GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy Part II

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Garbo was that good for Toronto that they bought him up after 1 year...

Those two contracts are the bottom feeders type. Just like Bolland, Pouliot and many signings we saw yesterday.

With all the top teams retaining their core and the basements team looking to improve and spend money to reach the floor with a more and more thin UFA class, what we see right now will become the norm.

The best team will try to get bargains to fill out the roster and for depth and the crappy teams will be in buying war for not so good players for too much time at too much.

What did the 3 bests teams do yesterday (Chi-LA-Bos)? Nothing. Besides that bought out old Richards... Meanwhile, bottom feeders.

Stl improved getting Stastny but at what price? Who will they have to let go because of it? Dallas and Anaheim also improved but that was on the trade front.

The UFA will more and more be the crap team market. Unless some of these players accept less term and money to,play for a top contender like Iginla did last year...

ANA got Kesler...LA locked Gaborik up...CHI got Richards..STL Statsny but lost Miller, even tho overpaid..they all did more than us..**** we haven't even resigned any of our guys yet.

The trade front is the better option, especially for us...FA market is never the best option and way to go. Signing Savard/Chara gave us the chance but how often does stuff like that happen.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Oversimplification there...The guy is a solid NHLer....sure he may not be tough or be a defensive stud, but the guy is a good point producer. The year he got bought out was due to his feud with his former coach...Ron "the genius" Wilson. Wilson was playing him on the 4th with some plugs. Hard to produce when your line mates are Fraser Mclaren and "insert name here".

I know one thing is that Grabo was a constant thorn in side of the Bruins. His speed was quite hard for our team to fully contain.

Ok then: Would you take him on the Bruins at that salary? Would any other top Cup contender (all western teams...) want him at that salary? Garbo is a guy you would commit for 4y/20M?

At this price, only bottom feeders will be interested.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
Ok then: Would you take him on the Bruins at that salary? Would any other top Cup contender (all western teams...) want him at that salary? Garbo is a guy you would commit for 4y/20M?

At this price, only bottom feeders will be interested.

I would not....but he would not really fit our style of play. That is not to say that a winning team would not sign him to a contract...maybe not that contract. But then we must remember that the Iles have to meet the salary cap floor requirements. I honestly think that was the main reason that he, Kulemin and Engelland got the contracts that they did.

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Well, Eriksson. But, question remains if Smith is "legit." Can he consistently contribute at this past season's level. I think he can. He better!

Eriksson can play RW, but his natural spot is LW, I hope PC has some sort of player in Bangladesh that is the next Patrick Kane or else we could be out of playoffs real quick.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Well, Eriksson. But, question remains if Smith is "legit." Can he consistently contribute at this past season's level. I think he can. He better!

Eriksson is not legit. Third liner nothing more.

On another note, the Sharks are following Chiarelli's speed and finesse nonsense, they just signed John Scott. Yup the heavyweight is all but gone from the game, oh wait, I guess not, but don't worry Bruins fans Ryan Spooner will skate circles around those fourth line goons.:shakehead

Right up until he has to stand up for himself.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Sharks front office clearly knows how to build a winner.

Great example.

Oh, well, in fairness, where did he play before?

That's right, that Buffalo juggernaut.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

On another note, the Sharks are following Chiarelli's speed and finesse nonsense, they just signed John Scott. Yup the heavyweight is all but gone from the game, oh wait, I guess not, but don't worry Bruins fans Ryan Spooner will skate circles around those fourth line goons.:shakehead

I love this time of year

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

What are you even saying? Why should we care about John Scott and why would our smallest (who's probably going to be in Providence) player have to stand up for himself? Thornton shouldn't even fight Scott.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado

Did you really just make a comparison saying the Sharks got better by signing John Scott and the Bruins worse with Eriksson on our first line?

Jesus Christ, keep spewing garbage.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
With the new playoff format we saw last year, it seemed to me that it doesn't really matter where you finish as long as you can qualify for the P.O.'S. which I am confident that the B's can do.

I'm O.K. with starting the season as we are. There are many questions that need to be answered and we can do that until trade deadline, at which point we can assess what we have and aquire what we need, make the trades we need to and go into the playoffs with the necessary upgrades.

At somepoint we need to get our books in order, this looks like the right time to get around to it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Who is more likely to find work, Thomas or Brodeur?

That's a good question.

I'll go with Marty based on name factor. He seems willing to accept a back-up role and isn't bat**** crazy too.

All the teams that needed to fix their goaltending holes pretty much did except for Winnipeg. But they seem to believe Pavelec isn't complete trash.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Interesting. Offer for Bobby Ryan. Would you?

To Ottawa:
Loui Eriksson
Chris Kelly
Ryan Spooner
2nd

For

To Boston:
Bobby Ryan

Who knows...maybe we'll have enough cash in the bank to sign Ryan big in the offseason. If so, I do this deal all day. Tough to swallow if he's a one year rental.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
No way i roll the dice unless i have Ryan's word he'll re-sign.

I don't even know hes worth it honestly. Guy could be good for 40, but he seems to not care on some nights and despite Americans getting all rustled over it during the olympics, he is fairly soft for a player of his size. Strikes me as a rich man's Blake Wheeler. Not sure i want a part of that.

Probably wouldn't even be available until the deadline anyway, if at all.

David Krejci*

Interesting. Offer for Bobby Ryan. Would you?

To Ottawa:
Loui Eriksson
Chris Kelly
Ryan Spooner
2nd

For

To Boston:
Bobby Ryan

Who knows...maybe we'll have enough cash in the bank to sign Ryan big in the offseason. If so, I do this deal all day. Tough to swallow if he's a one year rental.

I noticed you amended your original proposal with Boychuk. I would do this if it was guaranteed we could sign Ryan. I've always felt that the Seguin trade should've been Seguin for Ryan 1 for 1 straight up in the first place. I was disappointed when they were shopping Seguin and before the Seguin trade happened, Ryan got traded to Ottawa because then I knew we weren't going to get him.

I don't think the Bruins want to do this trade right now. At the deadline, they will want to trade for Ryan. But they want to go into the season with Eriksson on line 1, see what they have in Spooner if he can play wing, then pay less for Ryan at the deadline. The Senators wouldn't command or be in a position to ask for a player like Eriksson in exchange for a rental.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Eriksson can play RW, but his natural spot is LW, I hope PC has some sort of player in Bangladesh that is the next Patrick Kane or else we could be out of playoffs real quick.

almost certain he played mostly right wing in Dallas and prefers it as mentioned here

Like many of the players on the Bruins, Eriksson is versatile. He's a left-handed shot but prefers to play the right side.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/9670698/loui-eriksson-looks-good-fit-boston-bruins

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Well now they've gotta be the Cup favorites, right?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

You could have so many great things to say, but when you preface it with saying Eriksson is no more than a third liner you should know that immediately you've lost all credibility, and won't be taken seriously. If Loui is no more than a third liner then he's fooled the world, save for you of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad