Prospect Info: 2014 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking: #10

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. William Nylander -- 93.26%
2. Matt Finn -- 37.14%
3. Frederik Gauthier - 32.97%
4. Josh Leivo -- 57.46%
5. Stuart Percy -- 52.63%
6. Connor Brown -- 43.90%
7. Petter Granberg -- 52.29%
8. Andreas Johnson -- 40.32%
9. Carter Verhaeghe -- 44.76%
Tyler Biggs
Victor Loov
Chris Gibson
Greg McKegg
Eric Knodel
Dominic Toninato
Brad Ross
Garret Sparks
Fabrice Herzog
Andrew MacWilliam
Sam Carrick
Antoine Bibeau
Rinat Valiev
Max Everson
Jamie Devane
Brandon Kozun
Ryan Rupert
Kenny Ryan
John Piccinich
Josh Dakota
Nolan Vesey
Pierre Engvall
Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9

Suggest who I should add next :)

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Did I miss something? Is there a reason lots of people are favouring Nilsson?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
In my opnion, Nilsson is (and will be) better than Granberg. Hits hard and plays more of a two-way game... not just a defensive defender. Very underrated.

He's been a long shot for a while now though, did some of our development guys speak about him recently or something? I'm just not sure if his potential to make the big club is there yet. He's still a pretty big work in progress it seems, does he deserve top 10?

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Carter Ashton deserves to be in the top 10 IMO. Some of these more obscure prospects might not make it whereas Ashton is more of a proven commodity at the AHL level. He also earned a spot with the big club with a strong training camp last year.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
He's been a long shot for a while now though, did some of our development guys speak about him recently or something? I'm just not sure if his potential to make the big club is there yet. He's still a pretty big work in progress it seems, does he deserve top 10?

This poll isn't 'who is going to make the big club?'... its 'who are our best prospects?'

To me, I evaluate and highly regard potential. I think Nilsson right now is better than Granberg when he first joined the Marlies. I see how Granberg progressed and have little reason to think that Nilsson won't progress similarly.

Do I think Nilsson will be on the big club right away? No.... but he has good potential to be a very good #3 defender IMO.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Ashton is alrdy an NHL player, this "should" be a landslide. Regardless of what "potential" the rest might have - it's a long shot vs Ashton.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
This poll isn't 'who is going to make the big club?'... its 'who are our best prospects?'

To me, I evaluate and highly regard potential. I think Nilsson right now is better than Granberg when he first joined the Marlies. I see how Granberg progressed and have little reason to think that Nilsson won't progress similarly.

Do I think Nilsson will be on the big club right away? No.... but he has good potential to be a very good #3 defender IMO.

They don't need to make the big club right away but my preference is trying to balance their potential and the likeliness for them reaching that potential. I was just curious because we haven't heard too much about Nilsson lately but he's been getting a bit of a following recently.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Ashton is alrdy an NHL player, this "should" be a landslide. Regardless of what "potential" the rest might have - it's a long shot vs Ashton.

Holland (64), Ashton (47), Leivo (7), Broll (5), Devane (2), McKegg (1), Granberg (1) then? Why vote when we can go by NHL games played? Nylander slides to 8th.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Holland (64), Ashton (47), Leivo (7), Broll (5), Devane (2), McKegg (1), Granberg (1) then? Why vote when we can go by NHL games played? Nylander slides to 8th.

Just need to strike a balance between potential and proven performance.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
When I see Ashton on callups or on the marlies, I dont quite see where he fits on the leafs roster.

Nilsson if his development continues has a skillset (speed, two way, high physicality) that will be useful in the bottom 4D on the leafs, I will be surprised in a similar way to Granberg if he doesn't at least get some significant bottom pairing nhl time.

To me that is more valuable than someone who is most likely just a 4th energy guy, not to say Ashton couldn't turn that around, hes 23 (I still prefer Nilsson who is 20 and already exhibiting a strong skillset).

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

Holland isn't deemed a prospect. And we're not talking about "who has played a game in the nhl" more, "who can play consistently". Potential should partly determine ability to be an NHL regular -which Ashton basically already is.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
MacWilliam. People seem to either underrate or forget about him, and I have no clue why. He is real solid, close to NHL ready.

snizzbone*

Why is Nilsson getting so more move love than Loov? Figured Loov was the better prospect based on what I've read here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad