2014 Draft Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If Reinhart is gone, you pick Ekblad. Period. End of debate. You worry about the other stuff later. Ekblad will likely be a 1D. Though people are encouraged by Myers' re-emergence and Zadarov's potential, I think both are more risky propositions than Ekblad. We're almost assured of at least one elite forward next year, and possibly two depending on where the Isles' pick falls. Nothing wrong with building an elite D-corps and improving our goal prevention abilities.

Pick Ekblad at 2 if Reinhart is gone.

It obviously depends who's in those slots. I think the Isles would draft Draisaitl at #3. He'd be a nice complement to Tavares.

They probably thought that about Niederreiter as well. Highly talented forward prospect from a non-traditional country? Wonder if that might scare Snow off a little.

I think the Isles will defer any top 10 pick. Otherwise why put that into the trade? I can't imagine Regier had that as one of his demands...Snow must have asked for it. It would make no sense to ask for it if you weren't going to use it.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
For those that didn't see it:

Brock with his top OHL players.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014...nhl-entry.html

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Bennett
3. Michael Dal Colle

I think Reinhart, Ekblad is pretty set for the time being.

I agree with Brock (and the other OHL scouts) that have Bennett ahead of Dal Colle considering they are similar offensively but Bennett's all around game is well ahead of Dal colle's. IMO, I really think Bennett is the only one that may be able to challenge the top 2 (and might have with a WJ invitee under Team Canada's old format).

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Nylander is overrated, I do not think he is a top 5 pick at this point.
I disagree, but understand it depends how you're looking at Nylander. He's a top-5 talent in this draft through my eyes, as he possesses an elite offensive tool-set. He simply struggled to produce in a limited, bottom-six role with Modo (SHL) and now has been reassigned to the second pro tier again, where he'll play in the top-six alongside another eligible in David Pastrnak. Today, in his third game with SSK, Nylander put up 1+1 and 4 SOG in a 3-0 win; stats and highlights HERE. Pastrnak also had 1+1 in his return from CZE/WJC. I expect Nylander to show some statistical consistency now with this loan move, but understand people will be weary of his size, defense and/or SHL stats. I have no doubt that he'd light up juniors and that's where mostly everyone plays that you'd compare him to. He's past that and simply needs to bulk up and adjust to more veteran opponents.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I disagree, but understand it depends how you're looking at Nylander. He's a top-5 talent in this draft through my eyes, as he possesses an elite offensive tool-set. He simply struggled to produce in a limited, bottom-six role with Modo (SHL) and now has been reassigned to the second pro tier again, where he'll play in the top-six alongside another eligible in David Pastrnak. Today, in his third game with SSK, Nylander put up 1+1 and 4 SOG in a 3-0 win; stats and highlights HERE. Pastrnak also had 1+1 in his return from CZE/WJC. I expect Nylander to show some statistical consistency now with this loan move, but understand people will be weary of his size, defense and/or SHL stats. I have no doubt that he'd light up juniors and that's where mostly everyone plays that you'd compare him to. He's past that and simply needs to bulk up and adjust to more veteran opponents.
I agree with most of what your saying. I just see his size and one dimensional play perhaps having him drop slightly come draft day. I still think he is a top 10 pick but I would not be surprised if 3 of the following 4 (Dal Colle, Bennett, Draisaitl, McCann) are picked ahead of him

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
You dont trade Zadorov, Risto, or Myers even if you get Ekblad. The more D the better.

I didn't say trade them now. I said you could flip one LATER. As in, once the Sabres truly see what they have. The more the D the better is true. But if you've got 6 guys who are top 4 defenseman and a guy waiting in the wings to be #6......and a gaping hole on offense......you pull the trigger.

AFTER you see what you have.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wouldnt force anything. We can draft elite forwards, we should have 3 top 10 picks the next 2 years and possibly more in future years.

I think D are harder to find. We could be loaded on D, lets develop them and then once we know we have too many then move them.

Who said trade any of them the day after the draft?

Of course you wait and see how everyone develops. But, down the road you have the RHD depth to make a deal that moves a RHD out for help up front.

Heck, you could probably afford to move two of Eklbad, Risto, Myers, and Pysyk as that is a TON of talent and you might be able to get a difference maker up front in return.

But, that is waaaaay down the road.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why?

If the Sabres are heavy on D, especially RHD, and a trade is available to make the balance of the team better, why not trade from a position of depth for a position of need?

I disagree here....

Dealing from a positin of depth Ida two edged sword.

Sure you can move a player and fill a need

But...

In this situation with 5 RHD in drafting Ekblad it potentially could limit the development of some players thus hurting their trade value.

The only way I could see taking Ekblad is if he is a significant amount ahead of other players. Say you scored players on a 100 scale and he was 95 while everyone else was upper 70s. If he was 95, and thse other players were in that 91-94 range I would first look to flip picks and move down a spot or two.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I disagree here....

But...

In this situation with 5 RHD in drafting Ekblad it potentially could limit the development of some players thus hurting their trade value.

The only way I could see taking Ekblad is if he is a significant amount ahead of other players. Say you scored players on a 100 scale and he was 95 while everyone else was upper 70s. If he was 95, and thse other players were in that 91-94 range I would first look to flip picks and move down a spot or two.

We could possibly trade a down a few spots in the draft to a team that covets him depending on who we are targeting after Reinhart. To us Ekblad isn't necessarily a need but to another team, he is a potential franchise Defenseman. Who knows what a team would be willing to move up 2 spots to draft Ekblad.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I disagree here....

But...

I think most scouts would say there is a sizable drop off in talent after the top 2 picks in Reinhart & Ekblad to the next group of 3 or 4 players.

Taking Ekblad at two and figuring things out down the road is the right move. And adding Ekblad to the mix won't affect the development of guys like Risto & Pysyk, especially if they slow cook Ekblad and send him back to JRs the next two years.

Talent trumps need.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Ekblad is the obvious choice at 2, but I hope the Sabres just get Reinhart. If the Sabres do end up with the 2nd overall pick, maybe they try to trade up for Reinhart.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I think most scouts would say there is a sizable drop off in talent after the top 2 picks in Reinhart & Ekblad to the next group of 3 or 4 players.

Taking Ekblad at two and figuring things out down the road is the right move. And adding Ekblad to the mix won't affect the development of guys like Risto & Pysyk, especially if they slow cook Ekblad and send him back to JRs the next two years.

Talent trumps need.

I agree with that for the most part, but I wouldn't say that was true in Edmonton. Some times the pendulum swings so far to the D or O side that it's hard to balance it back out again. We're getting very D heavy at the moment. Unfortunately, this draft doesn't appear too deep, so there's no sense in sliding back a few spots.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
How many fans didnt want Zadorov last year?

I think most fans saw Zadorov as a steal at 16. I didn't think he would get past Philly. Many people didn't like grabbing two defenseman, but I think a number of fans (including me) fell into the category of wishing we could go back and repick at 8 knowing we'd get Zads at 16. (If Devine had a crystal ball and knew Zads would fall, I think their first pick would have gone much differently...or they would have made the deal with Carolina to move up to 5.) But alas, no one could have known that.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo

I would've liked a forward and defenseman, but none of the forwards really appealed to me after all the big ones were drafted. I wanted Wennberg I believe at the time, but I was happy we selected two of the biggest and meanest defensemen in the draft.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
during the Pacific vs USA game they showed ISS 2015 NHL draft rankings of those in the tournament, some notables. Getting a first look at Hanifin it's pretty easy to see why people are raving about him, elite skating ability and a very heady player, a player who has really stood out for me with high end offensive tools is Jeremy Bracco who I believe is 15' eligable but he looks alittle undersized.

#1 Connor McDavid
#2 Jack Eichel
#3 Noah Hanifin
#5 Oliver Kylington
#15 Matt Spencer
#18 Dylan Strome

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Too many. He and Shinkaruk were the 2 guys I was interested in by the time #16 was on the clock. Glad they went with Z. Granted Hunter's been injured a good portion of this season, but he's certainly not trending up like Zad is.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Too many. He and Shinkaruk were the 2 guys I was interested in by the time #16 was on the clock. Glad they went with Z. Granted Hunter's been injured a good portion of this season, but he's certainly not trending up like Zad is.

a lot of the draftniks had people convinced there was no offensive upside to Zad, plus I think a lot of it was also related to Risto

not many would have complained about Zad if we had taken a froward at 8

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
during the Pacific vs USA game they showed ISS 2015 NHL draft rankings of those in the tournament, some notables. Getting a first look at Hanifin it's pretty easy to see why people are raving about him, elite skating ability and a very heady player, a player who has really stood out for me with high end offensive tools is Jeremy Bracco who I believe is 15' eligable but he looks alittle undersized.

#1 Connor McDavid
#2 Jack Eichel
#3 Noah Hanifin
#5 Oliver Kylington
#15 Matt Spencer
#18 Dylan Strome

Yeah. 2015 looks INSANE. I think it goes 4 deep in franchise players at least (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin and Barzal).

This year is the year to REALLY put the tank on. Next year? While McDavid is the prize...the consolations aren't half bad.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Yeah. 2015 looks INSANE. I think it goes 4 deep in franchise players at least (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin and Barzal).

This year is the year to REALLY put the tank on. Next year? While McDavid is the prize...the consolations aren't half bad.

And to think we could get 2 of those guys if the Islanders comply. Eichel/Hanifin? :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad