be upset if he was picked or anything, but I'd look at guys like Milano and Pastrnak ahead of him. JMO

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
One of the biggest concerns I had for Ho-Sang was his maturity level, but that article actually paints him as a fairly matured 18 year old. Not to say that he still doesn't have some growing up to do, but I'm not as against picking him as I was a few days ago. I think it would be hilarious to see him question Mikko in training camp. :laugh:

I think when we pick at 18, I'm still hoping for a guy like Milano, Larkin, Tuch, but if Ho-Sang falls to to our next pick, I'd be totally fine with calling his name.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
One of the biggest concerns I had for Ho-Sang was his maturity level, but that article actually paints him as a fairly matured 18 year old. Not to say that he still doesn't have some growing up to do, but I'm not as against picking him as I was a few days ago. I think it would be hilarious to see him question Mikko in training camp. :laugh:

I think Ho-Sang wouldn't find it hilarious for very long. I don't want him, he comes across as a ****** and it seems that many scouts think he should be avoided if possible. They evaluate talent for a living and if it's a common opinion, I would be inclined to listen to them and not think outside the box and get too cute.

We have such a late pick that it's impossible to point out the best target, so I won't even suggest who we should get until we see who's available at that point.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
To me he sounds pretty awesome, hopefully GMCF hasn't crossed him off the list for good. A lot might depend how the combine interview went with with him.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
He might seem like an immature little ******, but he's only 18 years old. I'm sure after some time he will realize he has to change his attitude if he wants to make it in this league.

His skill level is unquestionable and he knows how to score goals. We need a pure goal scorer on this team. We haven't had one since Gabby.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Don't see Ho Sang on this roster. He doesn't fit with the guys he's been drafting. But man is he talented.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think Ho-Sang would grow up fast with the Wild locker room teaching him how to be more respectable. We've got plenty of good role models that could take him under their wing.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I'm on the fence about Ho-Sang at #18. Immense talent to go along with his immense ego. I don't mind a little swagger if the player can back up his mouth on the ice. But with the way this kid is running his mouth, he pretty will have to be Patrick Kane to justify his self worth. His selfish play should fix itself if he really wants to be an NHLer. You're not going to last with a one man army mentality. I'm more wondering what else is going on when it seems so many pro scouts are red flagging him. Rather have Tuch or Milano, but if they are off the board. I wouldn't hate Fletcher for taking a bit of a gamble on Ho-Sang. He could be just what this team needs longterm, even if he isn't the most likable kid.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I'm on the fence about Ho-Sang at #18. Immense talent to go along with his immense ego. I don't mind a little swagger if the player can back up his mouth on the ice. But with the way this kid is running his mouth, he pretty will have to be Patrick Kane to justify his self worth. His selfish play should fix itself if he really wants to be an NHLer. You're not going to last with a one man army mentality. I'm more wondering what else is going on when it seems so many pro scouts are red flagging him. Rather have Tuch or Milano, but if they are off the board. I wouldn't hate Fletcher for taking a bit of a gamble on Ho-Sang. He could be just what this team needs longterm, even if he isn't the most likable kid.

I wouldn't touch him at 18 but I am in the minority on this board. While I am not a fan of the personality/comments, I have more issues with his on-ice play. I like Fabbri and Milano's offensive upside as much as Ho-Sang, and like what I hear about the other parts of their game a lot. Guys like Pastrnak, Scherbak, and Vrana have also been said to have some top offensive potential but don't have as many negatives. Then you have guys like Tuch, Barbashev, and Bleackley that have size, skating, and decent offense with great character. So, there are quite a few guys I would choose over Ho-Sang because I don't believe there is this large gap of potential between Ho-Sang and guys mentioned above, while I do believe there is a large risk of bust/character issues with Ho-Sang and not as much with the others mentioned. In short, I'd rather take a guy who has 4/5 potential and 2/5 risk than 5/5 potential and 5/5 risk.

With that said, I trust BF so if they pick him, then that is great. I also would have no issues with us taking him if we traded back to high 20s and got another second.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Some Finnish sources claim that Joni Tuulola is one of the most underrated draftees in the draft. Biased, yes, but there are some well respected hockey people who say that as well. 3rd to 4th rounder as of now.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I wouldn't mind Ho-Sang but we probably still have the choice guys like Sonny Milano and Dylan Larkin. I would much prefer take them over Ho-Sang.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Bob McKenzie's take on Dylan Larkin (who he has listed as the 12th best prospect):

Has ability to play the game at a very high pace, temp and intensity. Combine that with very good hockey sense and his impact becomes significant. Wants to make a difference in game and finds ways. Ultra competitive.

Sounds an awful lot like a Fletcher/Flahr guy, and he's not a projected mid-1st round pick based on compete level alone.

It's still basically a three-way tie between Larkin/Tuch/Milano for me. Each one brings something a little different from the others but any of the three would make our prospect pool stronger. I'd be happy with any of the three and slightly less happy but not disappointed with Fiala or Barbashev. Fabbri would also be great but I still think he's off the board by the Dallas pick.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
I think Ho-Sang would grow up fast with the Wild locker room teaching him how to be more respectable. We've got plenty of good role models that could take him under their wing.

Agreed. How many players on the roster were former captains?

I thought I knew everything when I was 18 too, but once you get into the real world you learn to keep your mouth shut and your eyes open.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Bob McKenzie's take on Dylan Larkin (who he has listed as the 12th best prospect):

Sounds an awful lot like a Fletcher/Flahr guy, and he's not a projected mid-1st round pick based on compete level alone.

It's still basically a three-way tie between Larkin/Tuch/Milano for me. Each one brings something a little different from the others but any of the three would make our prospect pool stronger. I'd be happy with any of the three and slightly less happy but not disappointed with Fiala or Barbashev. Fabbri would also be great but I still think he's off the board by the Dallas pick.

bald+eagle+crying.jpg

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

Yeah, I'll admit I'm a bit biased toward young, promising American players. Often times, I feel like a lot of them are underexposed compared to their CHL counterparts and the mid 1st rounders (like where we're picking :naughty:) have better chances of being steals. Not like I have any scouting experience, but it's just a small trend I've noticed.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I don't care if they're 'murican or from god damn Omicron Persei VIII. All I care about is can they play good hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad