Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
how does the new seeding work with draft selection, if we finish 2nd in the metro and are like 15th in points would we be pick 24 or 15?

i know winning the SE in the past has dropped us a bunch in the draft

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
how does the new seeding work with draft selection, if we finish 2nd in the metro and are like 15th in points would we be pick 24 or 15?

Not sure but assuming the same logic holds as before the order would depend on whether they reach the Conference Finals or not (ha). Conference finalists and Division winners should be reshuffled at the end again if so and if they're out in the first/second round again it would be 15th.

Fabbri is another 15-30ish quality center. Some similarities to Grabovski.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

I don't know about a bunch but it has dropped the Caps a little bit in a couple of drafts I believe.

By my count they dropped 1 spot last year and 2 spots in '08. I'm fairly certain they weren't going to draft Poirier last year but in '08 the 2 guys selected right before Gustafsson at 21 were Sbisa at 19 and Del Zotto at 20.

Given that they moved up to take Carlson at 27 that year I think it would be easy to make a case they might have taken either of those other guys at 19 and then who knows what they do afterwards.

Regardless, not winning the South East with comparatively low point totals should help their draft position some going forward.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So the Caps are currently tracking towards the 15th pick and I'm not sure that will improve much. Maybe it will by a spot or two but they're also just a few points away from tracking towards a top ten pick.

It's not a tremendous draft but some roster changes/reassessment and a top 10/11 pick would be welcome. Not sure McPhee and the rest of the front office will let a floundering roster struggle for too long without paying a premium to try to improve it, though.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm still on the Ehlers train if possible but I'd take Kempe over Barbashev. Kempe is bigger and has a higher top gear. Barbashev is a quality glue guy type, though.

It's still looking very forward-heavy. Outside of Ekblad & Fleury not sure there's another top 15 worthy defenseman. Maybe McKeown but not quite that high.

The CHL Top Prospects rosters are loaded. Should be a good one in a week and a half.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm still on the Ehlers train if possible but I'd take Kempe over Barbashev. Kempe is bigger and has a higher top gear. Barbashev is a quality glue guy type, though.

It's still looking very forward-heavy. Outside of Ekblad & Fleury not sure there's another top 15 worthy defenseman. Maybe McKeown but not quite that high.

The CHL Top Prospects rosters are loaded. Should be a good one in a week and a half.

I always thought barbashev was kind of soft until I watched him at these wjc. I would defiently be happy with Kempe though.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
So the Caps are currently tracking towards the 15th pick and I'm not sure that will improve much. Maybe it will by a spot or two but they're also just a few points away from tracking towards a top ten pick.

It's not a tremendous draft but some roster changes/reassessment and a top 10/11 pick would be welcome. Not sure McPhee and the rest of the front office will let a floundering roster struggle for too long without paying a premium to try to improve it, though.

Kasperi Kapanen LW is around the 15th. Finnish I believe. Maybe it's time to pick up a Fin?;)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe it's just Halifax bias, but Ehlers should really be higher than that.
Yeah, he's a top ten pick for me. High-end hockey sense to go along with a zeal away from the puck. That kind of consistently applied work rate is very appealing (in a pretty talented player at that).

The World Juniors showed off a lot of intriguing European forwards between Karlsson, Pastrnak, Fiala & Vrana. They're all more back-half of the first round types or maybe second rounders but they all performed very well in that event at that age. Same for the D-man Honka.

There's still a long way to go but it seems like an alright draft. Maybe not one where the Caps could land a blue chip LD or C prospect unless they finish among the bottom ten but there are still some pretty solid players (mainly forwards) after the top ten. The 2015 draft overshadows it but that's not to discount this one entirely. There are always players to be found.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pretty entertaining top prospects game after the first period once the players settled in. Nick Ritchie has Tom Wilson-esque man strength. Not as much of a missile on the forecheck, though.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Pretty entertaining top prospects game after the first period once the players settled in. Nick Ritchie has Tom Wilson-esque man strength. Not as much of a missile on the forecheck, though.

I was hoping he would continue falling when he was having injury troubles and was ranked 12th but now he's gotten through those and quickly rising in the rankings. 4th now so propably out of Caps reach.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@daredlinereport: Kevin Fiala hot streak continues, 2 new assist today, total 2+6 in his first 5 SHL games.

A definite riser, albeit probably not top 15 worthy.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I was hoping he would continue falling when he was having injury troubles and was ranked 12th but now he's gotten through those and quickly rising in the rankings. 4th now so propably out of Caps reach.

Don't sell us short, we very well could pick him up at 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad