WC: 2014 Division IA • Apr. 20-26 • General Discussion

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
It's a long time till 2018, but the things are't looking so well for South Korea.
After watching Bolts-Habs last night, this looked like a typical beer league game. They're just a really bad team.

Guys falling over for no reason, passes to no one, bad positioning, bad goaltending. I have no idea how they've scored 8 goals against Austria and Hungary.

I'm rooting for them and hoping that they will continue developing hockey there, but I don't think they should be playing in the Olympics. We would see scorelines of 20-0, 30-0 in 2018 if they're granted an automatic entry as the host nation.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I'm rooting for them and hoping that they will continue developing hockey there, but I don't think they should be playing in the Olympics. We would see scorelines of 20-0, 30-0 in 2018 if they're granted an automatic entry as the host nation.

Now you're exaggerating. It's not like Slovenia was slaughtered this year either, despite the general expectations.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Now you're exaggerating. It's not like Slovenia was slaughtered this year either, despite the general expectations.
Why did you mention Slovenia?

Slovenia's GD against teams from the Big 7 was 3:15 in 3 games. No ugly scores, but they were beaten comfortably.

Korea isn't Slovenia though.

Just look at some of the Olympic qualification games and historical Division I results. Slovenia beats Ukraine 6-0, while Ukraine beats Poland 5-1 to get the the final round. Korea is a tier below Slovenia and roughly at the level of Poland.

Korea has been playing close games against countries like Spain, Lithuania. They conceded 4 goals against Australia a couple of years ago.

They're getting steamrolled by teams like Italy and Slovenia, which are getting steamrolled themselves by teams like Canada.

They're going to be destroyed by 2nd tier nations (Norway, Latvia, Germany) and they will get absolutely pummeled by Canada, Sweden, Russia, etc.

When Latvia played Korea the last time (granted that was 20 years ago) the score was 32:0.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
In the same year South Korea lost to Spain, Italy just won 2:0. Thanks to a (at this time) faboulous Ander Alcaine.

It's obvious that Sout Korea made a lot of progress in the last 3 years and that they are clearly above Australia and Spain. Their skating is quite solid and altough they are quite small they know how to use their body. They are missing a solid goalie and of course a lot of quality in comparison to nations like Germany, Norway, etc.
I don't think it'd end with a 0:20, but that's speculation.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
In the same year South Korea lost to Spain, Italy just won 2:0. Thanks to a (at this time) faboulous Ander Alcaine.

It's obvious that Sout Korea made a lot of progress in the last 3 years and that they are clearly above Australia and Spain. Their skating is quite solid and altough they are quite small they know how to use their body. They are missing a solid goalie and of course a lot of quality in comparison to nations like Germany, Norway, etc.
I don't think it'd end with a 0:20, but that's speculation.
I think that it would definitely end in 20:0 or probably worse if Canada would play with their best line-up, assuming they wouldn't joke around and stuff.

And I'm absolutely sure they wouldn't stand a chance in a single game. So their participation is absolutely pointless from a tournament perspective.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
That's part of the olympic games. Great Britain was also able to line up a Handball team and lost every single game whith a huge margin. I've no problem with this.

I think Korea has the potential to progress in the next 4 years so they can play a similar role like Italy 2006, without any chance vs. the big nations but maybe able to challenge the rest a little bit.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
That's part of the olympic games. Great Britain was also able to line up a Handball team and lost every single game whith a huge margin. I've no problem with this.

I think Korea has the potential to progress in the next 4 years so they can play a similar role like Italy 2006, without any chance vs. the big nations but maybe able to challenge the rest a little bit.
Korea has been compared with Slovenia and Italy here, but both of those comparisons are absurd.

Just look at the history of the Italian national team.

Italy played in the Elite division of IHWC in 2006.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Italy is an up and down nation. One year up, next year down.

I just say there is the potential that South Korea can be at a similar place in 4 year, maybe not elite divison but able to challenge teams which are playing there.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, South Korea's doing good in scoring goals but they need to prevent them a bit better. That said I figure they're going to be an easy win for a lot of teams in 2018 unless they improve.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Just look at the history of the Italian national team.

Italy played in the Elite division of IHWC in 2006.

Teams stuffed full of North American players (9 last year). Korea played a team full of actual Italians at the 2007 U-20 championships. They lost 4-3.

Last edited:

Ravenclaw2099

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Yeah, South Korea's doing good in scoring goals but they need to prevent them a bit better. That said I figure they're going to be an easy win for a lot of teams in 2018 unless they improve.

You do make a good point. Also keep in mind that until very recently, Korea's hockey development was stunted in part to their mandatory military service. At one time potentially good players would go into service and here was no hockey program. Thus, many would either lose interest or show little progress in their skills when they left the military.

Now those who want to keep playing while in service can do so as their military sponsors a team that plays in the Asia Hockey League.

Personally, I think this a huge step as it allows player to keep developing their skills and keep Korea's talent from stagnating.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What happened to Gaiduchenko? He stinks now. Few years ago he looked like a future starter of the KHL team. I wouldn't want him on my VHL team now..

Slovenia wins against Ukraine 5-3 keeping it tight but Japan still has a great chance to be promoted which is unbelievable.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Teams stuffed full of North American players (9 last year). Korea played a team full of actual Italians at the 2007 U-20 championships. They lost 4-3.
And what is your point? Why are we talking about the 2007 U-20 championship? How is that relevant?

Italy has been a part of the A Pool/Elite tier for a number of generations.

Korea is a third tier hockey nation that has recently progressed, naturalized a few Canadians and now is clearly the worst team in the 2nd tier of international hockey.

Not all 1st tier hockey nations make the Olympics. Countries like Denmark or Germany, which have about 16 NHLers combined, didn't manage to qualify for Sochi.

Korean star players (the 2 or 3 Canadians) were AHL scrubs before going to Korea.

Temid

Oct 10, 2006
sLOVEnia
Japan has very good chances to win a promotion. If they win Korea today (which seems likely) and they beat Hungary on saturday (and Hun might be out of promotion chances on saturday already, altho they came out strong against Austria today, still 0-0 atm) they are thru no matter what results will be in other games.

Both Slovenia and Austria still depend on themselves, but they have harder schedule since they play each other on the last day.

Cheering for Hungary now :)

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Japan has very good chances to win a promotion. If they win Korea today (which seems likely) and they beat Hungary on saturday (and Hun might be out of promotion chances on saturday already, altho they came out strong against Austria today, still 0-0 atm) they are thru no matter what results will be in other games.

Both Slovenia and Austria still depend on themselves, but they have harder schedule since they play each other on the last day.

Cheering for Hungary now :)
Do you have a stream for the Hungary game by any chance?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm not sure what you are arguing about. Korea is obviously a third-tier hockey nation which lucked out a win against Poland in 2012 due to the Poland's inability to close out the game and momentum swing late in the third and only stayed in IA because it took some time for dust to settle after the creation of IA and IB system and, evidently, GB is even bigger piece of crap.

Temid

Oct 10, 2006
sLOVEnia
Only watching game with one eye as im at work.. but so far Hungary looks better.. not as much better as shots difference might imply, since majority of shots is from hard positions and they dont have many proper scoring chances.
On the other hand Austra is defending very cooly.. no panic at all.. it looks like they are not playing with full force and sort of waiting for their opportunities. They do have a lot of penalties tho.. 4 so far already and about half a game played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad