Prospect Info: 2014 NHL draft discussion - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That's how I understand it too but I believe Axel himself said in an interview (before signed) that he would be willing to play in St. Johns if the Jets signed him. And his agent at one point did the same. It might just have been Axel not being entirely sure of his status or being misinformed by his agent.

It's some kind of miscommunication. I obviously don't have the transcript but it could anything from him or his agent not understanding CBA to them saying he's willing to stay in AHL when's eligible for it. I can say for 100% certain he is not eligible to be a full-time AHLer next year due to CHL-NHL agreement.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
That's how I understand it too but I believe Axel himself said in an interview (before signed) that he would be willing to play in St. Johns if the Jets signed him. And his agent at one point did the same. It might just have been Axel not being entirely sure of his status or being misinformed by his agent.

was axel given a 3 year elc? he would have had to have been right? In that case, it's likely that he was referring to the third year. Just making the designation that he'd play in ST johns as opposed to seeking a contract back in the SHL.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
was axel given a 3 year elc? he would have had to have been right? In that case, it's likely that he was referring to the third year. Just making the designation that he'd play in ST johns as opposed to seeking a contract back in the SHL.

His "3rd" year after signing the ELC would still be his first. He contract will slide in each of the first two years (assuming he doesn't make Jets next year) so that he will still have 3 years remaining on his ELC in training camp of 2015-16.

He also does not have to the option to seek a contract in SHL. He is under contract with NHL which have a transfer agreement with SHL. He may be assigned there, but SHL does not go against NHL contracts due to agreement.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
His "3rd" year after signing the ELC would still be his first. He contract will slide in each of the first two years (assuming he doesn't make Jets next year) so that he will still have 3 years remaining on his ELC in training camp of 2015-16.

He also does not have to the option to seek a contract in SHL. He is under contract with NHL which have a transfer agreement with SHL. He may be assigned there, but SHL does not go against NHL contracts due to agreement.

Ahh that makes sense. Wasnt sure if undrafted signees slid like draftees.

As for the transfer agreement, it certainly seems like just miscommunicatoon

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I've heard that you might see more than a few "surprise" picks this year. For the average person it'll be who? and the average draft pundit what? (I consider most HFers draft pundits compared to population though haha). That's one thing I'd stress with this draft class in particular even if the Jets take someone rated my 30's, give it time. There are very few NHL ready prospects, we have lots of skill here but it's really raw. This draft won't be decided soon, it'll take quite a bit of time. This draft has plenty of talent but it's very close right now and very unpredictable. We'll see.

I'll still take cred when Kempe and Larkin are quality NHLers though ;). Seriously those are my top targets for Jets.

Easy now, I was the first person on here to mention Larkin. We'll share duel cred. :)

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I'm gonna be away camping the entire draft weekend with no access to any technology, cell phone, internet or anything. I will be blissfully ignorant of any huge changes around draft day for the Jets or any big surprise picks, etc.

The only thing I can do is look to the night sky and see if I can see the glow of the smoke and fire emanating from the city of Winnipeg if something big and perhaps controversial happens.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I'm gonna be away camping the entire draft weekend with no access to any technology, cell phone, internet or anything. I will be blissfully ignorant of any huge changes around draft day for the Jets or any big surprise picks, etc.

The only thing I can do is look to the night sky and see if I can see the glow of the smoke and fire emanating from the city of Winnipeg if something big and perhaps controversial happens.

You'll have the advantage of missing out on the hysteria, and coming back to all the posts from people after they've dug up some highlights and can say why the kid is so good.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
You'll have the advantage of missing out on the hysteria, and coming back to all the posts from people after they've dug up some highlights and can say why the kid is so good.

Maybe If I'm beseiged by a horde of locusts it could be a sign that the apocolypse is near and
Pavs has been bought out.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Hey everyone! (It's Guerzy, changed username, etc).. :)

Over the last month or so I've been working on starting up my own OHL Prospects site and have finally gotten everything tidied up enough to launch. You'll find my Final Top 30 Prospect Rankings as well as Top 30 OHL Prospects for the 2014 Draft (with analysis). As a long-time OHL guy (season tickets for 16 years) I've decided to do my own thing, give my opinions and thoughts, etc. All for fun and my enjoyment, and hopefully yours too.

Enjoy! ... or not. :laugh: :D

Top 30 OHL Prospect Rankings #1-15

Top 30 OHL Prospect Rankings #16-30

Final Top 30 Prospect Rankings

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Over the last month or so I've been working on starting up my own OHL Prospects site and have finally gotten everything tidied up enough to launch. You'll find my Final Top 30 Prospect Rankings as well as Top 30 OHL Prospects for the 2014 Draft (with analysis). As a long-time OHL guy (season tickets for 16 years) I've decided to do my own thing, give my opinions and thoughts, etc. All for fun and my enjoyment, and hopefully yours too.

Great job and excellent lists. I really hope we can find some way to move up and snag Bennet, he's been my favorite player in this years draft all year.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Great job and excellent lists. I really hope we can find some way to move up and snag Bennet, he's been my favorite player in this years draft all year.

Mine too.

I've thought he was the type of player the Jets are sorely missing. I just don't see any way we can move up to grab him. Maybe Chevy will surprise me. Not counting on it.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
The only way I can see us moving up to get a chance at Bennett/Reinhart is if Florida is interested in something involving Evander Kane. While I could see it happening, apart of me doesn't believe Florida would be too interested in Kane. He just doesn't seem like a "Florida Panthers" kind of player long-term. In other words, in four years when his contract is up he's likely gone, so I doubt Florida trades that no. 1 pick in a deal involving him. But, you never know.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The only way I can see us moving up to get a chance at Bennett/Reinhart is if Florida is interested in something involving Evander Kane. While I could see it happening, apart of me doesn't believe Florida would be too interested in Kane. He just doesn't seem like a "Florida Panthers" kind of player long-term. In other words, in four years when his contract is up he's likely gone, so I doubt Florida trades that no. 1 pick in a deal involving him. But, you never know.

Buffalo might trade their pick.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Hey Matt

great to see the reviews and congrats on the new project!

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah, I don't see Blockbuster Move as part of Chevy's GM DNA. So far he has showed he's content to draft and do some minor tinkering.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Why you would trade Kane for an unproven player is beyond me.

If you traded a top 50 offensive producer for Pat Stefan, that'd be on heck of a bad move. Moving Kane for ANY of these players isn't worth it IMO.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Why you would trade Kane for an unproven player is beyond me.

If you traded a top 50 offensive producer for Pat Stefan, that'd be on heck of a bad move. Moving Kane for ANY of these players isn't worth it IMO.

They could flop, but going by the top picks over the last decade +, I'm willing to take the gamble. I personally love Bennett and Reinhart, so if a deal was there involving something with Kane, I'd do it. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad