GDT: 2014 NHL Entry Draft II: You're Either Pro-Sang or You're No-Sang (We're No-Sang)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Thread I

2014draft.png

The 52nd annual National Hockey League Entry Draft will be on Friday, June 27 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at 6 PM Central and on Saturday, June 28th at 9 AM Central.

Round 1 will be broadcast on NBCSN, TSN and RDS. Rounds 2 through 7 will be presented on NHL Network.​

2014 DALLAS STARS DRAFT PICKS
1ST ROUND
14th Selection - Julius Honka

2ND ROUND
45th Selection - Brett Pollock

3RD ROUND
75th Selection - Alex Peters

4TH ROUND
105th Selection - Michael Prapavessis
115th Selection - Brent Moran

5TH ROUND
135th Selection - Miro Karjalainen

6TH ROUND
154th Selection - Aaron Haydon
165th Selection - John Nyberg

7TH ROUND
195th Selection - Patrick Sanvido

Last edited by a moderator:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I feel like there'll be a Fleury of trades on Friday.

Also, team pro-sang coming in hot

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Thats cute, meh I'm willing to give ho sang a chance. Bottom line, I trust the current group way better then my own judgment. But thats because we drafted the guy I wanted us to take every year but Campbell. So yep I wanted us to take Glennie, Oleksiak, Faksa, and Nuke too This year, I have no clue, I like the younger Ritchie, I just dont think he will be there at 14. I'm not sold on a lot of the guys that are expected to be there though. Seems like there is a lot of potential busts in this years draft, top 6 or nothing types. I had no idea who I wanted us to take with Bostons pick either though and Dickinson looks like a great pick, so here is hoping we have similar success this year.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Here's an excerpt from this article on Florida's #1 pick and their depth at D. Could all be blowing smoke but maybe at least it will keep us entertained until tomorrow. Maybe there's hope that we could pluck a Dman from Florida. Gudbranson, Bouwmeester, potentially Ekblad...are any of them available for a reasonable asking price? Are any of them the answer? I like all of them. All have size. Gudbranson and Ekblad are both righties with size.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/25/4201255/florida-panthers-appear-in-rare.html

Tallon also conceded, “Maybe it’s time to package some of our youth in a deal.”

I asked what he meant. Here’s what he meant:

If the Panthers were to make defenseman Aaron Ekblad the No. 1 pick on Friday, as most mock drafts suggest, he would be the team’s 12th defender who is 6-3 or taller.

“You can only dress six,” Tallon said. “Might be able to package one or two defensemen for a young forward, somebody who’ll be with us seven to 10 years. Maybe we can package assets to get that goal-scorer. We’ve been building the foundation. Now we’re deep enough.”

Now the Panthers need to start winning. Finally, and consistently.

They need to stop the new-coach introductions from being what seem like an annual occurrence.

They need to stop being the stars of draft day for the high picks that come with big losing.

“We need to start going forward,” Tallon said.

It’s been so true for so many years.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/25/4201255/florida-panthers-appear-in-rare.html#storylink=cpy

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Here's an excerpt from this article on Florida's #1 pick and their depth at D. Could all be blowing smoke but maybe at least it will keep us entertained until tomorrow. Maybe there's hope that we could pluck a Dman from Florida. Gudbranson, Bouwmeester, potentially Ekblad...are any of them available for a reasonable asking price? Are any of them the answer? I like all of them. All have size. Gudbranson and Ekblad are both righties with size.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/25/4201255/florida-panthers-appear-in-rare.html

Tallon also conceded, “Maybe it’s time to package some of our youth in a deal.â€

I asked what he meant. Here’s what he meant:

If the Panthers were to make defenseman Aaron Ekblad the No. 1 pick on Friday, as most mock drafts suggest, he would be the team’s 12th defender who is 6-3 or taller.

“You can only dress six,†Tallon said. “Might be able to package one or two defensemen for a young forward, somebody who’ll be with us seven to 10 years. Maybe we can package assets to get that goal-scorer. We’ve been building the foundation. Now we’re deep enough.â€

Now the Panthers need to start winning. Finally, and consistently.

They need to stop the new-coach introductions from being what seem like an annual occurrence.

They need to stop being the stars of draft day for the high picks that come with big losing.

“We need to start going forward,†Tallon said.

It’s been so true for so many years.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/25/4201255/florida-panthers-appear-in-rare.html#storylink=cpy

Bouwmeester?

Ekblad is a pipe dream for us, a lovely one, but a pipe dream nonetheless. I don't see Gudbranson as a big time difference maker that we need as he's more of a good skating defensive defenseman than an all around two-way stud.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Ho-Sang at 14 might be a stretch but I'm still probably Pro-Sang early 2nd. But not at 45. I want Glooooover.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
@14NoSang

@22ProSang

This is what I typed in the last thread just before it got locked. In this type of scenario are we happy?

Let's say Dallas trades back twice and goes Goldobin, Ho-Sang, DeAngelo, and Vanier. I'm not going to be upset if Dallas takes both problem kids.

At 14 I'd have issues with either one. At say 25 or beyond there's great value in those first 3 names.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
If Fabbri and Fiala are both off the board at 14 I'd absolutely be willing to move back to either 21 or move twice to get to 25 or so and take a guy like Goldobin. That's not my first choice but there's a legit chance the two kids I really want may be gone so...

Okay yeah that was kinda confusing.

The first part of my post is value. 22 or beyond Ho-Sang is a good value pick.

My selections @25, @33, @45 @55 (I think that's the number) in our trade back twice scenario.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
So Heika's best guess for our 1st round pick was Julius Honka.. he's been pretty consistent all along in speculating that when the talent is close, Jim Nill would prefer to take a defenceman.

Honka is not projected to be in demand as high as 14 however, which brings us to the other thing that Heika has been predicting - that Dallas will try to move down 6 to 8 spots and take the guy they want later on. Honka is generally predicted to be drafted in that 25-30 range, so it would make sense to move back to grab him.

Could be a preview of tomorrow night :) If they do end up having to pick at 14, I kind of hope they go with one of those high talent forwards though.. Honka would be a bit of a reach that high in the order.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
If Fabbri is still there at 14 we should just take him. Otherwise I'm on board for trading down.

I think Fabbri or Fiala are best case scenario pick at 14.. If we could end up with one of those two guys, I'd consider this draft a win on the first night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad