Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
What about getting a guy with some Caps bloodlines (Gustafsson!)?

Son of Andrei Nikolishin, Ivan, plays really well for Everett in the WHL right now. Considering that Nikolishin has always been an advocate for Russians leaving to North America (even though he seems to stay quiet on the topic now that he's involved with the KHL players union), I think flight risk isn't a problem with him. Size is (he's 5-8), but he could be a good high-risk high-reward third round pick IMO.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Esp. after Tolchinsky went undrafted it's always hard to peg where a player like Nikolishin might go. I could see him more as a fourth rounder or beyond due to those concerns.

Barbashev wouldn't be a bad fit in the first round either were he to fall due to the Russian Factor. He plays a fairly complete game, though he'll need to work on his skating a bit.

Ehlers really fits that Euro winger profile, though.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The Subway Super Series starts tomorrow.

2014 eligibles to watch:

QMJHL: Daniel Audette (Donald's son)
OHL: Aaron Ekblad, Michael Dal Colle (11/21 only), Sam Bennett (11/25 only)
WHL: Sam Reinhart, Connor Bleackley (also Caps prospects Bowey & Stephenson)
Russia: Ivan Barbashev (Q games), Nikolay Goldobin (O games), Nikita Sherbak (W games), Vladimir Tkachev

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yep, Sami's son.
Kapanen looking like this years Burakovsky.
In terms of lagging production causing his stock to slip? I could see that but I doubt he's a fit for the Caps either way. An undersized righty winger Finn. Three quick strikes against him.

Assuming Ehlers solidifies a case for the top 10-15 and the Caps pick in the 16-25 range I think Barbashev via Russian Factor slippage becomes the easy way to maximize the draft slot. Long way to go, though.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Yep, Sami's son.

In terms of lagging production causing his stock to slip? I could see that but I doubt he's a fit for the Caps either way. An undersized righty winger Finn. Three quick strikes against him.

Assuming Ehlers solidifies a case for the top 10-15 and the Caps pick in the 16-25 range I think Barbashev via Russian Factor slippage becomes the easy way to maximize the draft slot. Long way to go, though.

Just as a highly rate prospect dropping due to a lack of production in an adult league.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Nylander plays for my hometown team. I'm sure some teams won't touch him in the first round. He's small, a bit selfish and has a low work rate. His upside is insanely high though, probably the most talented swedish 17 year old I've ever seen. Many have him top 3 but I think he could drop out of the top 10. Very risky pick.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Yep, Sami's son.

Another smallish LW? I admit I know nothing about him aside from his stat line, but is he really good enough to justify throwing him onto the pile with Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, and Barber?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Another smallish LW? I admit I know nothing about him aside from his stat line, but is he really good enough to justify throwing him onto the pile with Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, and Barber?
He's generally very engaged without the puck so I think he could feasibly play center down the line. If not, I'd still gamble on his upside relative to the vast majority of prospects outside of the common top 10 range (and maybe even before some currently in it). It depends on what all is on the board of course but he's got a hell of a skill set and a pretty mature mentality on top of it. Maybe there could be some translation questions ala Boedker but IMO he thinks the game at a higher level and is more skilled.

Again, Barbashev does make a lot of sense otherwise from need and value standpoints if he falls. Doubtful that the LD this team needs in the short-term will come from the first round of this class.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

BPA. Always BPA. Team and organization needs can do a 180 in a span of 1-2 years. By the time a prospect is ready for the big leagues, it's rare that the team needs are the same as when they drafted him.

Going into the 2012 draft, right wing was a weakness in both the NHL and through the entire Capitals organization. We had Brouwer and Ward and not much else. Ovechkin was still a LW, and Semin and Knuble were about to walk. Kuznetsov and Galiev were the only quality scoring winger prospects in the pool.
In the span of a year Forsberg, Wilson, and Barber were added via the draft, Ovechkin was moved to RW, and Fehr rebounded into a useful NHL player after his stint in Winnipeg. Combined with strong seasons from Brouwer and Ward, RW was suddenly the team's biggest strength and a position of organizational depth. So much so that Forsberg was moved.

The same can be said of goaltending. Just a couple years ago, it was unquestionably the organizations biggest position of depth. We had more young goaltenders in the minors than you could throw a stick at. Holtby, Neuvirth, and Grubauer all had to start in the ECHL because of the organizational depth in front of them. Now with Varlamov and the veterans (Theodore/Vokoun) gone and Neuvirth's career in neutral, and a number of late round flameouts (Anderson, Soberg, and Kostenko), Grubauer is the only legitimate goalie prospect the Capitals have.

Things change quickly. Just take the BPA.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Yeah, I get the BPA argument. Heck, I think I wrote that second paragraph last summer. But I think there can be times when you can justify going a spot or two down the board. If the guy's the clear cut best player, sure, take him, but if there are a few guys who are around the same level and the only center prospect you have with any chance of playing in an NHL top 9 is a long shot kid you took out of the EJHL, you take the center. It's hard to see that situation changing over the next few years without devoting some high picks to it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe Johansson is that center. Maybe they opt to try Kuznetsov at center so that he's on the walls a little less often. Stephenson is probably their best bet to become a top nine center at this point (albeit with perhaps a third-line ceiling).

If not...if they can't sign a veteran and it remains a need then trade for it with some of the amassed futures. I'd still take the player deemed to be with the highest upside regardless, particularly if the player has habits that suggest low bust potential. If it's so close that a decision between two players is a toss-up then, yeah, prioritize projected need but otherwise it can be sorted out down the line.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah, I get the BPA argument. Heck, I think I wrote that second paragraph last summer. But I think there can be times when you can justify going a spot or two down the board. If the guy's the clear cut best player, sure, take him, but if there are a few guys who are around the same level and the only center prospect you have with any chance of playing in an NHL top 9 is a long shot kid you took out of the EJHL, you take the center. It's hard to see that situation changing over the next few years without devoting some high picks to it.

I think it is a lot less likely that teams have a few 1st rounder types that they like more or less equally than people think. I think, especially in the first round, guys are placed above others for a reason. Sure they might have a number of guys that they like but when it comes down to actually making the selection they take the guy they do for a reason. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, that their ratings for two guys aren't exactly the same. I just don't think it happens very often with 1st round talent.

Liberati0n*

Teams can also prioritize certain positions over others, regardless of their organizational needs. I think that can be perfectly valid if you want to draft guys you think can play center if they make the NHL, or even if you know you're better at identifying talent (or developing it), like Poile with defensemen.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Latest rankings have Fleury 10th, Ritchie 15th and Barbashev 19th.

Would love to get Ritchie but he needs to drop bit more.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Still going with Kapanen, he fell even more. Though it appears hes turned it on lately and could turn around his season and instantly be back to top 5.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Anton Karlsson please. Swedish two-way forward, ranked 24th by McKeen's. 12th by Button, 19th by FC.

I'll take a close look at him at the WJC.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
No wingers. If a winger is BPA, trade out.

This organization's been too bare down the middle for too long.
Centers in FC's 16-30: Larkin, Schmaltz, Kempe.

Larkin and Kempe are more of power guys, Schmaltz is more of a finesse player.

#TheStreak of picking European players first should continue. Kempe please. By the way, unlike Karlsson, Kempe isn't on Sweden's preliminary roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad