GDT: 2014 Jim Nill Free Agency Summer Bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

PezRadar

Peverley #1 Fan!
Jan 20, 2008
Dallas Texas
Heatley's production has just hit a huge slide as of late. He just won't produce numbers that would be great for a 2nd line ever again I think.

Legwand would be ace. He would be affordable and produces well. In fact, every time we faced Nashville, it felt like Legwand scored :X Drove me up a wall.

I want that. I want that on the Stars. Totally forgot he was available!

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
What 2nd line winger options are out there still besides Vrbata?

Here are some of the names that jumped out to me…

-Did Setoguchi sign anywhere? He was always a Stars killer.
-Matt D'Agostini from Buffalo had some good years in him, but he's a RW
-T. J. Galiardi could offer some grit and is still relatively young
- Ryan Jones
-Dany Heatley
- Ryan Malone, if you're not scared off by extracurriculars
-David Booth

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Fun list of potential wingers (any line #)

Vrbata
Alfredsson
Heatley
Booth
Leino
Setoguchi
Malone
Kulemin
Downie
Stempniak
Penner
Winnik

have fun here

I'd sign Leino to a multi-year contract. He's due for a crapload of goals after last season. :sarcasm:

Setoguchi, Kulemin, or Winnik would be interesting options.

PezRadar

Peverley #1 Fan!
Jan 20, 2008
Dallas Texas
I find it funny how our for sure top 5 of 6 were all fairly consistent in the below.. until...

Tyler Seguin - Drafted 2nd overall
Jason Spezza - Drafted 2nd overall
Val Nichushkin - Drafted 10th overall
Ales Hemsky - Drafted 13th overall
*record scratch*
Jamie Benn - Drafted 129th overall

:laugh:

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Isn't Sceviour a right shot? He won't be on that line. If Ryan Malone didn't love nose candy like Mister Behaviorial Issues Ribeiro, then I'd probably say he would be a good fit.

Heatley is too slow.
Setoguchi is a RW.
Leino... jesus no.
Booth? Probably not.
Chubs? Bleh.

It would be much easier to just put Nichushkin with Spezza and Hemsky and take advantage of his talent level and then put someone like ... SCOTT GLENNIE on that first line wing.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Isn't Sceviour a right shot? He won't be on that line. If Ryan Malone didn't love nose candy like Mister Behaviorial Issues Ribeiro, then I'd probably say he would be a good fit.

Heatley is too slow.
Setoguchi is a RW.
Leino... jesus no.
Booth? Probably not.
Chubs? Bleh.

It would be much easier to just put Nichushkin with Spezza and Hemsky and take advantage of his talent level and then put someone like ... SCOTT GLENNIE on that first line wing.

Thats not a horrible idea, he's got a good shot and the wheels to keep up with them, and his best days in junior were when playing with really good linemates, might be worth a look.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Though ideally you find someone like Michalek to play on that 2nd line with them.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Legwand, Setoguchi, Winnik, those are the only others I particularly want to sign.

Woof. I was all for signing Legwand before we got Spezza but now there just isn't a spot for him. The others are simply guys who block prospects who will likely be better than them within 18 months.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Woof. I was all for signing Legwand before we got Spezza but now there just isn't a spot for him. The others are simply guys who block prospects who will likely be better than them within 18 months.

Thats more a if Nill is dead set on signing another forward list. I think signing Legwand to a one or two year contract wouldn't be too bad. Have him center the 4th line replacing Horcoff or Cole. Should give you four lines with some really good speed. Personally I want to see Sceviour, Ritchie, and Glennie given chances. But if Nill really is planning on signing another forward, Legwand would be the one I would want most out of what's left out there. He would be a nice guy to have around if Spezza Seguin or Eakin get hurt, and if Peverley can't play. Then again who knows what he's really planning.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Can we play our kids with them? We got these bright shiny pieces but if we want to afford Spezza and stay to a reasonable budget so maybe we can upgrade our defense in the future let's play Sceviour, Glennie, Ritchie, and McKenzie and see where they take us. None of them have to carry the offense and getting an opportunity to play with either of our superstar duo's would probably do wonders for their games anyway.

ugrakarma

>/dev/null
Jan 28, 2006
boonies, Finland
I'd sign Leino to a multi-year contract. He's due for a crapload of goals after last season. :sarcasm:

Setoguchi, Kulemin, or Winnik would be interesting options.

Finding long enough pole to touch Leino would be interesting. I doubt he gets another shot unless he takes peanuts. Hard to imagine him being money for Flyers.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

That's potentially true of every 3rd or 4th line option, but you either take Nill at his word he's still trying to add one or you don't.

I tend to believe he's pretty true to what he's saying.

You can't sign or add anyone else likely without moving one of the big vets. Dallas is likely at the cap regardless when you consider RFAs and ELC bonuses. Knowing that Dallas potentially wants another depth player, and knowing that they're not going to leave themselves with little to no cap space ... a trade is all but certain of on of the big money veterans. If you have faith in the DBD ... which believe I'm not saying they're as reliable a source as Nill flat out saying he wants another depth guy ... they seem to believe Dallas is already working hard to make that trade happen.

As for blocking someone, a 1 or 2 year contract at depth center isn't blocking anyone. We already know they wanted Fiddler back ... it's pretty reasonable to assume that was 1 or 2 years. He was obviously and likely looking for more.

Fids is likely still high on their list, and it's looking likely he missed out on a big term deal. Still ... I don't know why you'd want to settle for Fids when you could easily get an upgraded version in Legwand. There's at least a reasonable chance he'd take a 1 year deal. Unless he potentially takes a big money deal from say the Islanders ... I'd say he's probably missed out on a big term contract as well. It's not impossible though ... just think it's unlikely. At 33 years old, he could do a 1 year deal and try one last time next year.

If you're going to try and add 1 more player ... you might as well add something that could have a pretty significant impact on your team. There's no question in my mind that a two-way center with 40+ point upside is a huge luxury ... and you might just have the shot of adding him below value.

If you don't .. he's still able to get big money or term ... Fids is a more than adequate fallback and still upgrade over Horcoff.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The question was about free agency ... but it's entirely possible he could go the trade route.

I just hope this isn't about them reading the writing on the wall about Peverley and more about his desire for depth.

Honestly though ... it could be they just don't feel confident about Peverley moving forward which would be awful. You can tell Pevs really wants to come back every time he's talked about the process.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Oilers fan here. Just wanted to stop by and give you guys a bit more information about what you can expect from Hemsky. In short, I think it's a wonderful signing.

Hemsky has taken a lot of flak on these boards over the years. Completely unwarranted in my opinion. He is one of the most dynamic offensive forwards in the game, and I mean that. He can be inconsistent at times, but when he's on, he can take over the game like the best of them. For many years, the only reason to watch the Oilers was the possibility that Hemsky would pull off another one of those miraculous shifts, streaking down the RW, deking two defenders, and scoring an amazing goal. He is extremely good at passing the puck, sometimes holding onto it too long looking for the perfect play, but his ability to find open teammates and hit them with a flat pass is top notch. On the PP, he likes to set up on the left half boards, and from there, he can drive a unit by himself. He has a great shot too, quick release and hard, but he doesn't always use it to its potential, and his slapshot is underwhelming. Still, his shot is good enough that defenders need to respect it, which opens up space for his passing.

Brilliant skating, extremely quick and agile. Not quite Taylor Hall speed, but close. He also has that "Patrick Kane" ability to handle the puck at top speed, which is crucial. Perhaps most importantly to his game, and sometimes to his detriment with injuries, is that he's absolutely fearless. Horcoff once remarked that Hemsky went places on the ice that he wouldn't dream of going. No fear in him, and he'll run right into the corner whether it's Robyn Regehr defending him or not. I have no idea how he got the "soft" label on HF; it's entirely unwarranted.

I know that this is starting to sound like I'm trying to sell you a bridge, but it's all true. Hemsky is a wonderful player, and the fact that you got him for that long at that cheap is something to be celebrated. One of the best free agent signings of the day IMO. He's also a pretty good two-way player. He was used in a power-versus-power role in Edmonton for many years and came out on top. An excellent player, and I hope him all the best in Dallas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oilers fan here. Just wanted to stop by and give you guys a bit more information about what you can expect from Hemsky. In short, I think it's a wonderful signing.

Hemsky has taken a lot of flak on these boards over the years. Completely unwarranted in my opinion. He is one of the most dynamic offensive forwards in the game, and I mean that. He can be inconsistent at times, but when he's on, he can take over the game like the best of them. For many years, the only reason to watch the Oilers was the possibility that Hemsky would pull off another one of those miraculous shifts, streaking down the RW, deking two defenders, and scoring an amazing goal. He is extremely good at passing the puck, sometimes holding onto it too long looking for the perfect play, but his ability to find open teammates and hit them with a flat pass is top notch. On the PP, he likes to set up on the left half boards, and from there, he can drive a unit by himself. He has a great shot too, quick release and hard, but he doesn't always use it to its potential, and his slapshot is underwhelming. Still, his shot is good enough that defenders need to respect it, which opens up space for his passing.

Brilliant skating, extremely quick and agile. Not quite Taylor Hall speed, but close. He also has that "Patrick Kane" ability to handle the puck at top speed, which is crucial. Perhaps most importantly to his game, and sometimes to his detriment with injuries, is that he's absolutely fearless. Horcoff once remarked that Hemsky went places on the ice that he wouldn't dream of going. No fear in him, and he'll run right into the corner whether it's Robyn Regehr defending him or not. I have no idea how he got the "soft" label on HF; it's entirely unwarranted.

I know that this is starting to sound like I'm trying to sell you a bridge, but it's all true. Hemsky is a wonderful player, and the fact that you got him for that long at that cheap is something to be celebrated. One of the best free agent signings of the day IMO. He's also a pretty good two-way player. He was used in a power-versus-power role in Edmonton for many years and came out on top. An excellent player, and I hope him all the best in Dallas.

Thank you.

How was he used on the PP in Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad