2014 NHL Draft: Leafs currently picking 19th./20th. and rising(worse pick).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace88*

Does anyone actually think Bleakley will be available at 19-23? I mean, he's the one I want most right now, and it "seems" he's going under the radar, but you have to think someone's going to go off the board and snag him earlier at like 14-16.

If we stay in the range we are and pick 19-23 and both he and Kempe are gone, I wouldn't mind making a deal with a team like St. Louis for their 1st and Edmonton's 2nd, and pick up a guy like McKeown and/or Hosang. I actually really like McKeown and think he'd be another great addition to our future blueline, especially with our lack of high-end RHD.

Considering the absolute dearth of higher end players in our system not on defense, i would be really, really disappointed with a McKeown pick. Im still hoping for one of the centres available (looks like McCann might be available where we should be picking) or move back a couple of spots and try and pick up a couple high end skill guys. If we could move back and pick up Ho-Sang and Fiala i would be beyond stoked. Even further back and try and snag Nedeljkovic would be awesome too.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Considering the absolute dearth of higher end players in our system not on defense, i would be really, really disappointed with a McKeown pick. Im still hoping for one of the centres available (looks like McCann might be available where we should be picking) or move back a couple of spots and try and pick up a couple high end skill guys. If we could move back and pick up Ho-Sang and Fiala i would be beyond stoked. Even further back and try and snag Nedeljkovic would be awesome too.

While I'm totally in agreement with the need for higher end forwards in the system, I think McKeown is one of the more interesting prospects in the draft. He's got top pairing upside as a Suter like dman (playing style similarity and the calmness he displays, not actual upside).

If he's still on the board, he might be the guy with the highest end potential that's available to pick. And as much as I'd love taking a higher end potential forward, it would be hard to pass up McKeown's potential that late. Of course it all depends on who is available...

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
While I'm totally in agreement with the need for higher end forwards in the system, I think McKeown is one of the more interesting prospects in the draft. He's got top pairing upside as a Suter like dman (playing style similarity and the calmness he displays, not actual upside).

If he's still on the board, he might be the guy with the highest end potential that's available to pick. And as much as I'd love taking a higher end potential forward, it would be hard to pass up McKeown's potential that late. Of course it all depends on who is available...

McK a RHS D?

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Our D is set for the next 5 years at least !! dion, rielly, gleason, gardiner, gunnar/finn, percy, granberg/mcwilliam...

we need top offensive talent: fiala(my pick), ho sang, goldobin..

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Gotta go with BPA .. If it's relatively even you go with the BPA that has the highest ceiling .. If THAT's still even, then BPA with the highest ceiling that plays the position you need the most

Drafting purely based on need isn't smart IMO

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
McK a RHS D?

Yep, and honestly, if Bleakley/McCann and maybe Kempe are gone and he's the only one left, I'd take him because even though we are bereft of offensive talent, he's a guy who I see as very interesting and could be another Finn-type of guy, I see him really breaking out next year in the O and making whoever gets him very happy. Otherwise, I'd trade down and take stab with 2 picks instead of 1, because I see the talent from 20-40ish being very similar in this draft.

Ace88*

I agree with going bpa, but there's probably going to be several bpa's where we pick.

If Kempe drops to where we're picking, i would **** a brick. If Nonis didn't take him, i would march right down to the MLSE headquarters and give him a taste of his own medicine:

ivTZwL9Z4k6JA.gif

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I am not as sold as some of you are on Rielly, Finn, etc. Plus, I think there is always a chance to upgrade defensively both currently and in the future. That's where the problems are; the Leafs always manage to score.

As for the draft itself, there is depth. Not a lot intrigues me in our range, so I see the pick as expendable, but some of the guys expected to be taken higher are very intriguing. That's where I would like to be. If there is any draft to trade up in, this is it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Rielly is something special. The kid has looked good. Going to be a cornerstone for us.

Matt Finn, I was skeptical on before this year, but he has really taken an extra step in the OHL this season. Let's hope he can take another step in the AHL.

Personally, I go Best Forward Available.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Rielly is something special. The kid has looked good. Going to be a cornerstone for us.

Matt Finn, I was skeptical on before this year, but he has really taken an extra step in the OHL this season. Let's hope he can take another step in the AHL.

Personally, I go Best Forward Available.

When it comes to prospects at a certain position, it's never a bad thing to have a surplus of NHL defensemen. Especially with the Franson played last season and then this season. Makes people really expendable and then we are trading from a position of strength. Either way filling the cupboards and holding onto the pick is the most important part while the team continues to grow and improve.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I think you take the best player available, regardless of need and then you've got options to trade with valuable assets in the future.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
When it comes to prospects at a certain position, it's never a bad thing to have a surplus of NHL defensemen. Especially with the Franson played last season and then this season. Makes people really expendable and then we are trading from a position of strength. Either way filling the cupboards and holding onto the pick is the most important part while the team continues to grow and improve.

See the trade of Blacker for Holland .. A good use of defensive depth in exchange for a position of need

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

See the trade of Blacker for Holland .. A good use of defensive depth in exchange for a position of need

Good point.

I think there are more quality forwards around where we are then defense anyway.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Maatta, Jones, Trouba, Murray, and Lindholm have all been just as good if not better than Rielly. That's not to say Rielly will not be better than them in the future, it is instead just to say at this point in time, you can be justified in taking any of them over Rielly. Thus, the only way to say Rielly is special or whatever you want to call him, would be to say all of these guys are. If you are working from a broad definition of 'special', then that's cool, but I personally prefer a narrow definition.

The Leafs have done well trading D for positions of need and getting back good value. EX: Beauchemin, Blacker, Schenn, Aulie (though Ashton hasn't worked out), etc. I haven't seen comparable examples where you can say the same for trading forwards.

Ace88*

Honestly epic i think id take the first four over rielly, which is no knock on rielly. 2012 was just that good for defensemen.

Next season though i think Rielly gets a more prominent role and pops 40ish points while driving the 2nd-3rd line offense.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
I cant wait for riellys off season. He will have a good idea what he needs to work on at the nhl level now.. and this kid is a work horse, loved the clips and articles of him being a beast last year.

I would love ho sang, goldobin this draft, but if we grab bpa and its a defenseman I wouldnt be upset, just means we need another brown/johnson !!

Ace88*

They shouldnt. it isnt time just yet. Next season i would be fine with trading the first for a rental, as i think second round is the minimum goal for the team this year. Theyre not done growing together as a unit, but next season they ought to be making a serious run at the eastern title.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
If we pick a D-man in the first round I'd love to get either Hayden Fleury or Roland McKeown. Personally I like Honka but I think he's too small for d and isn't the type of d-man the leafs need. Mckeown is a RHD so he'd fill a need and not to mention he plays a really good solid game. Fleury I think could be special he has all the tools to be a great shut down d man, but he comes with an evolving offensive game so you know the upside is there. However those are the only 2 guys I'd take at our pick for d-men. If we're going to reach on a d man it should be one of the US guys they all seem like great value early second rounders.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Wish list, one of:

Goldobin
Ho-sang
Fabbri
Kempe
McKeown

Ho sang would be #1 for me of that list, followed by Kempe, but I like all your names.

After loading up on some bigger, defensive oriented forwards the last few drafts I think it could be a good time to take a shot at a smaller skilled forward with upside. And there seems to be lots of them in this draft

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Honestly epic i think id take the first four over rielly, which is no knock on rielly. 2012 was just that good for defensemen.

Next season though i think Rielly gets a more prominent role and pops 40ish points while driving the 2nd-3rd line offense.

I'd really only take Jones and Trouba over him at this point. Weird to include Jones though, since he was a 2013 pick, not 2012. Maybe epic was talking about 94 dman? But Murray is a 93 so I don't know. But I've always been a big Trouba fan, think he's a unique dman. Not many like him come along.

Both Murray and Lindholm have been fantastic but personally I think Rielly has a higher potential still.

Maata is a toss up. He was a guy I loved in the draft, he's younger than Rielly and he's playing incredibly. He's being developed well right now. I love him but I'm still on the fence between him and Rielly.

It's not toally fair to compare Rielly to any of the other guys though. He's basically a year back in his development from all of them (including Jones, who had two USHL and one WHL season) because of the injury he had in his draft year. And he still went 5th overall. The mystery sort of muddles the discussion between them if you really want to try and choose between them.

That doesn't mean he will be better than them, he might not. But I'm not sure it's fair to pick any of them over him at this point objectively.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Ho sang would be #1 for me of that list, followed by Kempe, but I like all your names.

After loading up on some bigger, defensive oriented forwards the last few drafts I think it could be a good time to take a shot at a smaller skilled forward with upside. And there seems to be lots of them in this draft

I just want a skilled forward lol. Don't really care what size he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad