2014 NFL/NCAA Football Discussion Thread III: Oregon > FSU, tOSU > Bama

Status
Not open for further replies.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I would love to see Wade Phillips back in football. He's a defensive guru.

Giants fans are too stubborn to see how good of a DC he is, but he could turn around that defense.

Yeah, he is Rex Ryan-esque. Just knows what to do with a defense, but not so great on the offensive side.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ryan already has interviews for the HC vacancies in Atlanta and San Francisco. The only way this guy isn't back on the sidelines as an NFL coach within the next couple years is if he takes the ESPN gig (which he also interviewed for) and loves it too much. I could see him becoming a less-obnoxious but equally revered Lee Corso.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Ryan already has interviews for the HC vacancies in Atlanta and San Francisco. The only way this guy isn't back on the sidelines as an NFL coach within the next couple years is if he takes the ESPN gig (which he also interviewed for) and loves it too much. I could see him becoming a less-obnoxious but equally revered Lee Corso.

I think this might be his best shot. I really think the longer he goes without getting a job, the less likely he will. Like I said earlier, I think as time goes on his tenure here is will not be looked on as favorably as it is at this moment.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Don't know why but I see Rex landing in Oakland even though ATL and SF are much more attractive destinations.

NYRangerFan*

Woody Johnson is a complete idiot. Guy should just hire the new GM and then stay away from the team.

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
I could live with Maccagnan as GM and Kubiak as HC, especially if he brings Wade Phillips with him as DC. All these coaching candidates have their warts, but Kubiak is the only one with a strong offensive background and previous experience. It's been only rookie head coaches since Parcells, and I think that's an issue.

Quinn looks good on paper, like a good hybrid of Mangini-Rex personality wise, and I'd be okay with him. But he's another rookie coach, and he's only been a coordinator of a completely stacked defense for two years. Sherman, Chancellor, and Wagner aren't coming with him.

The rest of the list is very uninspiring and underwhelming.

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
Now you can throw Marrone's name into the mix.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104824/doug-marrone-opts-contract-buffalo-bills

Doug Marrone has opted out of his contract as coach of the Buffalo Bills and is now a free agent to pursue other jobs available in the NFL.

Bills sources believe Marrone could have particular interest in the Jets, where he once served as offensive line coach for four years. Sources say the Jets will have strong interest in Marrone.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I wouldn't be opposed to Marrone. He helped turn Cuse around and did good things in Buffalo.

Still though, seems like we ought to first find a GM and then let him hire the coach. Doesn't the GM job become less attractive if you take the coach hiring out of his hands? Like, you want that guy from Baltimore, you're gonna have to give him the power to make these kinds of moves. Just seems like we're backwards about it all, as usual.

BarbaraAlphanse

I wouldn't be opposed to Marrone. He helped turn Cuse around and did good things in Buffalo.

Still though, seems like we ought to first find a GM and then let him hire the coach. Doesn't the GM job become less attractive if you take the coach hiring out of his hands? Like, you want that guy from Baltimore, you're gonna have to give him the power to make these kinds of moves. Just seems like we're backwards about it all, as usual.

Seems like ultimately the decision for both will be from our two consultants. And seems like a choice for GM will come earlier than HC.

Wouldn't be opposed to Marone, Bowles, or Quinn.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I don't have anything to say. Mark Dantonio is possibly the greatest thing to ever happen to MSU football. He's winning here, Saban left because he didn't think he could do that. Down 41-21. They never quit. Never gave up. Four Straight Bowl Wins. (Georgia, TCU, Stanford, Baylor).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad