2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Everything Visnovsky said his exit interview was really worrying. I think he's going to end up retiring this summer due to concussions. He talks about being fine for a few days then constant head aches another so it's not a good sign.

We can't rely on him for next season at all, which should be another reason we are active this summer.

I don't think there's any way Visnovsky retires when he's owed $6M next year. He may end up on LTIR, but I don't see him retiring. Your point remains that we can't rely on him.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'm surprised Visnovsky even returned this season. The first concussion early in the season seemed to be a bad one. Even months after, people described him as still being hazy and not totally there. He underwent some radical treatment and it seemed to work, otherwise I don't think he would have played at all. We saw how our defense fell apart without him, but I hope Snow looks at him as a luxury rather than an integral piece going forward. I just can't trust that he'll be able to complete a full season and then the playoffs too.

The emergence of CdH completely changed the dynamic of the blue line so we won't be as screwed next season like this past year if Visnovsky misses more time. The presence of Reinhart also would help ease the loss. Other than a goalie, I hope Snow brings in another veteran top-4 d-man.

I would love to be able to get just two months out of Vis to start the season. IMO, that would be perfect. It would give Reinhart enough time to adapt, and it would give us enough time to evaluate which of Pulock, Pokka or Mayfield are ready to step in and replace him. Chances are, between three prospects at that level, at least one of them will separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

If you don't think you can even count on Vis for that, then I agree. Go out and bring in a replacement. Don't bring in a backup plan - just move on from Visnovsky all together.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I would love to be able to get just two months out of Vis to start the season. IMO, that would be perfect. It would give Reinhart enough time to adapt, and it would give us enough time to evaluate which of Pulock, Pokka or Mayfield are ready to step in and replace him. Chances are, between three prospects at that level, at least one of them will separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

If you don't think you can even count on Vis for that, then I agree. Go out and bring in a replacement. Don't bring in a backup plan - just move on from Visnovsky all together.

As others have mentioned, Visnovsky is going nowhere. He is slated to make $6M next year, he's not calling it quits. If he gets hurt, he goes on LTIR and I think insurance picks up the tab (not sure 100% sure about this).

If he can give us 1/4 to 1/2 a season to start, that would be a win IMO. I think Reinhart will be his eventual successor and it will probably happen some time in the 2nd half of next season. The part of him mentoring Reinhart is also a bonus.

Other than Reinhart, I wouldn't be comfortable with any of the other young d-men playing a significant role next year. We needed a veteran top-4 guy before Visnovsky's health status, we need one even more now.

I hope Snow tries to trade for a d-man at the Draft using his multitude of picks. I'd be ok with a 1-year stop gap, we need a replacement for Visnovsky even if he's healthy. Our lack of depth was exposed this season, let's not try and repeat that again next year.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
As others have mentioned, Visnovsky is going nowhere. He is slated to make $6M next year, he's not calling it quits. If he gets hurt, he goes on LTIR and I think insurance picks up the tab (not sure 100% sure about this).

If he can give us 1/4 to 1/2 a season to start, that would be a win IMO. I think Reinhart will be his eventual successor and it will probably happen some time in the 2nd half of next season. The part of him mentoring Reinhart is also a bonus.

Other than Reinhart, I wouldn't be comfortable with any of the other young d-men playing a significant role next year. We needed a veteran top-4 guy before Visnovsky's health status, we need one even more now.

I hope Snow tries to trade for a d-man at the Draft using his multitude of picks. I'd be ok with a 1-year stop gap, we need a replacement for Visnovsky even if he's healthy. Our lack of depth was exposed this season, let's not try and repeat that again next year.

I think our depth will be in a completely different boat next season. Even if we're hit with injuries:

Donovan has NHL experience, and seems to have settled in. Mayfield has a full year of pro hockey, and looked good in his cup of coffee. Pedan has a little bit of pro experience, which will be a plus. Then there is Pulock, who looked good enough to at least warrant consideration for making the team last year. Pokka, who has been playing in a Men's league for the past 3 seasons, and was apparently one of the top defensemen in the league this past year. Czuczman, who received a good amount of NHL experience this year and looked pretty reliable. I don't doubt that he'll come back even better next year.

This doesn't even count a guy like Pelech, who will also be in Bridgeport. There are a ton of options. Not just good young players, but guys that have either had success at the NHL level; guys with Pro experience; guys with experience playing against men Internationally; and guys who have already shown they are good enough to make an NHL roster.

Just having de Haan - Hamonic on the top pairing to start the year should settle things down defensively. A lot of our struggles came because of MacDonald's regression this year. Ever since he left, even with an extremely young lineup, and without guys like Visnovsky and Strait, the defense looked miles ahead of where it was for the first half of the year.

I don't think this defense is in as bad of shape for next season as some think.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think our depth will be in a completely different boat next season. Even if we're hit with injuries:

Donovan has NHL experience, and seems to have settled in. Mayfield has a full year of pro hockey, and looked good in his cup of coffee. Pedan has a little bit of pro experience, which will be a plus. Then there is Pulock, who looked good enough to at least warrant consideration for making the team last year. Pokka, who has been playing in a Men's league for the past 3 seasons, and was apparently one of the top defensemen in the league this past year. Czuczman, who received a good amount of NHL experience this year and looked pretty reliable. I don't doubt that he'll come back even better next year.

This doesn't even count a guy like Pelech, who will also be in Bridgeport. There are a ton of options. Not just good young players, but guys that have either had success at the NHL level; guys with Pro experience; guys with experience playing against men Internationally; and guys who have already shown they are good enough to make an NHL roster.

Just having de Haan - Hamonic on the top pairing to start the year should settle things down defensively. A lot of our struggles came because of MacDonald's regression this year. Ever since he left, even with an extremely young lineup, and without guys like Visnovsky and Strait, the defense looked miles ahead of where it was for the first half of the year.

I don't think this defense is in as bad of shape for next season as some think.

I agree that we're in better shape than last year, but we still have a ways to go. The majority of the kids (while very promising), they are not ready and I don't really care how well they are doing in their development. The fact remains that none of them (outside of Mayfield and Donovan) have ever played a professional AHL/NHL game yet. They are going to need time to adjust, as will Reinhart.

You see a lot of 18 year olds come into the league and have a good rookie season only to suffer a major sophomore slump. Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Huberdeau all looked very good last year... they have had tough seasons this year. I like the Isles and their patient mentality because you limit the chance that they fall on their faces in their 2nd season. Nelson, Lee, Strome have all been handled with kid gloves and I'd be surprised if any of them suffered a major let down next year - CdH too. They've all gone through the system and allowed to mature at their own pace.

We need another vet back there, these kids are not ready for prime time. That's something that could happen in another year or two, but banking on that for next season... you'll probably be disappointed.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Cherry picking? It's exactly what you said: "A Pulock or Pokka may have to be traded".

I don't agree that anyone would have to be traded, but even if it came to that, the Islanders would look to move someone from that second group(specifically guys like Pedan and Donovan), not one of Pulock or Pokka.

Either way, plenty of spots.

NHL: Hamonic, de Haan, Hickey, Visnovsky, Reinhart, Strait, Donovan, Carkner (if a UFA is brought in, Strait is bumped out of the top-six, and Carkner is waived)

AHL: Pulock, Pokka, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech, Czuczman, plus either Finley or Carkner(if he clears) as the depth veteran. Ness, who is an RFA, is bounced out. If he's OK with playing in the ECHL, re-sign him. If not, let him walk.

By the time 2015-16 rolls around, at least one of Pulock/Pokka/Mayfield will be an NHL regular, maybe two of them, which will open up a spot or two for guys like Burroughs, Graham and Russo. I don't see how we will be forced to move anyone just for the sake of making room.

I stand corrected...yes, I don't want to see either of P&P traded before the others...

What I was angling at was that we have so many options on the farm and in the prospect pool now that one of P&P MAY be traded at the draft.

As dan-0 pointed out, guys like Ness and Donovan don't really hold much value.

So you may (sadly) see one of P&P move out for a vet d-man in a package of some sort.

Bottom line is there just ain't enough room...

Pokka-Pulock
Donovan-Mayfield
Ness-Pelech
C-man-Pedan
Burroughs-Graham

Going to need a vet down there too...

Logjam on the island too

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for the update, would you mind posting the link in here please when the update comes out, thanks a lot!!

I originally saw it mentioned in a video on the TSN main NHL page (links on the right side), and in that video McKenzie said it would be a top 12 list, but now here's a mention in a TSN article that says it's a top 10 list. I suspect he'll have 2 honorable mentions, or say it's a 3-way tie for 10th:

"During the 30-minute TSN original production, Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie will unveil his consensus Top 10 prospects and TSN's Director of Scouting Craig Button projects how the first 13 picks will unfold."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449396

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad