GDT: 2014 Jim Nill Free Agency Summer Bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Daniel Friedman ‏@DFriedmanOnNYI

Staple: Isles were in on David Legwand, hasn't made a decision yet.

That's why the Legwand boat could be a total bust. He's probably got money and term from these guys. Others have already walked away from them though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Here's Bruce's take on what Nill is looking for:

Bruce LeVine ‏@BruceLeVinePuck

@FishpawWriting I think Nill is looking for a wing. BUT...would love to see him back

He mentioned Fiddler, and I asked if he was potentially the type of player Nill was still looking for.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Asked him about fear of blocking players ...

Bruce LeVine ‏@BruceLeVinePuck

@FishpawWriting development is great, winning is better. Stars ready to win now. Best team on ice is priority

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Thank you.

How was he used on the PP in Edmonton?

No problem. I'm happy to answer any more specific questions you have.

His use on the PP in Edmonton should be broken into pre-rebuild and post-rebuild days. Post-rebuild, the PP started to be formed more around Hall, Eberle, Nuge, etc., which makes sense. In that scenario, Hemsky was bumped to the 2nd unit and really fell off. Not due to lack of ability, but just because the Oilers started to pursue a different route. Nuge became the main puck handler, Eberle took Hemsky's spot on the LW boards, and the focus became more on the younger players.

Pre-rebuild, he was the main driver on our first unit. He set up on the LW boards and was the main distributor of the puck. Usually, there'd be someone in front of the net, specifically Smyth or Penner, and there'd be someone on the RW boards that would sneak down back-door and try to open up the cross-ice pass. Oddly enough, that guy was usually Horcoff, although he was also famous for whiffing on Hemsky's passes. The guy can really thread the needle through PKers. The left defender would stay open for a pass from Hemsky in case things went south, and the right defender was usually a left shot also trying to get open for a one-timer. During our 2006 run, we also ran an umbrella with Hemsky still at the LW and Pronger at the top as the left shot looking for a one-timer. In essence though, the PP revolved around Hemsky maintaining possession, one player screening the goalie, and the other players looking to open themselves up for a pass, either as puck support or to look for a shot.

He'd also periodically peel off the boards and shoot it himself. He scored quite a few goals that way, and his shot was good enough that defenders usually backed off of him once he had solid possession, which opened up passing lanes a lot more. Hemsky was also generally the guy to carry the puck over the blue line with possession, something that he's really good at with his hands and speed. Really good at.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Someone said this yesterday ... but we do need some better questions thrown at Nill sometimes.

I get winning has become priority number 1 ... actually love that. If that's the case though ... wouldn't you think an extra defender to require those 4 in the AHL to force their way on the roster would also apply?

Not questioning the philosophy, but I'd love to hear Nill's answer.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Seguin often set up on LW wall for Dallas. I wonder if he kicks back to the point to load up the PP with Benn, Hemsky, Seguin, and Spezza.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
No problem. I'm happy to answer any more specific questions you have.

His use on the PP in Edmonton should be broken into pre-rebuild and post-rebuild days. Post-rebuild, the PP started to be formed more around Hall, Eberle, Nuge, etc., which makes sense. In that scenario, Hemsky was bumped to the 2nd unit and really fell off. Not due to lack of ability, but just because the Oilers started to pursue a different route. Nuge became the main puck handler, Eberle took Hemsky's spot on the LW boards, and the focus became more on the younger players.

Pre-rebuild, he was the main driver on our first unit. He set up on the LW boards and was the main distributor of the puck. Usually, there'd be someone in front of the net, specifically Smyth or Penner, and there'd be someone on the RW boards that would sneak down back-door and try to open up the cross-ice pass. Oddly enough, that guy was usually Horcoff, although he was also famous for whiffing on Hemsky's passes. The guy can really thread the needle through PKers. The left defender would stay open for a pass from Hemsky in case things went south, and the right defender was usually a left shot also trying to get open for a one-timer. During our 2006 run, we also ran an umbrella with Hemsky still at the LW and Pronger at the top as the left shot looking for a one-timer. In essence though, the PP revolved around Hemsky maintaining possession, one player screening the goalie, and the other players looking to open themselves up for a pass, either as puck support or to look for a shot.

He'd also periodically peel off the boards and shoot it himself. He scored quite a few goals that way, and his shot was good enough that defenders usually backed off of him once he had solid possession, which opened up passing lanes a lot more. Hemsky was also generally the guy to carry the puck over the blue line with possession, something that he's really good at with his hands and speed. Really good at.

Even strength, did Hemsky play more on the RW or the LW?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

I don't want to step on his toes, but I'll jump in and say Hemsky told the media during the conference call he played RW for 12 years.

He said he was open to playing wherever the coach asks him, but the impression I got was he prefers RW.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Seguin often set up on LW wall for Dallas. I wonder if he kicks back to the point to load up the PP with Benn, Hemsky, Seguin, and Spezza.

Yeah, I do wonder about that. I don't know much about Spezza, but based on his skillset, you'd think that he'd like that LW wall as well. It will be interesting to see how Dallas runs the PP this year. That LW wall was far and away Hemsky's most effective spot in Edmonton, so I wonder what they'll do. Maybe give him free reign on the second unit? He would look awfully good with Benn though. I guess we'll see.

He played almost exclusively RW and was much more effective there. He did play LW on a line with Jagr in the Olympics once, so he's done it in the past. Once in the offensive zone, Hemsky kind of goes all over, wrapping around behind the net, skating to open ice. He can take a while to get used to playing with in that regard. In the neutral and defensive zones though, he usually sticks to the RW, although on zone entries he is also known to cut to the middle a bit. Definitely a bit of a free wheeler, but he puts it to good use.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I don't want to step on his toes, but I'll jump in and say Hemsky told the media during the conference call he played RW for 12 years.

He said he was open to playing wherever the coach asks him, but the impression I got was he prefers RW.

Haha no worries, no toe stepping here. I just know how useful it can be to pick another fan's brain when it comes to new additions. Hemsky is one of my all-time favorites, so I'm happy to answer anything.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Yeah. I hadn't listened to the Hemsky audio until after asking about his position.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Yeah, I do wonder about that. I don't know much about Spezza, but based on his skillset, you'd think that he'd like that LW wall as well. It will be interesting to see how Dallas runs the PP this year. That LW wall was far and away Hemsky's most effective spot in Edmonton, so I wonder what they'll do. Maybe give him free reign on the second unit? He would look awfully good with Benn though. I guess we'll see.

He played almost exclusively RW and was much more effective there. He did play LW on a line with Jagr in the Olympics once, so he's done it in the past. Once in the offensive zone, Hemsky kind of goes all over, wrapping around behind the net, skating to open ice. He can take a while to get used to playing with in that regard. In the neutral and defensive zones though, he usually sticks to the RW, although on zone entries he is also known to cut to the middle a bit. Definitely a bit of a free wheeler, but he puts it to good use.

Thanks. I was always impressed with him. I hope he still has a few prime years left for us. He's quite a sight to see when he's on his game.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I would like for Sceviour to be a net front guy. I think Jamie could do it, but he's better served on the right boards.

I also think Roussel could be an effective net front guy, but there's too many people in front of him.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Someone said this yesterday ... but we do need some better questions thrown at Nill sometimes.

I get winning has become priority number 1 ... actually love that. If that's the case though ... wouldn't you think an extra defender to require those 4 in the AHL to force their way on the roster would also apply?

Not questioning the philosophy, but I'd love to hear Nill's answer.

That was me, and yes we definitely need that. Nobody wants to ask him even the semi-tough questions.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

I'm hearing Stars are talking to Vernon Fiddler again.

Que signing announcement in several minutes to a couple hours.

He nailed Lindback and Hemsky yesterday so I guess we'll see.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also this ....

Brandon Worley ‏@brandonworley

Expecting to hear about the Stars signing a forward, and I'm going to be very interested in the fan response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad