GDT: 2014 NHL Entry Draft II: You're Either Pro-Sang or You're No-Sang (We're No-Sang)

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I posted this highlight of Pollock a while back when I mentioned him being a potential good pick in the second round. Satan, I know you were wanting a "flashy forward". Here is the highlight reel again for ya if you missed it the first time around. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwzDsQ2xAm4

I wouldn't be suprised if this is our best pick from this year's draft either. I just think we had a GREAT draft all-around. Couldn't be much happier with Nill's first draft.

He looked really good in those, not the speediest guy, but quick enough to beat a defender and has a heck of a wrist shot. Honestly reminds a lot of Brett Ritchie in a way

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
He looked really good in those, not the speediest guy, but quick enough to beat a defender and has a heck of a wrist shot. Honestly reminds a lot of Brett Ritchie in a way

Definitely similar to Ritchie. His puckhandling looks better than Ritchie's...or at least he's got some flashier moves.

Pollock - Dickinson - Ritchie

or

Pollock - Dickinson - Nichushkin

:)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I wouldn't be suprised if this is our best pick from this year's draft either. I just think we had a GREAT draft all-around. Couldn't be much happier with Nill's first draft.

Nill's 2nd draft. There's little doubt in my mind he ran the table last year. He prepared all year long scouting for Detroit. It wasn't until this year he took a step back scouting to focus on other responsibilities.

Last year's draft is already proving to be a damn good one. I'm pretty confident that he got some talent with McDonnell the last two days. This one doesn't stand as big a chance to be flashy taking 4 stay at home defenders in Peters, Karjalainen, Haydon, and the 7th rounder. The only really flash potential is from Honka, Pollock, and Nyberg.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nill's 2nd draft. There's little doubt in my mind he ran the table last year. He prepared all year long scouting for Detroit. It wasn't until this year he took a step back scouting to focus on other responsibilities.

Last year's draft is already proving to be a damn good one. I'm pretty confident that he got some talent with McDonnell the last two days. This one doesn't stand as big a chance to be flashy taking 4 stay at home defenders in Peters, Karjalainen, Haydon, and the 7th rounder. The only really flash potential is from Honka, Pollock, and Nyberg.

You probably just forgot him, but Prapavessis definitely deserves to be mentioned here. All of the assets he possesses are ones you can't teach. Really intrigued by this kid.

I am much more excited about the picks in rounds 2-7 this year than I was a day after the 2013 draft. Hopefully these guys can improve like the 2013 class did though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah just left him off. 9 buggers this year to keep up with and I can't ever remember the 7th rounders name.

I made a point to learn Prapavessis though because he is so intriguing. He's on the 6 year plan it seems. Even McDonnell mentioned 4 years of college.

That's what is nice about this draft. They may have taken 7 D, but 3 are probably not even coming to the AHL for 4 years in Prapavessis, Harjalainen, and Nyberg ... If ever just to be fair and honest.

Other than Honka who could theoretically be in the AHL by 2015-16, Peters and Haydon seem like 2 years best case scenario, and you're probably talking an overage year for the 7th rounder .... Sanvanido or whatever.

I don't know if they planned it this way, but they did a reasonable job of staggering guys.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
That Pollock highlight real makes me happy. He plays the game like I did #humblebrag. Has quickness, but not speed and good hands. Makes the right pass when he draws the defense out of position, otherwise makes them pay with an accurate shot. Might be my new favorite prospect even if I don't think he has the most potential.

Also it's super awesome that I can now say stuff like "That god damned Pollock" and not have to explain to people that I'm half Polish.

Last edited:

brightSTARS

Jun 4, 2014
You probably just forgot him, but Prapavessis definitely deserves to be mentioned here. All of the assets he possesses are ones you can't teach. Really intrigued by this kid.

I believe he was the one that some scout said had the ability to skate around defenders ala Subban which got me really excited.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
I believe he was the one that some scout said had the ability to skate around defenders ala Subban which got me really excited.

Where scouting reports and video meet. After watching a Prapavessis highlight video, I wouldn't make such a claim about his skating. He seemed to have an awkward stride. Besides, his cerebral game doesn't correlate with skating around guys a la PK.

What's most interesting about him is that he plays the patient slow-the-game-down style as a dman (less margin for error). As I was reading about him, I thought he was a forward... the next Ribeiro/Molin in the system, if you will. I personally like that style of individual game, so I'll be keeping tabs on him for sure.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Was looking through the draft when I saw the name Michael Prapavessis. Unreal, I was good friends with his brother Matt from when I was like 5 to 17. I didn’t even know his brother played hockey :laugh: They’re a very quality family, and Matt was always a well-liked guy by everybody… I believe he’s (or at least was) playing for Bemidji.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad