2014 Draft Thread – Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

Of course not. Many people see Draisaitl as having the highest upside in the draft. Bennett reminds me a lot of Kyle Turris.

you mean the Kyle Turris who's centering the Sens top line? The Kyle Turris who's made Spezza expendable? That Kyle Turris?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
you mean the Kyle Turris who's centering the Sens top line? The Kyle Turris who's made Spezza expendable? That Kyle Turris?

I'm not so sure that stokes meant the comparison as a "slam" per se.

I inferred that he meant the Bennett could be a top-line guy who just might take a little more time to get there. And style-wise too.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I have only seen the 2 Sams on tv but get the impression they are both somewhat like Hodgson in skill but slightly faster with Reinhart better defensively and Bennett a tad more offensively oriented?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I have only seen the 2 Sams on tv but get the impression they are both somewhat like Hodgson in skill but slightly faster with Reinhart better defensively and Bennett a tad more offensively oriented?

if by, like Hodgson, you mean theyre borderline 1c prospects with excellent ceilings then yes

if you mean something else, I think its little to simplistic of a comparison to have any real meaning

ZeroPT*

I inferred that he meant the Bennett could be a top-line guy who just might take a little more time to get there. And style-wise too.

I disagree. I think Bennett is in the Seguin/Duchene mold. Dynamic, point producing offensive stars. I don't see why he can't be in that group.

Draisaitl is awesome. He's a big speedy forward but I see much more potential in Reinhart/Bennett. I'd say he is the #3 ranked forward for sure.

bluengold72

Jul 18, 2013
north tonawanda
besides our pick which i'd be happy with either sam i would target

ritchie or ehlers
and then milano, tuch or fabbri
get two of those 5 and id be happy obviously i'd like both ritchie and ehlers but that might be very difficult if the isles defer.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I've seen Bennett several times in person (it's been awhile, admittedly, though clearly he's even better now), and he doesn't at all remind me of Hodgson. Start with his skating and a more polished, all-around game. I'm told he's improved defensively since I last saw him. Only in terms of projections here, I think you're looking at a player with 1st line C potential, depending on the team/circumstances. I like Hodgson, but he doesn't project the same.

So w/Hodgson (and Grigorenko, Girgensons if he stays at C, and maybe Larsson), you draft a Reinhart or a Bennett, develop them properly, and then start adding scoring wingers this year and next (via draft and/or trade) and things start looking a lot rosier offensively. A lot of ifs, but the potential is definitely there.

EDIT: I mention Larsson more as a potentially solid 2-way C to emphasize C potential organizationally. You can add Compher to that mix as well.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Exactly, and thank you. Turris is a good player, but it took him a long time to come into his own, especially for a top 3 pick. There is a picture of him shaking Shane Doan's hand after he was drafted and Turris looked like a puny little kid. If Bennett wants to play his style in the NHL, his body has a lot of maturing to do. Maybe it won't be an issue, but it's a concern for me.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
besides our pick which i'd be happy with either sam i would target

ritchie or ehlers
and then milano, tuch or fabbri
get two of those 5 and id be happy obviously i'd like both ritchie and ehlers but that might be very difficult if the isles defer.

If Ritchie ever becomes a highly consistent player he could really be something, but I wouldn't bank on it. His skill for his size is truly noteworthy, much better than Kassian's who was no slouch skill-wise in juniors. Wouldn't mind getting him of course but I'd rather have Ehlers if I had the choice. I think Ehlers is destined to be very, very good value unless he shoots up into the top 5.

I really like Fabbri as well, and Milano's skill would be a great add. Unfortunately I don't think we have much of a shot at Ehlers or Ritchie unless we make a trade that involves a late 1st (from a deadline deal) + one of our younger players. I don't think the Isles will defer, especially since they seem reasonably locked in at about #5 pre-lottery.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Exactly, and thank you. Turris is a good player, but it took him a long time to come into his own, especially for a top 3 pick. There is a picture of him shaking Shane Doan's hand after he was drafted and Turris looked like a puny little kid. If Bennett wants to play his style in the NHL, his body has a lot of maturing to do. Maybe it won't be an issue, but it's a concern for me.

Regarding Turris I think the general consensus is that Phoenix contributed to his development problems by throwing him into the NHL before he was physically ready. He only spent one season with Wisconsin and I believe he had mono somewhere along the line that also set back his physical development and he wasn't ready to go to the NHL when he did.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Regarding Turris I think the general consensus is that Phoenix contributed to his development problems by throwing him into the NHL before he was physically ready. He only spent one season with Wisconsin and I believe he had mono somewhere along the line that also set back his physical development and he wasn't ready to go to the NHL when he did.

this...this sounds familiar...:laugh:

ZeroPT*

Oh how different it would've been if Barkov,Eichel and Mackinnon would be 2014 eligible... The three were mere weeks away from being In this draft but in typical Buffalo sabres fashion, they aren't :cry:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Question for Sabres fans, have you guys come up with a consensus for who you're picking first overall?

Bennett, Reinhart or Ekblad?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Question for Sabres fans, have you guys come up with a consensus for who you're picking first overall?

If you were to take a poll you'd find a majority people want Reinhart, or Bennett if we don't pick 1st and Reinhart is gone. Very few people want Ekblad 1st and some would prefer him at #2 if their guy is gone. Some people put Dal Colle and/or Draisaitl alongside Bennett or above Reinhart.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
If you were to take a poll you'd find a majority people want Reinhart, or Bennett if we don't pick 1st and Reinhart is gone. Very few people want Ekblad 1st and some would prefer him at #2 if their guy is gone. Some people put Dal Colle and/or Draisaitl alongside Bennett or above Reinhart.

Thanks.

I'm assuming center is the biggest positional need for the Sabres right now?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I think high end forwards in general are the biggest need but most prefer drafting a centre with such a high pick. (I'm in the minority wanting Draisaitl)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Thanks.

I'm assuming center is the biggest positional need for the Sabres right now?

Centers or goalscoring wingers IMO. The fact that ZG may fare better in the NHL as a winger, and that Grigorenko is a question mark with regards to ever being an impact player, may lean us towards looking down the middle if all things were equal. But I'd like some high end talent on the wings as wel.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013

I would go with Reinhart and if we end up with another pick in top 10, Ritchie

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ummmm...Did you miss the -6 game last Thursday? If anything Ekblad would be on the downswing versus Reinhart (and Bennett).

A single game's not gonna impact a broader trajectory, even in a head-to-head with another top prospect. I'm not high on Ekblad but that's not very fair.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
A single game's not gonna impact a broader trajectory, even in a head-to-head with another top prospect. I'm not high on Ekblad but that's not very fair.

Maybe not, but it doesn't make him trending higher than Reinhart when they are this close and Reinhart is playing out of his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad