GDT: 2014 NHL Entry Draft II: You're Either Pro-Sang or You're No-Sang (We're No-Sang)

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Well consider that the only non-pro D prospects were all in Europe with the only/last junior being Vance. Dallas sort of needed to stock up on D for the future. Nearly every one of these guys we won't see in like 2-3 years even on the AHL level.

Add to that, that defensemen take a bit longer to develop over forwards I would be surprised if next year was another forward shotgun draft.

Or they go all goalies which would be HILARIOUS.

Also, like it's been said before, they probably had a lot of guys ranked the same and defaulted to defense in those cases.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Honka - 18 years, 6 months
Pollock - 18 years, 3 months
Peters - 17 years, 11 months
Prapavessis - 18 years, 5 months
Moran - 17 years, 11 months
Karjalainen - 18 years, 1 month
Haydon - 18 years, 5 months
Nyberg - 17 years, 11 months
Sanvido - 18 years old today

Feels like we picked a load more of 17 year olds than usual.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's so strange, being older than some of those guys.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
It's so strange, being older than some of those guys.

Wait til you hit that age when you're *****ing about 32-33 year old players being too old for the team and time to move on from them.

Then realizing your as old or older than the "old guys" of the team.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
If you go off of The Hockey News' draft preview, we did quite well. 16, 33, 58, 66, and 68.

How Haydon fell so low is beyond me.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Comin for ya Canada...

BrPMqDxCAAIYSqr.png:large

Really weird to see more Latvian players drafted than Slovakian. Their development system seems to have fallen completely by the wayside.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's possible, but not as likely. We'll see next year if he does the same kind of thing

So if there isn't an even split then that suggests intent to draft for position?

We already know he said that if they were drafting and they had two guys rated equally they were going D. A slight bias is fine and shows a good understanding of your prospect pool.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Came across an article about the Flyers having Ho-Sang on their no draft list and there was this little blurb:

Word is that Ho-Sang really hurt him during interviews with teams. He apparently ticked off the Dallas Stars management by telling execs that they’d live regret passing on him in the draft.

Not earth shattering, just passing it along.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Media speak "regret if they skip him" probably translate to him telling Dallas they'd be f-ing idiots if they didn't draft him and that he'd make them pay every time they play.

Hell that could have been the first thing out of his mouth as soon as he sat down.

Nothing as simple as "you'll regret it" would tick off hockey management I would think.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Media speak "regret if they skip him" probably translate to him telling Dallas they'd be f-ing idiots if they didn't draft him and that he'd make them pay every time they play.

Hell that could have been the first thing out of his mouth as soon as he sat down.

Nothing as simple as "you'll regret it" would tick off hockey management I would think.

If that is actually the case you'd think there are some simple ways of phrasing that better in the article in such a way that it's clear he didn't exactly say "you'll regret passing on me".

I'm not saying you're wrong. It's just weird that if that's the case the writer didn't do a better job of implying some sort of hostile or mocking tone.

Brand New Stars

New generations are garbage. I'm ashamed of my own in fact. Hope that kid is a huge bust.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
All the quotes I've read make me think he's a total idiot, but I've seen him described as highly intelligent more than once. I'll lean towards idiot until proven otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad