Prospect Info: 2014 Flyers prospect ranking: #12

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
1. Samuel Morin - 39.34%
2. Scott Laughton - 39.25% (winning by 1 vote)
3. Shayne Gostisbehere - 64.55%
4. Travis Sanheim - 83.64%
5. Robert Hagg - 79.81%
6. Anthony Stolarz - 66.27%
7. Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 55.43%
8. Jason Akeson - 31.00%
9. Taylor Leier - 50.72%
10. Mark Alt - 68.84%
11. Nick Cousins - 39.77%
12. ????

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
i dont think goulbourne is the best player but i do think he has the best shot to play in the nhl of the this list of players.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
I'm curious about what has happened between the draft and now that everybody likes Lindblom so much more than a guy drafted 52 spots ahead of him?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm curious about what has happened between the draft and now that everybody likes Lindblom so much more than a guy drafted 52 spots ahead of him?

Some beat writers wrote articles about him being a great value pick for the 5th round. So now he is the flavor of the month. Freidman should be getting these votes.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Some beat writers wrote articles about him being a great value pick for the 5th round. So now he is the flavor of the month. Freidman should be getting these votes.

Because he was drafted higher? If we were voting like people did for Cousins, Straka should be getting votes than.

I voted Lindbolm because of his potential. That and how, even if it was development camp, he was one of the best forwards there. If he sucks next season he wont even be on the list.

Maybe Reece Willcox should start getting votes. He has had a very good college career so far and looked good at development camp (well one guy said he didnt but the others did). He has also proven more so far than Friedman or Lindbolm.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011

Just because a guy gets selected before another guy doesn't make him the best prospect in everyone's eyes because people (fans and scouts alike) base player evaluations on different criteria. For example, some people don't even view Akeson as a prospect, yet others do.

To me, Lindblom has a skill set (NHL size, goal scoring ability) that more readily translates to the next level. Friedman by all accounts is tremendously talented, yet is smaller and is going to a substandard NCAA program. Just because Ghost appears to be working out so far doesn't automatically mean that Friedman will or won't. Statistically, the deck is stacked against him because of the physical limitations.

Alternatively, Lindblom is the youngest Flyers prospect at 17, yet has as much or more exposure (U-17s gold medal/leading scorer, SuperElit experience in Brynas)

Finally, Friedman goes the NCAA route with all of its associated risks for a team (see Kevin Hayes), while Lindblom as a European offers the team even longer control.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I will always be there to vote for Parks.

Despite what some people say, Parks is actually a decent prospect. He had a big injury in his sophomore season which halted his development, but he played pretty good this year and I expect him to earn a contract next year. Although his upside isn't high he could be an NHL play one day, which is why I have him inside my top 20.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Because he was drafted higher? If we were voting like people did for Cousins, Straka should be getting votes than.

I voted Lindbolm because of his potential. That and how, even if it was development camp, he was one of the best forwards there. If he sucks next season he wont even be on the list.

Maybe Reece Willcox should start getting votes. He has had a very good college career so far and looked good at development camp (well one guy said he didnt but the others did). He has also proven more so far than Friedman or Lindbolm.

No, not just because he was drafted higher. Although that has a lot to do with it. As for Straka and Cousins, that isn't fair. Straka was a 2nd rounder in 2010 and not even offered a contract by CBJ. Obviously his stock has dropped.

Cousins was also a 3rd and had a lot of success in the OHL. He had a bumpy year in the AHL, but finished decently at the end. I picked Freidman over Cousins just because I don't see a clear role for Cousins in the NHL. It's going to be tough for him.

Freidman is a right handed defenseman, which is a need. Plus, he has plenty of skill and time left to develop. If you wanted to vote for Willcox instead, who is also a RHD and has had success in college, I wouldn't argue with that pick at all. He doesn't have Freidman's offense, but he is much bigger.

The Lindblom love just seems weird to me. He had a bad year and fell to the 5th in a weakish draft, yet people want to rate him over a 3rd rounder with skill. Him supposedly looking good at development camp does nothing for me. Looking good doing drills in July shouldn't override a guy taken way higher.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Finally, Friedman goes the NCAA route with all of its associated risks for a team (see Kevin Hayes), while Lindblom as a European offers the team even longer control.

That scenario happens about once a year. It should not be a big factor at all. We hold his rights for the next 4 years. That is plenty of time to make a decision on him.

To me, Lindblom has a skill set (NHL size, goal scoring ability) that more readily translates to the next level. Friedman by all accounts is tremendously talented, yet is smaller and is going to a substandard NCAA program. Just because Ghost appears to be working out so far doesn't automatically mean that Friedman will or won't. Statistically, the deck is stacked against him because of the physical limitations.

Obviously, at this point in the poll, the deck is stacked against all of these guys we are voting on, Lindblom included. No one seriously expects Freidman to become Ghost. That isn't realistic.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Nylander, Fiala, Rantanen, Vrana and Holmstrom were the only players with more than 7GP at u18 international level who had more PPG than Lindblom this year.

Nylander, Rantanen, Fiala and Vrana... 3 of them were top 13 in the draft and Rantanen will likely top 15-20 next year.

Holmstrom was a late round pick by Detroit from Sweden so will be a HOFer. :laugh:

Last year Lindblom had the 2nd most PPG of any u17 international player after Kempe, a 1st round pick. He was also Swedens u17 captain.

Two years ago he had the 2nd most PPG of any u16 international player after Mäkitalo... who will likely be taken in the 2nd round next year.

Not saying he will even ever make the NHL, and his numbers have been skewed by getting to play with Nylander and Kempe... but his offensive talent has came through at pretty much every level he has played at against the best same aged players in the world, hence why he was pegged as a 2nd rounder at the start of this year.

I think the reason people rate him is that if he 'hits' due to his skillset he is a top six player... Laughton, Aube-Kubel and Akeson are the only other forwards in our development system who seemingly realistically have that upside... Cousins I think will be one of those unfortunate players who is a 2nd-3rd line tweener at NHL level, he will play in the NHL I imagine, but likely not stick as his skillset is not really conducive at NHL level to one role or the other, not good enough offensively for top 6, not good enough two way for bottom six, not big, not that great a skater, though that of course all that can change.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

If you're comparing prospects drafted three years ago, yeah draft position means nothing.

If you're comparing prospects drafted 3 weeks ago, then yeah draft position does matter.

This isn't baseball where guys are drafted according to their sign-ability. Friedman at this point in time is a better prospect. Could things change in a few months? Absolutely, but if the Flyers liked Lindblom more than Friedman, they would have taken him in the 3rd round. There is no body of work other than a glorified skating camp (that few here saw) to suggest Lindblom is the better prospect to this point.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If you're comparing prospects drafted three years ago, yeah draft position means nothing.

If you're comparing prospects drafted 3 weeks ago, then yeah draft position does matter.

This isn't baseball where guys are drafted according to their sign-ability. Friedman at this point in time is a better prospect. Could things change in a few months? Absolutely, but if the Flyers liked Lindblom more than Friedman, they would have taken him in the 3rd round. There is no body of work other than a glorified skating camp (that few here saw) to suggest Lindblom is the better prospect to this point.
I pick Friedman over Lindblom, but I don't see how or why draft position matters.

In fact, I think most draft publications (that I've read) had Lindblom over Friedman. Just because the Flyers didn't doesn't conclusively prove one prospect over the other at all. The other 29 teams could have had Lindblom ranked over Friedman for all we know. In fact, I'd say it's likely that most teams did.

EDIT: I agree, development camp should in no way alter anyone's opinion of these players.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I can't believe that I'm the first Wilcox vote. Oh well, shiny new toys I guess.

Willcox and Vasiliev both don't have a ton of upside. Willcox was fantastic defensively at Cornell, but his upside is limited. Guys like Friedman and Lindblom present higher upside. Friedman has the potential to be another Ghost, I see a little more Timonen in him than Ghost. And Lindblom has size, skill and he is still 17. And at this point I start valuing upside higher than the safer bets.

I do think Willcox should go soon if not right after Friedman and Lindblom though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad