GDT: 2014 NHL Entry Draft – Round 1: Fri Jun 27, 7PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ho-Sang is a kid. Plenty of time to mature. At #26, I have no problem with the Habs taking a boom or bust prospect. Especially if it's someone that has top end talent if they boom rather than bust.

From Timmins comments though, the Habs may go off the board even. He said lists between scouts are very different concerning spots 15-40.

Kids can mature but psychological it takes a lot to break thought patterns. Especially if your thought pattern is everyone and everything else is at fault for the drop of my stock instead of me.

If at any point in that article he said he had to do something with how he approaches his off ice training, how he plays on the ice and how he trains on the ice. He doesn't. He blames his GM, he blames his coach, he blames the quality of his line mates, he blames how people perceive his personality, his skin color, his ancestry and how he celebrates. He just doesn't see himself at fault and that is a dangerous prospect to waste a 1st round pick on someone who will only blame external factors.

K1ng0fthecastl3

May 16, 2014
NY
One thing we don't need to do is get rid of picks for the 2015 draft to move up this year. Deep and talented year in 2015.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's the exact opposite of Subban personality wise. Subban is not arrogant in the slightest.

There's a thin line between arrogance and confidence. Subban has never crossed that line, Ho-Sang has jumped it.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ho-Sang is a kid. Plenty of time to mature. At #26, I have no problem with the Habs taking a boom or bust prospect. Especially if it's someone that has top end talent if they boom rather than bust.

From Timmins comments though, the Habs may go off the board even. He said lists between scouts are very different concerning spots 15-40.

Yes, most kids mature, but some of them turn into ****** adults too. Why take the chance?

Blaming race and quality of linemates to the media doesn't point to a chip on a shoulder, it points to a sense of entitlement that probably won't go away.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

He's obviously super skilled and he knows it. He's the kind of guy who can will himself to win as long as well as trip over himself. He's going to get a lot of headwind from the players and media if he keeps sticking his neck out but I can see him as a Roenick type player who's outspoken but can win the respect of the players and media if he puts up and walks the walk.

No way I'd pick up top 20 but later in the draft, I'd think the decision to pick him will weigh heavier and heavier as the draft goes on. One thing Timmins rarley does is go for the homerun swing and as a result, we've seldom drafted a high octane player. I think Ho-Sang could be worth that risk even though it's extremely unlikely the Habs draft him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Roenick didn't play selfishly and he would do anything to win. Ho-Sang is not Roenick.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I remember when the ultra-talented Kiril Kabanov, who was supposed to be a top-5 pick, was picked in the 3rd round.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yes, most kids mature, but some of them turn into ****** adults too. Why take the chance?

Blaming race and quality of linemates to the media doesn't point to a chip on a shoulder, it points to a sense of entitlement that probably won't go away.

He's right though. If they call him a harlem globetrotter, then that's racism.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's right though. If they call him a harlem globetrotter, then that's racism.

But they call Patrick Kane a globetrotter and no one bats an eye. Its a common expression used for players who play a dangling style..

You can take it racial or you can take it as it is actually meant. Only the Windsor gm knows.

LucaGTI

Sep 28, 2012
Montreal
no im sorry thats not racist. the harlem globetrotters are not known for being black, they are known for the exuberant tricks and over the top showmanship. they are known for showing off and overdoing all their plays for entertainment purposes.

Ho Sang clarified the situation himself, he does not consider his GM to be a racist.

it annoys me to no end when people automatically jump to the racism card. yes racism exists, but its not the answer to every controversial issue in sports, media, etc.

Ho Sang is a good player, who is extremely cocky [but no one said thats a bad thing] and is being misquoted everywhere. lets keep it at that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Roenick didn't play selfishly and he would do anything to win. Ho-Sang is not Roenick.

He's obviously not Roenick incarnate.

I used Roenick as a comparison because he's VERY outspoken, and not shy to say what he's thinking, just like Ho-Sang. They're both extremely skilled and can help a team win.

He's not Roenick but there are similarities in their personalities and level of skill even though I think it can be argued Ho-Sang is more skilled than Roenick.

Last edited:

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life

It looks more like a character assassination piece from Simmons than actually being an accurate representation of the kid.

He's exuberant, he's unique, he's outspoken, but a lot of issues in regards to character are majorly overblown.

Now let's all fondly remember the A+ personalities we had in Leblanc and Fischer who simply couldn't give any more of a **** about playing top level hockey.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's obviously not Roenick incarnate.

I used Roenick as a comparison because he's VERY outspoken, and not shy to say what he's thinking, just like Ho-Sang. They're both extremely skilled and can help a team win.

He's not Roenick but there are similarities in their personalities and level of skill even though I think it can be argued Ho-Sang is more skilled than Roenick.

Yeah, I know what you meant. I guess what I was trying to say is that Roenick could walk the walk in high pressure situations. And while Roenick did blame others for his misfortunes, this was later in his career when he had already established himself as a star.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Its-Draft-Day.jpg

Also Friday.

Gotta get down on draft day!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
wish list among players that could be available at 26 :

Lemieux - Low risk, looking at his videos he looks pesky like Gallagher but with Crisp scrapper attitude. Watch out for Colorado (23) and Boston (25).

Barbashev - Liked the leaders comments from Button (orMcKenzie?) seem like a smart player. Apparantly WSH and PHX love him so he might be long gone as they pick in the 10-20 range.

Honka - Sick talent. PMD are the future of the league. Might be gone tho i read Columbus (16) is high on him.

Sherbak - He reminds me of Galchenyuk somehow. He's all over the place in mocks.

Goldobin - sick stats, swing for the fence type of pick ?

Intrigued by czech Vrana and Masin but dont know much about them.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
wish list among players that could be available at 26 :

Lemieux - Low risk, looking at his videos he looks pesky like Gallagher but with Crisp scrapper attitude. Watch out for Colorado (23) and Boston (25).

Barbashev - Liked the leaders comments from Button (orMcKenzie?) seem like a smart player. Apparantly WSH and PHX love him so he might be long gone as they pick in the 10-20 range.

Honka - Sick talent. PMD are the future of the league. Might be gone tho i read Columbus (16) is high on him.

Sherbak - He reminds me of Galchenyuk somehow. He's all over the place in mocks.

Goldobin - sick stats, swing for the fence type of pick ?

Intrigued by czech Vrana and Masin but dont know much about them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barbashev goes in the mid teens instead of the twenty range.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
All in for Ho-Sang yeah he got attitude problem, but with a good coaching staff he could turn out better than Yakupov/MacKinnon, he got the potential (if he starts passing the puck :sarcasm:)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, I know what you meant. I guess what I was trying to say is that Roenick could walk the walk in high pressure situations. And while Roenick did blame others for his misfortunes, this was later in his career when he had already established himself as a star.

Thats not true. Roenick was always outspoken and very vocal, even as a teenager before he was drafted. In todays media unlike 30 years ago, every sound bite is a headline. Roenick's comments made headlines after he was a star because he got the spotlight that was available i.e. National Media outlets to report.

Ho-Sang has every blogger, tweeter, and wanna be reporter hanging off his every word. Different times but still similiar attitudes, that's all I was saying.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Im in for Ho Sang if still available.........he is local boy in Ontario and has super talent and shoots right.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I would feel so bad for WTK's family if we drafted Ho-sang. There'd be chairs and desks flung around all over the place.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
As of today, 1st round, in order, I'm going with:
Jakub Vrana
Connor Bleackley
Jack Dougherty
Josh Ho-Sang
Brendan Lemieux
Markus Pettersson
Nick Schmaltz
Nikolai Goldobin
Ryan Donato
Roland McKeown
John Quenneville

Move up if you can to grab, not in order:
Larkin
Milano
Barbashev
Scherbak
Pastrnak
Fabbri
Sanheim

Which means, I'd be fine with anybody. And probably be MORE fine with trading down. I'll tell you, we will get a better combination with 2 2nd rounders. Problem is that....other teams ALSO believe that. Let's hope that somebody falls around our pick that a team with 2 picks falls in love with.

Who I wouldn't want in the 1st round? Well Demko would be tougher to love. Even if I had him on my list of HM, I might have a tougher time to think that Glover is a good 1st round pick without a 2nd rounder. Somehow I do have my reservation about McCann or Honka. And I do not want McInnis in the 1st round as some suggested. I also changed my mind a little on Cornel and Pollock. Not that they are not worthy 2nd rounders but they are just that....2nd rounders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad