2014 Draft Thread – Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I see a lot of Bergeron in him (Patrice, you wiseguys). Hockey IQ and attention to detail. Don't think he's as explosive as Toews to give you that elite 1C threat.

I think he is most definitely going to be a number #1 center in the league and even elite. Wait until he starts playing with NHLers who think the game at a high level. He is a key cog you can build your franchise around.

Last edited:

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
If I had to use a comparable who he plays like I would probably say Sedin or even Zetterberg. The Toews comparable comes from nationality and intangibles. He isn't near as dynamic as Toews and is more of a subtle player. He is going to be Sam Reinhart in the NHL and make his mark as one of the better players in the league, the way he plays I could see him as a top 6 guy from day one. He looks like a lock to be picked #1 in june in my eyes, I don't see another forward even close being as good as him.

This is obviously a very subjective exercise, as we all see players differently, but I think the Sedins and Zetterberg are much more "dynamic" than Toews is. Dynamic is also kind of a vague word that people use to mean different things. Reinhart might not skate as well as Toews, but I think his offensive skill set is similar overall.

Regardless, the team that drafts Reinhart will be very happy with his game. I really hope that team is the Buffalo Sabres.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Imagine the Sabres finish 3rd. Oilers take Ekblad and Islanders take Reinhart.

Islanders trade Vanek for another 1st round pick. We then have to hope they stink in 2015.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Imagine the Sabres finish 3rd. Oilers take Ekblad and Islanders take Reinhart.

Islanders trade Vanek for another 1st round pick. We then have to hope they stink in 2015.

I'd give the isles all of our 2nds to move from 3 to 1. Toss in Millers UFAS rights too, if he's still here and unsigned. Reinhart is a clear cut above every other F in this draft right now, and it would suck to get that close and miss out. Especially to a team that already has more top 5 picks in the organization than Buffalo has made in the last 2 decades.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
FC releases January ranking for 2014 NHL Draft

Team Canada defenseman Aaron Ekblad has topped Future Considerations’ January ranking for the 2014 NHL Draft.

Ekblad, who is currently skating on Canada’s blue line at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship, has retained his ranking as the top prospect in 2014.

He’s got close company. Canadian teammate Sam Reinhart, who plays for the Kootenay Ice of the Western Hockey League, sits a close second. Ekblad, who took the top position over Reinhart in November, and Reinhart have been ranked 1-2 all season.

“The top two seem to be interchangeable at this point,†scouting director Dan Stewart said. “With their World Juniors performances, they seem to be putting a little distance between themselves and the next grouping,†too.

Leon Draisaitl, who is representing Germany at the same event, remains third. Michael Dal Colle of the Oshawa Generals and Sam Bennett of the Kingston Frontenacs round out the top five.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
A written explanation for each player's rankings should be the bare minimum for publishing something like this. Simply putting a number next to a name without explaining your reasoning, criteria, etc is not very helpful.

Agree

the top 5 seems to be separating themselves on mainstream rankings now aswell. Ekblad and Reinhart are definitely on their own but it seems like Dal Colle and Draisaitl are that next tier with Nylander and/or Bennett right behind.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If I had to use a comparable who he plays like I would probably say Sedin or even Zetterberg. The Toews comparable comes from nationality and intangibles. He isn't near as dynamic as Toews and is more of a subtle player. He is going to be Sam Reinhart in the NHL and make his mark as one of the better players in the league, the way he plays I could see him as a top 6 guy from day one. He looks like a lock to be picked #1 in june in my eyes, I don't see another forward even close being as good as him.

The Reinhart comparison to Toews is extremely accurate when comparing them at the same age.

Comparing Reinhart to Sedin makes no sense to me.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
A written explanation for each player's rankings should be the bare minimum for publishing something like this. Simply putting a number next to a name without explaining your reasoning, criteria, etc is not very helpful.

I agree, I was hoping for more when I clicked on that. Is there any source out there that actually has a lot of writeups about guys in the 2014 draft? I've been relying mostly on these boards.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The Reinhart comparison to Toews is extremely accurate when comparing them at the same age.

Comparing Reinhart to Sedin makes no sense to me.

Comparing players is pretty general to begin with and their are comparisons between him and Toews, but their are also comparisons with Sedin, I didn't say he was a Sedin clone but they both are pass first guys who can see the ice better then anyone on the ice and are both pass first guys, they are not overly agressive players but are extremely effective off the cycle down low and are very good possession players. They are both Subtle players as well.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Comparing players is pretty general to begin with and their are comparisons between him and Toews, but their are also comparisons with Sedin, I didn't say he was a Sedin clone but they both are pass first guys who can see the ice better then anyone on the ice and are both pass first guys, they are not overly agressive players but are extremely effective off the cycle down low and are very good possession players. They are both Subtle players as well.

I agree there is a general nature to comparisons... but by taking it to the level you did, you could compare almost anyone...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The first dropoff is most definitely after Reinhart and Ekblad. Barring serious injury to either, I don't see any scenario in which they don't go 1-2 in the draft.

ZeroPT*

Reinhart just looks so slow... he slows down the game so much, he plays at a level slower than everyone else, yet he makes amazing plays.. I've never seen it

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Aaron Ekblad, Team Canada's 'man-child,' a pillar of strength on the blueline:
Team Canada head coach Brent Sutter called Ekblad a “sponge†when it came to taking in new information and soaking up the finer points of the game. The fact that he’s been able to learn from his mistakes so quickly is one of the things Sutter said makes Ekblad such an effective defenceman.

“He’s an elite-level player for a young man,†said Sutter. “He’s a strong guy and he understands the game.

“At the same time there are young kid’s mistakes when you’re playing at this level that are going to happen, but he learns from it… he’s an intelligent player and he picks things up pretty quickly. You don’t have to tell him twice.â€

On the back end, Ekblad has been logging substantial minutes – particularly earlier in the tournament when Griffin Reinhart had been out of the lineup serving a three game suspension. But even with Reinhart back, Ekblad has proven himself to be one of the more reliable defencemen at Sutter’s disposal.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Reinhart just looks so slow... he slows down the game so much, he plays at a level slower than everyone else, yet he makes amazing plays.. I've never seen it

Is this a good thing? Or only sometimes?

On a side note, but also got me thinking. This team needs some speed. Draft the guy that could most likely turn out like a kessel or seguin on the wing if possible pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad