Prospect Info: 2014 Flyers prospect ranking: #12

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I pick Friedman over Lindblom, but I don't see how or why draft position matters.

In fact, I think most draft publications (that I've read) had Lindblom over Friedman. Just because the Flyers didn't doesn't conclusively prove one prospect over the other at all. The other 29 teams could have had Lindblom ranked over Friedman for all we know. In fact, I'd say it's likely that most teams did.

EDIT: I agree, development camp should in no way alter anyone's opinion of these players.

You can't say that. Lindblom has been in the spotlight the past 2+. He's played in one of the most scouted junior leagues in the world-on one of the best teams. He's played in every major international tournament sans the U20s. Every team in the league had evaluations on him. Still 137 picks went by before he was selected.

Publications mean squat. A couple years ago, the Flyers took the 148th ranked player in NA over the 16th ranked player in Europe according to central scouting. Let's just say the Flyers were right on that one. This year Friedman was ranked 124th in NA and Lindblom was ranked 23rd (behnd 4 undrafted players and some other late rounders).

Again that's not to say Lindblom can't become a better player, but if we are all being honest with ourselves, we haven't seen enough of either player to say that Lindblom is a better prospect at this point. I'll trust the people who have actually seen these guys play for now until I can make a legitimate assessment of both players.

Something to consider. Friedman was the second highest scoring defenseman, regular and postseason, in the USHL last year behind his teammate, Brandon Montour, a second round pick of the Ducks this season. Montour is also almost two years older. If you have time take a look at some of the past USHL numbers and Friedman is right up there with some of the best- especially when you consider his age to the level. His profile keeps going back to Torey Krug for me.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
You can't say that. Lindblom has been in the spotlight the past 2+. He's played in one of the most scouted junior leagues in the world-on one of the best teams. He's played in every major international tournament sans the U20s. Every team in the league had evaluations on him. Still 137 picks went by before he was selected.

Publications mean squat. A couple years ago, the Flyers took the 148th ranked player in NA over the 16th ranked player in Europe according to central scouting. Let's just say the Flyers were right on that one. This year Friedman was ranked 124th in NA and Lindblom was ranked 23rd (behnd 4 undrafted players and some other late rounders).

Again that's not to say Lindblom can't become a better player, but if we are all being honest with ourselves, we haven't seen enough of either player to say that Lindblom is a better prospect at this point. I'll trust the people who have actually seen these guys play for now until I can make a legitimate assessment of both players.

Something to consider. Friedman was the second highest scoring defenseman, regular and postseason, in the USHL last year behind his teammate, Brandon Montour, a second round pick of the Ducks this season. Montour is also almost two years older. If you have time take a look at some of the past USHL numbers and Friedman is right up there with some of the best- especially when you consider his age to the level. His profile keeps going back to Torey Krug for me.

Again, I agree with you. I picked Friedman. I've said repeatedly that I think it was a terrific selection (one of my favorite Flyers picks ever, tbh). But arguing that it is conclusive ONLY because of draft position isn't sound reasoning.

All draft position tells us is that the Flyers like him more. Like I said, for all we know, the Flyers were the only team to have Friedman ahead of Lindblom. You don't know whether that's true or not.

Additionally, Craig Button had Lindblom at 74 (ahead of NAK, too!) with Friedman outside the top 100. I'm not using that to argue that Lindblom is better, but it just shows that draft position doesn't prove anything other than the Flyers internal ranking had OL above MF.

It's not dumb at all for people to be picking Lindblom here. I'm sure plenty of very reputable people would also hold that opinion...

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Again, I agree with you. I picked Friedman. I've said repeatedly that I think it was a terrific selection (one of my favorite Flyers picks ever, tbh). But arguing that it is conclusive ONLY because of draft position isn't sound reasoning.

All draft position tells us is that the Flyers like him more. Like I said, for all we know, the Flyers were the only team to have Friedman ahead of Lindblom. You don't know whether that's true or not.

Additionally, Craig Button had Lindblom at 74 (ahead of NAK, too!) with Friedman outside the top 100. I'm not using that to argue that Lindblom is better, but it just shows that draft position doesn't prove anything other than the Flyers internal ranking had OL above MF.

It's not dumb at all for people to be picking Lindblom here. I'm sure plenty of very reputable people would also hold that opinion...

Isn't that all that matters?

People can like whoever they want. These polls don't change my opinion. I just haven't seen any real good reasoning for this vote to be 2:1 in favor of Lindblom. Like someone else said Lindblom is the bigger name so people are going to assume he must be better without seeing either player play. And people will never admit this, but European players get way more credit than they sometimes deserve around here. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Flyers are starting to take Euros, but the Ristolainen hype, for example, was out of control last year.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
People can like whoever they want. These polls don't change my opinion. I just haven't seen any real good reasoning for this vote to be 2:1 in favor of Lindblom. Like someone else said Lindblom is the bigger name so people are going to assume he must be better without seeing either player play. And people will never admit this, but European players get way more credit than they sometimes deserve around here. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Flyers are starting to take Euros, but the Ristolainen hype was out of control last year.
Totally agree 100%. People (myself included) tend to have a lot more hope for Euro prospects because of the "mystery box". That being said, there are legitimate reasons to have hope with Lindblom. He possesses a very intriguing skill set.

Isn't that all that matters?
In regard to this poll? Not really. What matters here is your personal preference. Citing the Flyers personal preference to justify your personal preference just seems a little thin to me, and I happen to share your preference.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Totally agree 100%. People (myself included) tend to have a lot more hope for Euro prospects because of the "mystery box". That being said, there are legitimate reasons to have hope with Lindblom. He possesses a very intriguing skill set.

In regard to this poll? Not really. What matters here is your personal preference. Citing the Flyers personal preference to justify your personal preference just seems a little thin to me, and I happen to share your preference.

The ironic part is Friedman is just as much of a mystery if not more. I guess Europeans seem more exotic. :laugh:

I'm not going to convince anyone Friedman is better, but I just wish people would use a little more perspective when doing these polls.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really wish there were some highlights of Friedman, Lindblom, or NAK... couldn't find anything other than a Lindblom assist.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I really wish there were some highlights of Friedman, Lindblom, or NAK... couldn't find anything other than a Lindblom assist.

Nylander's u18 WC video features almost all of Lindblom's points.

OL is #23:

Not much to see, but it's something. Also, Nylander seems like a really difficult player to play alongside. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad