Prospect Info: 2014 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Hope you guys don't mind I traded our first for Ellis and a 3rd from Nashville on the trade boards. :naughty:

No really though, I wouldn't mind trading back a few spots to pick up Roland Mckeown as well as an extra pick or two.

Last edited:

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
Hope you guys don't mind I traded our first for Ellis and a 3rd from Nashville on the trade boards. :naughty:

No really though, I wouldn't mind trading back a few spots to pick up Roland Mckeown as well as an extra pick or two.

Ellis seems kind of small and when I heard about him, he was closer to a bust than top 4. Has he rebounded that much?

I like that idea if we can get a 2nd for moving back, but I'm not completely convinced by Roland McKeown. He was outplayed by others in the U18's.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
This definently is a draft that may not have the massive, franchise player you would hope for, but it does have some decent depth, especially with us sitting at spot 18. If we can get the ranger pick, all the better.

Wonder who will be available. A guy like Barbashev seems to fit what SFY likes to draft 1st rounf (Skilled, leadership, Russian). But it wouldn't hurt to add a D guy with this pick either. I'm on the side that feels like we need to address our slightly lacking D-corp in the first 2 rounds, since we will have an extra pick somewhere. Will be fun to see what we do.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This definently is a draft that may not have the massive, franchise player you would hope for, but it does have some decent depth, especially with us sitting at spot 18. If we can get the ranger pick, all the better.

Wonder who will be available. A guy like Barbashev seems to fit what SFY likes to draft 1st rounf (Skilled, leadership, Russian). But it wouldn't hurt to add a D guy with this pick either. I'm on the side that feels like we need to address our slightly lacking D-corp in the first 2 rounds, since we will have an extra pick somewhere. Will be fun to see what we do.

Yup. If he's there when we draft, I don't see how Yzerman picks anyone else. He's the prototypical Yzerman player, but slightly bigger than the "Yzerman guys" we've been drafting lately. I could see us moving up a spot or two if he's still there around 15/16th. Looks like a guy who would make Yzerman's eyes pop out.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I love barbashev but think he falls just outside of 10 and we wont have a shot.

I can see us doing mckeowen than tuch if they are around. Hope spelled those right lol.

I would love to trade up for barbashev though and get someones middle second and get a d guy who needs work but has a high upside etc..

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I love barbashev but think he falls just outside of 10 and we wont have a shot.

I can see us doing mckeowen than tuch if they are around. Hope spelled those right lol.

I would love to trade up for barbashev though and get someones middle second and get a d guy who needs work but has a high upside etc..

Still a chance we'll wind up with 2 first rounders. The last CS rankings, if I remember right, had Barbashev ranked 19th, so there's a chance he could fall to us even if we don't move up. I agree though that he'd probably be too tempting to other teams.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Still a chance we'll wind up with 2 first rounders. The last CS rankings, if I remember right, had Barbashev ranked 19th, so there's a chance he could fall to us even if we don't move up. I agree though that he'd probably be too tempting to other teams.

well even with two seconds we can target some guys is sanheim hope spelled that right and another guy both lefties d I like vanier hope again spelled right.

Sanheim is a twin 6'3 kid moving up twin brother to a 5'10 forward who might not get drafted this first year but watch for him next year and vanier had injury but huge kid who was showing has offense this year. Vanier is like 6'5 225 already.

Both vanier and sanheim should be mid seconds.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Wouldn't put much expectations for the defensemen we can get with our first/s, they are significantly inferior to last years crop, yes even Ekblad, so going for a power forward, or a really, really long-term d-prospect, would be expected with our pick

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
So here comes my round by round ranking and some notes:

Notes:
-So many right handed Defenders tis year.
-Many power-forward and great two-way forwards this season, rather few highly skilled guys.
-The Q really sucks this year
-The 2nd round is incredible close. There are lots of guys that could go from early 2nd to the mid/late third. So expect some big fallers and some big reaches. Especially the number of defenders in this group is crazy.

Round by round ranking:

1 Round (18th overall):
1A: Julius Honka
1B: Roland McKeown
2: Ivan Barbashev
3:Alex Tuch

All of them can go before our pick or could still be there. Honka has the higher upside than McKeown, but McKeown is the more complete defender and would be the better fit next to Hedman.
Barbashev is the prototype of a SY/Cooper forward and I expect him to be high on the list. I just like his the mix he brings. He has great upside as well. Tuch is different, he is a powerforward but has not the offensive upside. However he is still interesting for us. Tuch is not a SY player IMO and is not as good as Erne anyways. He is the most likely to be gone by our pick as well.
If neither of them is available (which is highly unlikely) we either find a real faller in our hands (from the top10) or should trade down to the late 20s.
Only way I see us trading up is if Hayden Fleury falls out of the top10, but considering he is only one of two defenders in there I highly doubt it.

1st Round (Rangers pick/ trade down):
1: Jack Glover
2: Nick Schmaltz
3: Jack Dougherty
4: Connor Bleakley

I love Glover and he might be a reach, but I think he has a great chance to break out big time and make many teams look foolish not to pick him. Schmaltz is a smaller super skilled forward, but he has great defensive abilities and could become a major two-way forward. Jack Dougherty is the saver defender compared to GLover, but I believe GLover has the higher ceiling (if both hit it). Connor Bleakley can do it all. Is a leader and does everything a forward can possibly do on the ice. But his ceiling is not super high. DOn't expect more than a 2nd/3rd liner from him. But he is still the guy everybody needs on their team to win Cups.

2nd round (both picks):
1: Brayden Point (F)
2: Travis Sanheim (D)
3: Adam Ollas-Mattsson (D)
4: Joshua Jacobs (D)

-Shane Eiserman (F)
-Aaron Hayden (D)
-Justin Kirkland (F)
-Warren Foegele (F)

Brayden Point is the guy to go for me. I absolutly love him and believe he can become the next Johnson for us (at least what he brings to the ice). I pray that we take him. After that the 2nd round is loaded with defenders, especially defensive defenders. Out of all I (and some great scouts as well) believe Sanheim is the guy that has the highest ceiling and has shown the abilities to push his offesnive game to a new level.
Eiserman would be a great LW powerforward, Foegele is this years Jankowski, which is still a good 2nd round pick and Kirkland is a project power forward with a sky high potential (for a power forward), but also with a hell lot of work to do.

3rd Round:
1: Vladislav Kamenev (F)
2: Ryan Rehill (D)
3: Noah Rod (F)

Honestly I love all three and am really high on them. Obviously I would love to have two or three 3rd rounders to get them all, but I doubt that happens, so for now I just hope we get at least one of them.
Kamenev is a russian shutdown forward (yeah thats as rare as it gets) and if he can learn to produce more, he would become an amazing two-way guy that everybody will be jealous about. Rehill is 6'3 Gudas, however he is only 18 so he could easily become a better overall defender than Gudas is. Noh Rod seems to have a lot Callahan in him.
All three are not exactly steals in the third and could easily slip to the 4th (god I hope one does), but I love them and hope we draft one. But if a great defender out of the 2nd slips down to our third, I wouldn't say no either.

4th Round:
Either one of the guys above or those guys:
1: Eetu Sopanen (D)

- Gavin Bayreuther (D)
- William Lagesson (D)
- Karson Kuhlman (F)
- Brendan Lemieux (F)
- Daniel Audette (F)
- Juho Lammikko (F)

Very different players here, Sopanen is by far the best player out of those guys, but he has major injury concerns. If he would be injury free he would at least go in the 2nd round maybe even higher.
Everything from agitator (Lemieux) over undersized skilled guy (Audette) to two-way defender (Lagesson) and offensive defender (Bayreuther).

5th-7th Round:
- Alexei Sleptsov (D)
- Reid Duke (F)
- Dmitri Yudin (D)
- Igo Shesterkin (G)
- Brandon Montour (D)
- Matt Murphy (D)
- August Gunnarsson (F)
- Edgars Kulda (F)
- Elvis Merzlikins (G)

Very different players here, however don't expect any of them with us, they seem all like decent fits and interesing project picks, but there are just sooo many potential guys for the later 90 picks and even more that could get drafted or maybe not.
Anyways I am happy about any guy we draft that were on my lists.
Also keep in mind I never saw any of the players live and have only used cost free reports. And I have done almost no research on Swedish forwards as every one of them seems to play the same kind of game and I really wasn't able to see differences between them. But Murray and SY don't draft Sweds anyway.

I hope you guys got some interesting reads about the guys and were able to read everything (rereading my posts today I really made some god awful mistakes...).

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Brett Pollock (Oil Kings, 6'2, C/LW) could be interesting in the 2nd round. He's really got something going in the playoffs right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We have 18th for sure and we will have either Rangers 1st or Rangers 2nd

When you think about the position we're in with our prospect pool, it makes me kind of giddy to think we have as many as 4 first rounders in the next two years. It's almost not fair.

4 more wins, NYR. 4 more wins.

Let's hope the playoffs make Fleury forget how to play hockey again.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
When you think about the position we're in with our prospect pool, it makes me kind of giddy to think we have as many as 4 first rounders in the next two years. It's almost not fair.

4 more wins, NYR. 4 more wins.

Let's hope the playoffs make Fleury forget how to play hockey again.

He was awful last series too. Only reason the Pens advanced is because their PP was good and Bobrovsky was worse than Fleury. I don't see the Rangers having too much trouble with the Penguins, maybe 6 games. Not sure I see them beating Rask or Price though. They had trouble beating Mason/Emery.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Would love to see SFY drafting Scherbak, as he is extremely smart and reads the play nicely + has a good set of hands. He is so good that I can't even remember any legit comparision to him from active or former players.

Plus, if SFY hasn't given up the Russian5 idea and since Gusev is not good enough to make it to NHL (at least at the moment), he needs a Russian winger (although I'm actually ok with Brownov). :sarcasm:

Just a moment ago I actually realized that his name is Nikita - he belongs in Tampa, guys :D

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Would love to see SFY drafting Scherbak, as he is extremely smart and reads the play nicely + has a good set of hands. He is so good that I can't even remember any legit comparision to him from active or former players.

Plus, if SFY hasn't given up the Russian5 idea and since Gusev is not good enough to make it to NHL (at least at the moment), he needs a Russian winger (although I'm actually ok with Brownov). :sarcasm:

Just a moment ago I actually realized that his name is Nikita - he belongs in Tampa, guys :D

I mean with the second pick we have could see this guy if ny gives us that second first rounder but would rather drop back and get d myself. Would like to load up d if possible if dont make some moves. High on enough LW's in our system right now in time where adding another is just a ok to me. His game is improving but we got a lot of guys where dont see a home run myself.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we get NY's 1st I hope we move it for a 2nd in 15'. If we resign Cally we lose our 2nd and that's a much deeper draft. Not sure what else we can get with the 2nd as the value of pick trades at the draft always varries.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
If we get NY's 1st I hope we move it for a 2nd in 15'. If we resign Cally we lose our 2nd and that's a much deeper draft. Not sure what else we can get with the 2nd as the value of pick trades at the draft always varries.

You mean move down in this draft and grab another 2nd, right?

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
if the Rangers advance to lose the ECF we get the 26th slot. If they advance beyond the ECF our pick gets worse and the trade looks worse.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You mean move down in this draft and grab another 2nd, right?

We don't have to trade down into the 2nd round. We already have a 2nd and this is a weak draft. As long as the main piece is a 15' 2nd +. Don't think we can get a 14' 2nd and a 15' 2nd for a late 1st.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
if the Rangers advance to lose the ECF we get the 26th slot. If they advance beyond the ECF our pick gets worse and the trade looks worse.

Why does the trade look worse, because the Rangers have advanced to the ECF? They have been a perennial playoff team that's advanced to the ECF in recent years. The trade looks better as it's 2 1sts + Cally + 7th if we resign him for MSL + 2nd, not bad for a player who forced a trade the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad