2014 NHL Draft: Leafs currently picking 19th./20th. and rising(worse pick).

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
All the CHL leagues have started, and with the preseason well underway, it's time to start a new draft thread!

September ISS Rankings

Bob McKenizie's Preseason list: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=31165

Craig Button's Preliminary List: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Future Considerations Preliminary List: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-preliminary-ranking-for-2014-nhl-draft/

Top 25 American's for 2014: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1464999&highlight=future+considerations

Draft Pick Information:

Inventory

1st Round: Tor 1st

2nd Round: Tor 2nd*

3rd Round: Tor 3rd*

4th Round: Ari 4th*, Cgy 4th*

5th Round: Tor 5th

6th Round: Tor 6th

7th Round: Tor 7th

Conditions and Whereabouts

Los Angeles will receive a second-round pick in 2014 or 2015 at Toronto's choice.

Los Angeles acquired this pick in a trade on June 23, 2013 that sent Jonathan Bernier to Toronto in exchange for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, and this conditional pick.

Anaheim will receive a second-round pick if Holland plays in 25 or more games during the remainder of the 2013–14 NHL season. If he does not then this will pick remain a third-round pick.

Anaheim acquired this pick in a trade on November 16, 2013 that sent Peter Holland and Brad Staubitz to Toronto in exchange for Jesse Blacker, Anaheim's seventh-round pick in 2014 and this conditional pick.

Toronto will receive a third-round pick if Colborne scores 10 goals or 35 points during the 2013–14 NHL season and if Calgary qualifies for the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs. If both conditions are not converted then this will remain a fourth-round pick. As of Nov. 21, on pace for 8 goals, 20 points.

Toronto acquired this pick in a trade on September 29, 2013 that sent Joe Colborne to Calgary in exchange for this conditional pick.

The Arizona Coyotes' fourth-round pick will go to the Toronto Maple Leafs as the result of a trade on January 16, 2013 that sent Matthew Lombardi to Phoenix in exchange for this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade). The condition – If Lombardi does not re-sign with Phoenix for the 2013-14 season, then Toronto will receive a fourth-round pick in 2014 – was converted on August 29, 2013.

The Toronto Maple Leafs' fourth-round pick will go to the Colorado Avalanche as the result of a trade on April 3, 2013 that sent Ryan O'Byrne to Toronto in exchange for this pick.

The Edmonton Oilers' fourth-round pick will go to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade June 30, 2013 that sent Dave Bolland to Toronto in exchange for Toronto's second-round pick in 2013, Anaheim's fourth-round pick in 2013 and this pick.
Toronto previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on March 4, 2013 that sent Mike Brown to Edmonton in exchange for this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade). The condition – Toronto will receive a fourth-round pick in 2014 if Edmonton fails to qualify for the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs – was converted on April 21, 2013.

The Anaheim Ducks' seventh-round pick was re-acquired as the result of a trade on November 16, 2013 that sent Peter Holland and Brad Staubitz to Toronto in exchange for Jesse Blacker, a conditional third-round pick in 2014 and this pick.
Toronto previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on March 15, 2013 that sent David Steckel to Anaheim in exchange for Ryan Lasch and this pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Hopefully we will not be in a position to draft any of those 3 or even draft in the top 15.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Some notable games from draft eligible players.

Roland McKeown had a huge 4 assist, plus 4 night helping Kingston in an 11-4 win over the Pete's. Sam Bennett helped with a goal and an assist. Nick Ritchie had a goal for the Pete's but was an awful -4.

Michael Dal Colle had 2 goals and 4 points in his first game without Jenner and Biggs on his line. Nice stat line for one of the younger players eligible in the draft.

William Nylander has 0 points in his first three games playing in Allsvenskan.

Ivan Barbashev has 2 goals and 3 points in his first two games for Moncton.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Meh, if we are in the position to draft Ekblad, I wouldn't be THAT upset :P

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
acquire-all-the-prospects.jpg

(this should be the motto of HF, given how some of the posters value prospects :P)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
acquire-all-the-prospects.jpg

(this should be the motto of HF, given how some of the posters value prospects :P)

It can be amusing to see that motto sometimes haha. Although I will admit I myself love talking about acquiring a boat load of picks for prospects in every draft year ;)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Draisaitl with 1 assist in his season debut.

Sam Reinhart with a goal in Kootenay's loss.

Goldobin with 2 goals and 3 points in Sarnia's opener. He's hella talented with the puck and Sarnia's been pretty damn good at developing Russian's lately. My gut says he'll push for top 10 status.

Dal Colle is off to a huge start, with another three points in his second game. He leads the OHL with 7 points in 2 games now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Draft has an underwhelming feel to it. Just waiting for the McDavid draft.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Reinhart with a goal early on. Gaudet actually scored on his own net and he was credited with it. Lots of good prospects in this game.

Edit: Reinhart with an assist. Long outlet pass to Philp, drops and cross with my boy Descheneau, Jaedon sends it over infront and Philp tips it in. 3-3 game.

Last edited:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Ekblad has to be on roids. He had a full beard by the age of 15 like wtf.

It's insane. He's gigantic. I sometimes worry about bigger players who mature so quickly, with regards to them just being men already and playing with teenagers. A bigger player can just push smaller guys around right? So the jump to the NHL can be a lot harder. But when a guy like Ekblad has so much skill to go along with that size, it's hard to worry.

You're definitely getting yourself a workhorse number 1 dman in the vein of Weber with Ekblad. Tough as nails, strong dman. That would be a pretty nice piece for any team to add (in fact I'd love to see the Flames add him).

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
It's insane. He's gigantic. I sometimes worry about bigger players who mature so quickly, with regards to them just being men already and playing with teenagers. A bigger player can just push smaller guys around right? So the jump to the NHL can be a lot harder. But when a guy like Ekblad has so much skill to go along with that size, it's hard to worry.

You're definitely getting yourself a workhorse number 1 dman in the vein of Weber with Ekblad. Tough as nails, strong dman. That would be a pretty nice piece for any team to add (in fact I'd love to see the Flames add him).

I've watched Aaron since he was knee high. He's a special player. Size, IQ, Leadership, good skills.... you name it. He's definitely in conversation for top spot.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Draft has an underwhelming feel to it. Just waiting for the McDavid draft.

Ya outside the top 5 or 7 it seems pretty weak

Depends what you're looking for. It's definitely not deep in big impact/star type players like last year was (or what I think counts for an big impact player), nor does it have an overwhelming depth of a certain position (like 2008 and defenseman for example).

There's still a lot to like. Reinhart, Barbashev, Ekblad, Dal Colle, Draisatl, Sam Bennett, Nylander, Virtanen, Kapanen, Vrana, Anton Karlsson, Adrian Kempe, Nick Ritchie, Roland McKeown are all some players who have shown a lot of potential and have some nice momentum from scouts.

It's a pretty strong year from a non-North American perspective. Nylander, Vrana, Kapanen, Karlsson, Barbashev and Kempe are all guys who could challenge for the top 10 by June which is pretty impressive.

There's some other pretty intriguing players with nice upside. Guys like Nich Schmaltz, Nikoaj Ehlers, Brayden Point and Chase De Leo (both small forwards and Portland's been pretty damn good at developing small forwards), Nikolai Goldobin, Ryan MacInnis (yep, Al's son), Jared McCann (very good OHL rookie season, now has 4 goals in his first 2 games in his sophomore year), Anthony DeAngelo (potential high end PP dman) and Spencer Watson.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Julius Honka has come out of the gates FLYING.

I'm a sucker for small super-skilled PMDs.

Not a lot of talk about one of the most interesting prospects going into the season, Plymouth LW Matt Mistele. 34 goals and 60 points in 68 games last year. He's already 6'2 175, and according to our resident OHL guru Brock, he's not afraid of using it, on the rush and in his own zone. He's ranked in the late first, but could shoot up the rankings.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm a sucker for small super-skilled PMDs.

Not a lot of talk about one of the most interesting prospects going into the season, Plymouth LW Matt Mistele. 34 goals and 60 points in 68 games last year. He's already 6'2 175, and according to our resident OHL guru Brock, he's not afraid of using it, on the rush and in his own zone. He's ranked in the late first, but could shoot up the rankings.

Mistele is definitely interesting. Has real nice size, good scoring prowess and if he can use that size, than he's got some nice potential that any team would love to have.

I'm interested to see how he does ranking wise. Plymouth shouldn't be anywhere near the strong team they were last year, especially if they lose Tom Wilson and Connor Carrick (which is likely). Mistele could suffer offensively as he learns to play without someother talented players.

But of course being a power forward, teams could really look at him and draft him high.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Well we can't get ekblad or reinhart....or nylander...so how about some schmaltz

I'd like Schmaltz. He's got good size, and apparently elite or near elite level offensive skill. Always a nice combanation and one the Leafs could use in the prospect pool, at least with the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad