Olympics: 2014 - Finland Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
OJ played really well last night vs Minnesota. He's been very solid in the 3 games i have seen him this year. No wonder Erkka is considering him for the team.

Kontiola will have to producing at ppg-rate if he wishes to be on the team.

True, OJ has looked very good on the few games I have seen too, including yesterday.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
OJ played really well last night vs Minnesota. He's been very solid in the 3 games i have seen him this year. No wonder Erkka is considering him for the team.
Yes, OJ is indeed picking it up. Which is good. What we've seen from him lately is the kind of Jokinen that still has use in the NT.

It's hard to say how close he would have been to a ticket with continuing showings more like last couple of seasons, but I'm happy we don't have to speculate about that. At least any more. In his current form he is very much olympic material.

Kontiola will have to producing at ppg-rate if he wishes to be on the team.
Kontiola showed at the Karjala Tournament that he can still be a NT beast, and while he's not quite at PPG pace, is still producing at very steady rate. He's definitely still a candidate, at least for extra forward.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Filppula-Koivu(C)-J.Jokinen
Granlund-O.Jokinen.Selänne
Korpikoski-Kontiola-Aaltonen/T.Ruutu
Komarov-S.Koivu(A)-Hartikainen

Extras: Barkov, Aaltonen/T.Ruutu

Salo-Timonen(A)
Määttä-Väänänen
Vatanen-Kukkonen
Hietanen-Lepistö

T.Rask
Niemi
Lehtonen

#1PP

J.Jokinen-Koivu-Filppula
Vatanen-Timonen

#2PP

Selänne-OJ-Granlund
Määttä-Salo

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Filppula-Koivu(C)-J.Jokinen
Granlund-O.Jokinen.Selänne
Korpikoski-Kontiola-Aaltonen/T.Ruutu
Komarov-S.Koivu(A)-Hartikainen

Extras: Barkov, Aaltonen/T.Ruutu

Salo-Timonen(A)
Määttä-Väänänen
Vatanen-Kukkonen
Hietanen-Lepistö

T.Rask
Niemi
Lehtonen

#1PP

J.Jokinen-Koivu-Filppula
Vatanen-Timonen

#2PP

Selänne-OJ-Granlund
Määttä-Salo

Great lineup. one of the most realistic ones i think erkka might end up with that excact setup.

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
Early but looks like Ruutu might be turning it around. Had a real nice goal last night, we could use similar ones in Sochi. Maybe it's been a conditioning thing aiming mostly to be on top shape during the winter (aim olympics?). We'll see, I'm still reserved but light at the end of the tunnel. :handclap:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Welcome back, Tuomo. Took you a while longer than expected, but never lost faith in you.

I mean, what is this, fifth or sixth time when he comes back from a grueling injury, is a little slumpy at first but finally finds his groove and plays again like nothing happened. Part physical, part mental, as the man himself put it.

And meanwhile, Jussi Jokinen seems to be heading towards his first seasonal slump. Almost scoreless for the last couple of weeks now. And this time, he seems to be dragging even Geno-friggin'-Malkin in with him.

Yes, you're not really a true sniper Jussi, more of an utility forward, we know that. And we've seen this too a handful of times before. Should do nothing to threaten your olympic ticket, but try to make it a bit shorter this time, okay?

In the end, nothing new under the sun. Except for maybe those select few completely blind to the long-time trends.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Welcome back, Tuomo. Took you a while longer than expected, but never lost faith in you.

I mean, what is this, fifth or sixth time when he comes back from a grueling injury, is a little slumpy at first but finally finds his groove and plays again like nothing happened. Part physical, part mental, as the man himself put it.

And meanwhile, Jussi Jokinen seems to be heading towards his first seasonal slump. Almost scoreless for the last couple of weeks now. And this time, he seems to be dragging even Geno-friggin'-Malkin in with him.

Yes, you're not really a true sniper Jussi, more of an utility forward, we know that. And we've seen this too a handful of times before. Should do nothing to threaten your olympic ticket, but try to make it a bit shorter this time, okay?

In the end, nothing new under the sun. Except for maybe those select few completely blind to the long-time trends.

You are too eager to declare Ruutu's "come-back": just wait and see if the sun also rises. In upcoming weeks.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
You are too eager to declare Ruutu's "come-back": just wait and see if the sun also rises. In upcoming weeks.
Would be the first if it doesn't. But I'll make it a point to be back and eat my crow if such a thing comes to pass.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Yes, OJ is indeed picking it up. Which is good. What we've seen from him lately is the kind of Jokinen that still has use in the NT.

It's hard to say how close he would have been to a ticket with continuing showings more like last couple of seasons, but I'm happy we don't have to speculate about that. At least any more. In his current form he is very much olympic material.

Kontiola showed at the Karjala Tournament that he can still be a NT beast, and while he's not quite at PPG pace, is still producing at very steady rate. He's definitely still a candidate, at least for extra forward.

My guess on OJ's Sochi status if he hadn't picked it up would be 'closer than we would have liked'. Now he is well on his way to being 2nd line C in Sochi. I am still not particularly happy with him in a big role because finding him suitable linemates can prove to be a challenge. If Erkka refuses to break up Teemu and Saku, either Kontiola or Barkov will be 4th line center. Kontiola is older and has more experience, but IMO Barkov is the one who is better suited for the role.

OJ in the top 6 may cause a need to tinker with the lines even during the tournament. Any two out of JJ, MiG, Filppula and Ruutu should be fine on the 1st line, but the 2nd line is more challenging... I wish we had more players who are capable of decent production even without great linemates.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
My guess on OJ's Sochi status if he hadn't picked it up would be 'closer than we would have liked'. Now he is well on his way to being 2nd line C in Sochi. I am still not particularly happy with him in a big role because finding him suitable linemates can prove to be a challenge. If Erkka refuses to break up Teemu and Saku, either Kontiola or Barkov will be 4th line center. Kontiola is older and has more experience, but IMO Barkov is the one who is better suited for the role.

OJ in the top 6 may cause a need to tinker with the lines even during the tournament. Any two out of JJ, MiG, Filppula and Ruutu should be fine on the 1st line, but the 2nd line is more challenging... I wish we had more players who are capable of decent production even without great linemates.
Yeah. I'm far more comfortable with having OJ in his current form, but figuring out the proper linemates is still going to be an issue. Though to be fair, he does appear to have mellowed out a bit with age, which might make him a bit more receptive to different player types.

If history is to go by though, one kind he has always seemed to struggle with are so-called pure snipers. You know, the guys who just sort of float there and wait for the pass. It's one reason why I wince a bit every time someone suggests he should play with Selänne. We've had some samples of that before, most notably in 2008 WHC, and that has never gone well. Other examples are Antti Miettinen, Tomi Kallio (it feels a bit silly to be mentioning these two here, but technically they do fit the mold playstylewise despite not being all-that-great finishers) and Iginla from his Calgary days. Those guys need a type with feed-first mentality, something OJ is not.

His best matches consist of grinders and utility types, such as Peltonen (probably the best ever), Hagman, JJ.

If we are to consider that OJ is our 2C, I'd say that leaves us with a top-six of...

Filppula - M.Koivu - Ruutu
Granlund - O.Jokinen - J.Jokinen

This, at least if we want to utilize the past chemistries as best as we can. If we are to consider player types, I guess both Flip/MG and JJ/Ruutu could be interchangeable to some extent.

I've been also working on yet another scenario where Flip could play C, which could possibly rid us of OJ, but that always involves one of Selänne, Aaltonen, Leino or Salminen in the top-six, which doesn't exactly make anything ideal either. People who complain about certain non-fantasy projections (and I don't mean on this board, but overall) just don't seem to get that our winger pool isn't all that great right now.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
!

Great that Tuomo is slowly finding his game. Carolina has been reportedly thinking to shop him away for puck moving defensman. But lets not get carried away here 1 goal doesnt mean his back. Tuomo is standing at 705/740 in entire NHL with -8 plus minus rating and averaging little over 14 minutes per game. Not excactly stats that make Erkka think his on top of it again. But hopefully he finds his game albeit its just as likely he will get injured again. Positive nevertheless!

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Yeah. I'm far more comfortable with having OJ in his current form, but figuring out the proper linemates is still going to be an issue. Though to be fair, he does appear to have mellowed out a bit with age, which might make him a bit more receptive to different player types.

If history is to go by though, one kind he has always seemed to struggle with are so-called pure snipers. You know, the guys who just sort of float there and wait for the pass. It's one reason why I wince a bit every time someone suggests he should play with Selänne. We've had some samples of that before, most notably in 2008 WHC, and that has never gone well. Other examples are Antti Miettinen, Tomi Kallio (it feels a bit silly to be mentioning these two here, but technically they do fit the mold playstylewise despite not being all-that-great finishers) and Iginla from his Calgary days. Those guys need a type with feed-first mentality, something OJ is not.

His best matches consist of grinders and utility types, such as Peltonen (probably the best ever), Hagman, JJ.

If we are to consider that OJ is our 2C, I'd say that leaves us with a top-six of...

Filppula - M.Koivu - Ruutu
Granlund - O.Jokinen - J.Jokinen

This, at least if we want to utilize the past chemistries as best as we can. If we are to consider player types, I guess both Flip/MG and JJ/Ruutu could be interchangeable to some extent.

I've been also working on yet another scenario where Flip could play C, which could possibly rid us of OJ, but that always involves one of Selänne, Aaltonen, Leino or Salminen in the top-six, which doesn't exactly make anything ideal either. People who complain about certain non-fantasy projections (and I don't mean on this board, but overall) just don't seem to get that our winger pool isn't all that great right now.

He has not done well with pure snipers, that's true. Selänne and OJ on the same line is one of my nightmare scenarios as well. I think one of the reasons OJ has had those difficulties is because he is not really the prototypical playmaking center. He needs someone to feed him, but also someone who plays like a playmaking center. At the same time he has been prone to large fluctuations in performance even in the same game. I think JJ might be a good fit because the guy is a complementary player anyway and his game should not be at least negatively affected by OJ and in the best case scenario he will do some defensive work and feed OJ. Deciding between Filppula and Granlund is a more difficult decision IMO. Neither one of them are very familiar with OJ, but both are smart playmakers.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Great that Tuomo is slowly finding his game. Carolina has been reportedly thinking to shop him away for puck moving defensman. But lets not get carried away here 1 goal doesnt mean his back. Tuomo is standing at 705/740 in entire NHL with -8 plus minus rating and averaging little over 14 minutes per game. Not excactly stats that make Erkka think his on top of it again. But hopefully he finds his game albeit its just as likely he will get injured again. Positive nevertheless!
Actually, it's TWO goals over the past week, so Ruutu is in fact whopping 50% less garbage than you make him to be. :sarcasm:

And c'mon, Erkka seemingly thinks Petteri Nummelin could still cut it in Sochi - despite being a d-man who's -8 and 390/405 in the friggin' LIIGA, so don't think you know a first thing what he'll think of Tuomo. The guy could as well be comparable to Stamkos in the eyes of our coach.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
People who dont have Bergenheim in their dream roster should watch last night's Panthers game highlight's... That was lots of Bergenheim in that game

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Yup. Last night Bergenheim pretty much booked it. He will be in Sochi. So, slot him there in your fantasy rosters, since he is now a LOCK!

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Sean Bergenheim- the Ilya Kovalchuk of Finland! ;) If he can keep playing well and gets decent minutes, he has a shot for the 4th line.

Also, Finland's Bobby Orr (who also answers to the name Topi Jaakola) has scored again today. Now when you combine this with Kukkonen's offensive success, it's clear our PP woes have been solved. :sarcasm:

Not a lot of love for Granlund :(

Huh? He's one of the best wingers on the team. The only winger who's indisputably better than him is Filppula. J. Jokinen can be argued as well, but I think Granlund is more of a game changer on his own than JJ. There's plenty of love for him and at least I'm going to be ticked off as hell if some ****** causes him to miss the tournament.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Not a lot of love for Granlund :(
If "lot of love" means the lack of dicussion concerning him, lemme tell you that usually items that generate most noise are ones surrounded with some kind of unclarity or controversy. No-brainer picks everybody thinks should (and will) make the team are not usually the best possible talking points.

Statement: Granny is one of our top-six forwards. Anybody wish to comment, or possibly disagree?

*tumbleweed*

See? Besides, we Finns are tough lovers. Not exactly the type who will sing praises from pewters just for the heck of it.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
Finland just must take Bergenheim onboard. The guy is a fighter, never gives up. I'm glad he is starting to find his game again after that long injury.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The guy is a fighter, never gives up.
There would be 25 such guys in our roster even without Bergenheim.

He's a good candidate, sure, but his slot is one of the most contested with lots of good candidates. It's very difficult to say in the end whom the coach will prefer.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Guess its time to make this line up first time before olympics. Am I able to take 21 players plus 3 goalies? Finland played with 8D and 13 Forwards last time right? I know I have bit of risk in some picks like Armia and not bringing 8 defense man, but you can't achieve big things without taking any risk and capitalizing the potential story from it, right?
Filppula - M. Koivu - J. Jokinen
Ruutu - Granlund - Selänne
Korpikoski - OJ - Aaltonen
Komarov - Barkov - Joensuu
S. Koivu (Center injury reserve and competition maker)
J. Armia (Isn't fit for center role or bottom 6 duty, but is there if Teemu doesn't produce or if any winger gets injured. If some bottom 6 winger gets injured, some from the top 6 can always go to bottom 6 except Teemu and Armia to top 6)

Salo - Vatanen
Timonen - Määttä
Väänänen - Ristolainen
Eronen

Our D-depth isn't that great so I don't think we need to bring 8 of them. In the other hand, 4 playing pairings could keep the fresh at least. But I have some young guys there who have energy to play alot. This line up wouldn't be very ready to take injuries but that's risk I would take. Eronen could play on powerplays, or maybe replace Vatanen in the regullar line up.

1. Rask
2. Niemi
3. Lehtonen / Rinne / Backström

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Guess its time to make this line up first time before olympics. Am I able to take 21 players plus 3 goalies?
The olympic squad will consist of 22 skaters plus 3 goalies. One is only allowed to dress 20+2 (either 12F+8D or 13F+7D) to a single game, meaning two skaters will sit in the pressbox.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
J. Armia (Isn't fit for center role or bottom 6 duty, but is there if Teemu doesn't produce or if any winger gets injured. If some bottom 6 winger gets injured, some from the top 6 can always go to bottom 6 except Teemu and Armia to top 6)
Can you explain this Armia thing? Why should he be selected to olympic team? How can he replace Teemu? Actually it's quite likely that Teemu won't produce.

He has scored goals in olympics last time in 2006. Now he's eight years older, he isn't producing much in NHL and we shouldn't expect too much from this old guy traveling literally to the other side of the world to play a lot of games in tight schedule (4-5 games in seven days). He doesn't play back-to-back games even in NHL anymore. I understand if he's selected, but we shouldn't expect much from him.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Can you explain this Armia thing? Why should he be selected to olympic team? How can he replace Teemu? Actually it's quite likely that Teemu won't produce.

He has scored goals in olympics last time in 2006. Now he's eight years older, he isn't producing much in NHL and we shouldn't expect too much from this old guy traveling literally to the other side of the world to play a lot of games in tight schedule (4-5 games in seven days). He doesn't play back-to-back games even in NHL anymore. I understand if he's selected, but we shouldn't expect much from him.

I just believe in that guy that much. I think he has so much of skill and can play at that level, lethal shot and goal scoring sense when he is on he's game.. and I think we lack skilled players and goal scorers.. So I would love to see them giving him a shot. If it would work out, it could pay alot for us. Kinda of high risk high reward I think. I know he only plays AHL, but I think its not that bad of a league and he was good in FEL, specially in end of season even two way so if that development has been up, and he has got some physics for fact too last summer and maybe during he's injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad