Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
4th ranked goalie by this author. I still don't think he's getting proper respect. I think he's proven himself to be #1. I could understand Samsonov first because he's 6'3 and athletic, but he's not even close to as polished as the other goalies on this list. The other two are not better, in my opinion.

Pronman: 2017-18 midseason Top 50 NHL prospects
Who does he have ahead of him? Sorokin? Hart? Gillies? Costo?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
4th ranked goalie by this author. I still don't think he's getting proper respect. I think he's proven himself to be #1. I could understand Samsonov first because he's 6'3 and athletic, but he's not even close to as polished as the other goalies on this list. The other two are not better, in my opinion.

Pronman: 2017-18 midseason Top 50 NHL prospects

I’m absolutely convinced it’s about Shesty’s size.

Reactions: SnowFort

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wouldn't fret.

Henrik Lundqvist's ranking on similar lists back in 2000-2005 were similarly uninformed.

How many of those goalies do you think would rank ahead of just a few years later?

Exactly.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find the Sorokin ahead of Shestyorkin ranking to be beyond lazy, and it seems like the same takes place in Russia. It doesn't seem like anyone actually cares that Shestyorkin has had better stats at the same levels and has outplayed Sorokin for Russian National Team's, it just seems to matter that Sorokin was given KHL games a year before Shestyorkin, and that means Sorokin is ahead of Shestyorkin. Both are very good, so I don't think there's a big difference, but I think there's a clear difference.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For a flashback, and some perspective, at his prospect peak Lundqvist was regularly ranked below Lehtonen in terms of European goalie prospects.

Which says nothing about the other European goalie prospects who sometimes appeared ahead of him on lists and all the prospects from North America.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stopped 13 of 15 shots. I saw the first, didn't have much to do. Didn't seem like he had much to do the rest of the game either.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
For a flashback, and some perspective, at his prospect peak Lundqvist was regularly ranked below Lehtonen in terms of European goalie prospects.

Which says nothing about the other European goalie prospects who sometimes appeared ahead of him on lists and all the prospects from North America.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that goalies are a bit of a crapshoot. Prior performance isn't always a great indicator of NHL success. We all love Shesty's numbers and skill, but until we actually get him here, nothing is a sure thing. That applies across the board to most goalies, though.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
What is amazing is that he was already over on the other side before the shot was even made. Really good reaction there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good time to post two shutouts in his last 3. The last two starts for Sorokin and Koshechkin haven't been good. Maybe Znarok will give him a chance at the starting spot. It would be pretty unfair to hold the November-December injury against him for a tournament in February when he's been their best KHL goalie and best EHT goalie the last two seasons.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Picked up a loss today. 28 of 31 stopped. He stopped 27 or 29 in regulation, which is .931, OT doesn't tend to help goalie SV%'s.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The above clip is why he's our #1 prospect. If he were in Hartford today, he'd be having ... a bbq in his country house because he sure as hell wouldn't be playing for the Wolf Pack.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Old interview I came across

"- Do you dream of playing in the NHL?
- Yes, I would like to test myself there. However, I have three years left here yet.
- Maybe you will be called up to a summer training camp?
- This year I didn't have time, maybe next time. I would like to go there and improve my English too.
- Henrik Lundqvist is your idol.
- Yes, he has been for a long time. On games consoles, I play as the New York Rangers. I would like to meet him."

Igor Shestyorkin: "I feel comfortable in Saint Petersburg" - ХК СКА Санкт-Петербург.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Samsonov has ideal nhl size otherwise he’s a mess in net from every time I’ve seen him.

Shesterkin is being held back in ratings like these because of two things. His size which I’ve mentioned many times and most here pretend isn’t an issue even though facts have shown how many goalies his size are starters in the NHL (2 total)

And the fact that he plays for a team so far ahead of everyone else in that league it’s hard to judge him. Another point some have cried about not being true. The khl is an awful top heavy and I mean 4 teams maybe, league. And the Olympic choices today just proved it further. The entire Russian team was built from 3 yes 3 total KHL teams.

Shesterkin has all the tools to be elite except his size. But man is he quick. I don’t think anyone can really judge this guy until he comes to a team in a real league. Where he’ll actually be tested. 15 save shutouts are a joke.

Having said that I love the kid but I still have huska as a dark horse to be the guy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Look at his stats for any team he's played for. He's very good. He's not a product of SKA. Samsonov, Shestyorkin and Sorokin play for the three best teams in the KHL. I get the point, but the same thing would then hold true for all three, if it holds true for Shestyorkin.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I know he’s very good. I’m just stating why he continues to be underrated by scouts and reporters here. Those are the two glaring issues. If he was samsonovs size people would be talking about him as one of the top 5 prospects in the world. Not just goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad