Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft (for non-6th overall pick discussion) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Tallon said the latest he'd trade back in the draft is ~7-10th overall, and they'd want a young roster player who can help them now as well. So I'd say Tanev + 6th overall to get the 1st.

I would argue it would be better to trade Kesler for the 10th + x and then offer part of that x + #6 for the first.

Then again, i am only saying i would prefer that over #6 + Tanev. With all the different rankings around there, i probably take my chance at 6 hoping someone i like falls to me and keep Tanev.

Whitebear

Nov 19, 2008
Fishin the Skeena
If Kelser gets traded for the 10th overall +

then I would do the following for the 1st overall

Tanev + 10th
or
Corrodo + 6th
or
Edler/Garrison + 10th
or
Edler/Garrison + 6th for 1st + 2nd rounder

I would be happy with any of the above.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
If Kelser gets traded for the 10th overall +

then I would do the following for the 1st overall

Tanev + 10th
or
Corrodo + 6th
or
Edler/Garrison + 10th
or
Edler/Garrison + 6th for 1st + 2nd rounder

I would be happy with any of the above.

I would prefer these to Tanev + 6th, but I would still be okay if it went that direction. I'm not sure who to pick between Reinhart and Bennet. I'm really torn between them.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Why are you so set on Nylander? I really hope Linden avoids him and I'm optimistic by the fact that Linden did not name Nylander as one of the players they're looking at. I want to avoid him.

I dont know why you're attacking him for liking Nylander's game, especially since you of all people have an unexplainable hate for the kid.

If you could even just give one small reason that actually has logic behind it for not liking him, Im all ears. But so far, it seems your reasoning is something along the lines of, "I just dont like him." or "I've got a bad feeling about him."

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I see feel like nylander's skill set seems similar to his dad who was once known as "the Swedish Wayne Gretzky"
Assuming that his dad won't be too much of a meddler like hodgson's dad was, it wouldn't be bad to draft him. However, I was hoping for someone that had more size and who possessed a more well rounded 2-way game or as linden put it... the right way to play hockey.
Anyways, I don't feel that linden or Benning are leaning towards nylander so it's probably a moot point

My preference would be
Ritchie
Nylander
Ehlers
Virtanen
In that order

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I would be over the moon if MDC dropped to 6th.

I would be happy too though not as much as some here. IMO MDC dropping is a very real possibility. While tremendously skilled he is not without criticisms which I think tend to get ignored on this board merely because he is "in the top 5" and therefore seems so much better than our other choices.

He's a good but not great skater. Certainly below Virtanen, Nylander, and Ehlers.

He's got a pro frame (6'2) but doesn't play a very physical or aggressive game.

Put up a huge number of his points on a stacked Generals power play. His ES production is about the same as Ritchie and Virtanen.

If Calgary or NYI consider any of these things to be important, they could easily be swayed by any of Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie, or Virtanen. In fact I wouldn't be that surprised to see it happen.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I dont know why you're attacking him for liking Nylander's game, especially since you of all people have an unexplainable hate for the kid.

If you could even just give one small reason that actually has logic behind it for not liking him, Im all ears. But so far, it seems your reasoning is something along the lines of, "I just dont like him." or "I've got a bad feeling about him."

Maybe go back and read my reasonings for not liking him then. Not going to bother rehashing it over and over again when clearly it's being ignored.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

Just talked with Abbostford native Jake Virtanen who could be potentially drafted by the #Canucks in round 1 of the NHL draft.
Virtanen says it was amazing when Trevor Linden mentioned his name at a season ticket holder's event earlier this week.
Virtanen says he has talked with #Canucks scouts all year and expects to talk with them at the combine next week.

keslercrosby*

Linden/Benning regime will make a big splash at the draft.

tanev/garrison + 6th for 1st - draft Ekblad. The young franchise dman the canucks have been lacking.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Me too. Such a badass name.

MDC...

40de1f35.gif

... one of several different versions.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
That's what I like to hear. As much as I want the best player, I also want guys who desperately want to be a part of this team.

The Santorelli effect

Wouldn't mind Virtanen at all. His stock is actually higher than Ritchie right now on a lot of mock drafts.

But if we have the chance to get a guy like Reinhart, this is the year. I don't think the Canucks are a team that will consistently get a top 10 pick.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Isn't he also out 4-6 months with shoulder surgery?

Stamkos had a more significant injury, would you still trade for him?

Others more recently have been hurt coming into the draft, including galy for Montreal. You evaluate the injury, and as long as it is not career threatening you take BPA.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

Others more recently have been hurt coming into the draft, including galy for Montreal. You evaluate the injury, and as long as it is not career threatening you take BPA.

Ryan Murray. Big time.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
He got hurt after the draft though right? Another good one indeed thought. Point still stands.

Ahh I see your angle. Still adds weight to the injury stance however ;)

I think I'm crushing on Virtanen. Every snippet or soundbite is exactly what I want to hear.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Oh, definitely not saying that an injury would dissuade me. The uproar that he can't even come to the main camp or play until maybe December will be hilarious if we do end up drafting him. Really like that he's not even 18 until mid-August and he's already a pro size.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Virtanen's agent said they had to decide when to get the surgery, they knew he could play with it but at some point he would need the surgery.

I believe they chose ASAP, in order to make the WJC fall camp and be in contention to make that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad