OT: *** 2014 FIFA World Cup ~ Brazil ~ 6/12-7/13 [ESPN] ***

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
Hope Argentina beats the Netherlands and I'm scared for the other side of the bracket. Germany is the better team on paper but Brazil being in their homeland in the finals could be insane. And if they play Argentina in the final you know the shenanigans the refs are gonna play in the game.. Brazil should of been eliminated against Chile

mti79

May 11, 2007
You mean Colombia, no?

yeah, my bad. had 3 long days at work and was drinking.

And what does this have to do With my post? Belgium got Depth. They got Van Buyten (Bayern Munich, Vermalen (Arsenal injured) Kompany (Man City captain) and Vertonghen (Tottenham). All are Central defender. They also got several talented Offensive players in Lukaku (Everton on loan) Benteke (Aston Villa) Hazard (Chelsea)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium_national_football_team

U shouldve replayed vinny. He or she believes that u need a star player to win the cup. I responded to that comment. There is no doubt that Belgium got at least a couple of stars. Courtois and Hazard. Some would say that Kompany is a star.

James is a colombian player. He is not even their biggest star. Falcao (injured) is.

see above comment but add in "sorry"

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Hazard is a star player, so perhaps u should stick to hockey. He is probably Chelseas best offensive player. Hazard played better than Van Persie last season. Courtois is a star. Winning the La Liga and playing in the champions League final is the definition of star. How many Dutch players played in this years champions League final? Kompany won the premier League With Man City and Van Buyten won bundesliga With Bayern Munich. What does Netherland have? Vlaar?

Edit: The netherlands impressed me today.... noooot!

So playing in the Champions league is the definition of a star, hahahahahaha. Yeah Messi sucks ;)

Belgium is awesome and they all are superstars, best football players now and of the future because some of them played in the CLF.

Norway and footbal …….

And what the Netherlands have is a half final ;)

BlaqICE

Apr 10, 2007
N.Y.
As this tournament goes on, Marchisio's red card against Uruguay is looking more and more ridiculous.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
So playing in the Champions league is the definition of a star, hahahahahaha. Yeah Messi sucks ;)

Belgium is awesome and they all are superstars, best football players now and of the future because some of them played in the CLF.

Norway and footbal …….

And what the Netherlands have is a half final ;)

Winning the La Liga and playing in the champions League final = star. Courtois is a star. Period. Messi had an off year and that cost Barcelona. They didnt win any thropies. He is still the best player in the world ofc. Point being that you need worldclass goaltending to Reach the champions League final and especially Athletico Madrid.

Norway and football? What does that have to do With anything? We used to have a strong Squad during the 90s, not anymore.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Winning the La Liga and playing in the champions League final = star. Courtois is a star. Period. Messi had an off year and that cost Barcelona. They didnt win any thropies. He is still the best player in the world ofc. Point being that you need worldclass goaltending to Reach the champions League final and especially Athletico Madrid.

Norway and football? What does that have to do With anything? We used to have a strong Squad during the 90s, not anymore.

That means every single Atletico player (and obviously every Real, Dortmund, Bayern etc.) player is a star. Meanwhile players like Suarez, Neymar, James etc. aren't stars. Just like not every hockey player with a Cup is a star (or players without one aren't), you cannot solely take team accomplishments to judge individual players.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
That means every single Atletico player (and obviously every Real, Dortmund, Bayern etc.) player is a star. Meanwhile players like Suarez, Neymar, James etc. aren't stars. Just like not every hockey player with a Cup is a star (or players without one aren't), you cannot solely take team accomplishments to judge individual players.

thats not what I said. I never said that players that didnt Reach the champions League final are not stars. Thats something u made up. Suarez, Van Persie, Podolski etc are world class players imo. No doubt about that. The team is made up by individual players. Athletico Madrid beat Barcelona in the champions League because each individual player played very well and good coaching. Godin is a very good Central deffender. Much better than People give him credit for. David Villa = star, Diego Costa = Star. That Athletico Madrid team was made up of elite players. That how they managed to win the La Liga Ahead of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

And here is my argument for why Courtois is a star. He is 22 years old and been the starting goalie for athletico Madrid the last Three Seasons.

He is so Young and he has allrdy:

won one La Liga title,

one Europa League title,

one copa del rey (Spanish cup),

one supercup,

been awarded la liga goaltender of the year 2013,

played in the champions League final and been the starter for belgium Ahead of Mignolet (Liverpool).

He is the best goaltender of his generation.

Judging players will always be difficult. Whos the best ? Ronaldo or Messi? Still the champions League is the big thing in football. You need 11 elite players to Reach the final.

9darter

Kreider is underpaid
Jun 29, 2007
Göteborg
Brazil could spend the intermission watching the highlights from a certain NYR@MTL game, Feb. 19, 2008...

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So. Brazil just spent hundreds of millions it doesn't have to build a bunch of stadiums it isn't going to use and to get utterly embarrassed in front of its people. I mean, talk about a real, honest tragedy.

I hope the lid stays on down there.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
So. Brazil just spent hundreds of millions it doesn't have to build a bunch of stadiums it isn't going to use and to get utterly embarrassed in front of its people. I mean, talk about a real, honest tragedy.

I hope the lid stays on down there.

hopefully they can just fill some of the stadiums with water and use them for the aquatic events at the '16 Olympics...

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
Hell of a game today, hopefully Argentina pulls through on Sunday though.. would be special to see the best player win the most revered trophy in the sport

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I always felt weird growing up about being half-German. I didn't even like my last name. I was shamed by certain things fed to me by certain people. The kinds of things that reduce your heritage to one single story; a story that doesn't end so well.

A short time ago I rediscovered my national pride through football. This run has meant an awful lot to me.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I always felt weird growing up about being half-German. I didn't even like my last name. I was shamed by certain things fed to me by certain people. The kinds of things that reduce your heritage to one single story; a story that doesn't end so well.

A short time ago I rediscovered my national pride through football. This run has meant an awful lot to me.

A bit like most of Germany did in 2006 ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad