GDT: 2014 NHL Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I hope Ekblad falls to us....I have a hunch he will

If everything falls into place

Florida takes Bennet. Just like the surprising Barkov pick last year Florida takes a forward slotted for 3-5. A winger that completes the Barkov-Huberdeau-Bennet line.

Buffalo obviously takes Reinhart with their amazing D prospects already in place.

Edmonton believes they have a very deep D prospect pool (as quoted today) and take Draisaitl. His size should be really appealing to them.

Then we snatch Ekblad :yo:

In all seriousness, I think Buffalo definately takes a forward and Draisaitl fits Edmontons needs perfectly. Just need to bank of Florida taking Bennet or Reinhart first.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I disagree. Panthers have a very deep group of centre prospects (Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjudstad, Grimaldi, Rau and Pirri) and needs depth on their blueline badly. They will undoubtedly pick Ekblad.

In fact as I was typing this Button nailed my top 5 perfectly.

I had also just sent my dad a text with the exact top 4.
Im pretty sure buttons nailed it. As did you and i.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Exactly. Some people on the Flames Facebook page have been saying we should pick Virtanen just because they've seen him play for the Hitmen.:shakehead

Dal Colle's the perfect fit for us. From what I've seen from him this season, he has an NHL shot, great sense around the net, great hands, and great physicality to his game. He could play on any of Backlund or Monahan's line if he makes the team next season.
I do not think it would be smart at all to keep him in the bigs next year. For the game that he plays he needs to fill out his body. He is a sort of hybrid player though( my best comparison is Jeff Carter) and will most likely need to fill out. He is 6 foot 2 and only 180 and has a body comparable really to Janko. He is not big enough to push of checks and hold possesion of the puck the way he does in the OHL in the NHL. He does however have the highest offensive potential in the draft(debatable with Nylander and Ehlers)

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
How exciting is it going to be with two legitimate Canadian centers?

don+cherry+thumbs+up.jpg

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Huberdeau isn't a centre anymore; he's been playing wing for awhile now. The Panthers, like the Oilers, Sabres and Flames, need a bit of everything.

It all depends on who each team believes is the BPA. With no clear cut consensus, I don't doubt there's going to be a ton of surprises come draft day.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I really don't think Reinhart, Ekblad, and Bennett will fall out of the Top 3.

You underestimate the stupidity the Edmonton Oilers franchise. If they think Draisatl is more NHL ready than Bennett, they'll take him.

That said, I'd be stoked to get Dal Colle at #4. He was converted to LW only this year. Any chance he could be converted back to center with Laughton moving on to the pros?

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
You underestimate the stupidity the Edmonton Oilers franchise. If they think Draisatl is more NHL ready than Bennett, they'll take him.

That said, I'd be stoked to get Dal Colle at #4. He was converted to LW only this year. Any chance he could be converted back to center with Laughton moving on to the pros?

Thats my thinking although it would mean most likely another year in the OHL. Not an issue as far as im concerned but takes away from the win now mentality some (Burke) have.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Thats my thinking although it would mean most likely another year in the OHL. Not an issue as far as im concerned but takes away from the win now mentality some (Burke) have.

Burke has always been an advocate of ending players back to junior after their draft year. He did it with Bobby Ryan, Nazem Kadri, and Morgan Reilly. He has said many times Monahan is an exception who forced his way onto the team. So even if Bennett falls to us at #4, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to juniour.

TheClassicK*

I do not think it would be smart at all to keep him in the bigs next year. For the game that he plays he needs to fill out his body. He is a sort of hybrid player though( my best comparison is Jeff Carter) and will most likely need to fill out. He is 6 foot 2 and only 180 and has a body comparable really to Janko. He is not big enough to push of checks and hold possesion of the puck the way he does in the OHL in the NHL. He does however have the highest offensive potential in the draft(debatable with Nylander and Ehlers)

Although I fully agree with you, I meant that if he does make the team, he'd be a decent fit on our top three lines at the LW spot considering Cammy is more likely to earn big money elsewhere. And if he does make the team, it'd surely mean he'll try to gain about 10-15lbs in the off-season and get stronger.

He's decent in his two-way game, and in my opinion he has better footspeed and agility than Monahan or Colborne. I think offensively he's done everything he could, and the other parts of his game will have to be improved in the NHL or the minors, but not the juniors.

TheClassicK*

But I guess the number of youngsters - M.Reinhart, Granlund, Gaudreau, our future 1st Rder, etc - that will break into the team will depend on who we acquire and sign in the off-season. We have the money to spend big, and I wouldn't mind a big contract to a free agent who'll be able to step in and be one of the top guys right away.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Good lord, the young forward depth in this organization is going to be insane.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Poirier
Baertschi - Backlund- Colborne
Reinhart - Dal Colle / Bennett - Klimchuk
Ferland - Granlund - Knight
Agostino - Jankowski - Hanowski
Brabant - Arnold - Jooris

When does Burke start trading some of these guys for their defensive equivalents?

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Good lord, the young forward depth in this organization is going to be insane.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Poirier
Baertschi - Backlund- Colborne
Reinhart - Dal Colle / Bennett - Klimchuk
Ferland - Granlund - Knight
Agostino - Jankowski - Hanowski
Brabant - Arnold - Jooris

When does Burke start trading some of these guys for their defensive equivalents?
I would like to trade these guys for a struggling young D with potential.

TheClassicK*

I would like to trade these guys for a struggling young D with potential.

I wanted us to trade for Del Zotto since he really has some untapped potential that could be fulfilled at a club like Calgary, but it's too bad he shoots left.

Priority would be right-shooting defensemen that can or has the potential to play in the top 2 pairings. I can't stand Wideman, he just doesn't fit into this team. Horrible footspeed, slow decision-making, and the inability to shoot through screens which is often overlooked by many.

That's kinda why someone like Ekblad would do wonders for our team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the Oilers love Draisaitl more than anyone, simply because he fills their need as a big centerman.

I agree with this, and Howson basically said they are not taking Ekblad. I think from what I've heard, Draisaitl is their guy all the way, much like us with Jankowski when we took him. Button agrees with the assessment to. I really think Bennett or Reinhart is ours, and I'm going to cry if we draft either one. As much as I love Reinhart, Bennett is going to be a stud and I'd be ecstatic to have him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree with this, and Howson basically said they are not taking Ekblad. I think from what I've heard, Draisaitl is their guy all the way, much like us with Jankowski when we took him. Button agrees with the assessment to. I really think Bennett or Reinhart is ours, and I'm going to cry if we draft either one. As much as I love Reinhart, Bennett is going to be a stud and I'd be ecstatic to have him.

If you had told me at the start of the year that we could draft Reinhart, not have to finish dead last, and have better seasons than the Oilers and almost Canucks, I would have been overjoyed with how the season went considering we are rebuilding.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Doesn't sound like Draisaitl is a Brian Burke type of player. If the top 3 are gone, Dal Colle it will be. Still hoping we somehow end up with Reinhart or Bennett. :crossfing

He's right up Burke's alley actually.
If he's on the table; he'll be a Flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad