Prospect Info: 2014 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking: #4

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wow... Some serious drama queens here regarding Gauthier.

He scored like 15 -20 less points than he should have. Boo-****in' hoo. Yeah his career is definitely doomed because of that :rolleyes:

Not that, we are discussing the merits of him being voted the #3 prospect on the Leafs board when there is no justification for this, based on last season.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. William Nylander -- 93.26%
2. Matt Finn -- 37.14%
3. Frederik Gauthier - 32.97%
Tyler Biggs
Connor Brown
Chris Gibson
Josh Leivo
Andreas Johnson
Carter Verhaeghe
Brad Ross
Petter Granberg
Stuart Percy
Andrew MacWilliam
Sam Carrick
Antoine Bibeau
Rinat Valiev
Max Everson
Jamie Devane
Eric Knodel
Brandon Kozun
Victor Loov
Greg McKegg
Ryan Rupert
Kenny Ryan
Garret Sparks
Dominic Toninato
John Piccinich
Josh Dakota
Nolan Vesey
Pierre Engvall
Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3

Suggest who I should add next :)

It has to be Grannberg.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Not that, we are discussing the merits of him being voted the #3 prospect on the Leafs board when there is no justification for this, based on last season.

I have to agree with you on this, although I don't think people are basing their decision solely on his 13-14 season.

Once again, I voted Leivo due to his performance against men in a pro league.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Kadri put up 93 points after his draft year, Gauthier put up 52.

If you cant understand logic, you are totally lost

By your logic, the drop-off in point production at the next level for Kyle Wellwood is equal to the dropoff for Gauthier.
You're being foolish.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I don't say this often, but you have no idea what you're talking about if you think Gauthier and an abysmal year.

I understand you're purely judging a player based on his offensive output, and that's something to consider, but to say he had an abysmal year simply on that is just pure wrong. I've watched him play quite a bit this season and he was always a stand out even if he wasn't on the score sheet. The fact that he took close to 1850 faceoffs this season tells you a lot about how his team heavily relies on him for more then just points.

He definitely has to keep working on his offensive game, especially his shot but his high motor game, face off winning ability and work along the boards is just so damn great and it should only keep getting better as he gets stronger. Fans have to remember he's a late bloomer, even at the CHL level, so his overall game is very raw. Hopefully his offensive game does go to another level next season though.

His team had to trade for someone to take 2nd line duties because he couldnt cut it. He was used like mcclement

mikebel111*

It has to be Grannberg.

Lol he shouldn't be in the top 5 if you ask me.
Nylander
Finn
Gauthier
Leivo
Percy

That is my top 5
You ask any scout and person who watched the Marlies last season and they would say the exact opposite opposite what you said about Percy
So stop attacking me and saying typical leaf fan, rose coloured, accusing me that I dont watch games, and put something valid which is true
Turnover machine:laugh: isn't true
Or your really over rating Granberg. I agree he was better than Percy in the post season but that doesn't mean Percy was bad. Percy was one of the most reliable players on the Marlies. Fact

mikebel111*

His team had to trade for someone to take 2nd line duties because he couldnt cut it. He was used like mcclement

Ever heard of depth?
He had a decent season.
And point totals dont mean he was bad

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have to agree with you on this, although I don't think people are basing their decision solely on his 13-14 season.

Once again, I voted Leivo due to his performance against men in a pro league.

If the poll was based on projection, I wouldn't make Gauthier our 3rd best prospect either. A projected bottom 6 player. It's baffling to me, the only reason I can think of why he was chosen over better prospects is he was last years first rd pick. Still a shiny toy to some here.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
If the poll was based on projection, I wouldn't make Gauthier our 3rd best prospect either. A projected bottom 6 player. It's baffling to me, the only reason I can think of why he was chosen over better prospects is he was last years first rd pick. Still a shiny toy to some here.

Maybe people value him more because he plays center, which is a position of weakness for the leafs?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe people value him more because he plays center, which is a position of weakness for the leafs?

This team needs just as much help on Defence, and at fwd in the top 6 especially. Leivo, Percy, and Granberg are better prospects at this time of the poll. It's not even close really. This is why I rarely participate in these polls, they don't prove much.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
This team needs just as much help on Defence, and at fwd in the top 6 especially. Leivo, Percy, and Granberg are better prospects at this time of the poll. It's not even close really. This is why I rarely participate in these polls, they don't prove much.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying.

We have a lot of holes to plug and the choices people make in these polls might not reflect the current values of the players.

I was suggesting that the scarcity of quality C prospects behind Gauthier might drive up his value whereas the three players you mentioned have others waiting in the wings to take their spots when and if they are promoted.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Leivo.

1. William Nylander (8.5B)
  2. Matthew Finn (8.0B)
  3. Josh Leivo (7.5B)
  4. Stuart Percy (7.0B)
  5. Andreas Johnson (8.0C)
  6. Frederik Gauthier (7.0B)
  7. Tom Nilsson (7.0B)
  8. Petter Granberg (7.0B)
  9. Rinat Valiev (7.5C)