2014 CIS Nationals (Saskatoon)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
If Cartoon U is big and physical then they would be the team best capable of beating the Monkeys.

One prediction I will make is that on Friday night Sask will beat the loser of game 1 in that pool. Until losing to UBC they looked to be a team on the ascent. Here are their second half scores:

Fri Nov 29 Mount Royal 4 Saskatchewan 8
Sat Nov 30 Mount Royal 1 Saskatchewan 4
Fri Jan 03 Manitoba 4 Saskatchewan 5 (so)
Sat Jan 04 Manitoba 2 Saskatchewan 3
Fri Jan 10 Saskatchewan 2 Alberta 3
Sat Jan 11 Saskatchewan 3 Alberta 4
Fri Jan 17 Saskatchewan 7 Lethbridge 1
Sat Jan 18 Saskatchewan 2 Lethbridge 1 (ot)
Fri Jan 31 Calgary 3 Saskatchewan 4
Sat Feb 01 Calgary 2 Saskatchewan 10
Fri Feb 07 Saskatchewan 3 UBC 1
Sat Feb 08 Saskatchewan 1 UBC 5
Fri Feb 14 Regina 2 Saskatchewan 7
Sat Feb 15 Saskatchewan 4 Regina 1

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re:Alberta

Seen the Bears a lot over the years...like for the last 35 or so!
This is the best Alberta team on paper since 2004-05.
Bears got better this week as Kruise Reddick (who was once ranked higher then both Jordan Eberle and Justin Schultz by CSS for the 2008 Draft) returns from a lower body injury.
Alberta is deep up front and can move the puck on the back end and their PP is vastly-improved over the last two seasons (From 17%, to 23% to 32%).
If the game vs. Carleton is officiated and not managed I expect Alberta to have a positive result.
Simply put Ian Herbers has the Golden Bears playing like Detroit circa 2008-09. Hard, fast and skilled.
Enjoy the tournament!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm sad to not be there in person for the 1st time since 2001, but Florida seemed a better option. Best of luck to Burnsy and the Axemen.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Award Winners

Wednesday night was the big banquet and the Major awards winners are as follows:

SENATOR JOSEPH A. SULLIVAN TROPHY (player of the year) - Liam Heelis (Acadia)
The other finalists were Zach Harnden of Western and Derek Hulak of Saskatchewan.

DEFENCEMAN OF THE YEAR - Ryan McKiernan (McGill)
The other finalists were UPEI’s Reginaldo Traccitto and Alberta’s Jordan Rowley

GOALTENDER OF THE YEAR - Jacob DeSerres (Calgary)
The other finalists were Evan Mosher of Acadia and Kevin Bailie of Queen’s

CLARE DRAKE AWARD (rookie of the year) - Kevin Bailie (Queen’s)
The other finalists were Philippe Maillet of UNB and Christopher Collins of Calgary

R.W. PUGH AWARD (most sportsmanlike player) - Chris Culligan (UNB)
The other finalists were Steven Reese of Western and Sean Ringrose of Alberta

FATHER GEORGE KEHOE MEMORIAL AWARD (coach of the year) - Brett Gibson (Queen’s)
The other finalists were Acadia’s Darren Burns and Calgary’s Mark Howell

DR. RANDY GREGG AWARD (hockey, academics & community service)
- Ben Lindemulder (Alberta)
The other finalists were Brock’s Matt Abercrombie and StFX’s Murdock MacLellan

CoconutHockey*

3-1 Alberta over Carleton after the first period.
Shots were 16-8 for Carleton.

Is anyone watching?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Monkeys won 3-2. Cartoon poured it on at the end when they were down 2. They got one.

Monkeys could get better. If Cartoon is the biggest opponent then look for the Apes to do well.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Despite the score I never really felt Alberta was ever in any danger of losing.

Only losing by a goal though means Carleton still has a realistic chance if everyone ends up 1-1....obviously they will have to beat McGill by at least a couple to get into a positive goal differential, but it's not like they lost by 3 or 4 today, which would have basically ended any chance they had.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Despite the score I never really felt Alberta was ever in any danger of losing.

Only losing by a goal though means Carleton still has a realistic chance if everyone ends up 1-1....obviously they will have to beat McGill by at least a couple to get into a positive goal differential, but it's not like they lost by 3 or 4 today, which would have basically ended any chance they had.

Speaks volumes to how close the competition is at the tournament when the Wild-card only loses by 1 to the #1 seed.

austrooper

Feb 13, 2009
just watched acadia blow a lead against Windsor and look terrible in a 4-2 loss...furthermore, they lose a couple of key defencemen......commentators talked about the time change but come on, losing to Windsor....not sure what happened but doesn't auger very good against a tough Saskatchewan team Friday night...

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
If there's one thing I've learned from this tournament is that you can't judge conference strenght and team strength with those results. At most, you're gonna play three games, which isn't even a serie in junior hockey. So many things can go wrong during 24 hours.

At worst, you have a first bad game and you don't show up during your next one because you're pretty much eliminated.

I think McGill has a real shot. Good team, great d-men and Kelly Nobes does a good job behind the bench. I trully feel they could end up beating Alberta. But from what I've seen today, Alberta is one strong team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
just watched acadia blow a lead against Windsor and look terrible in a 4-2 loss...furthermore, they lose a couple of key defencemen......commentators talked about the time change but come on, losing to Windsor....not sure what happened but doesn't auger very good against a tough Saskatchewan team Friday night...

What do you mean by 'common losing to windsor'... Seems to me like Windsor is constantly underrated around here this teams on fire.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON

Here's two other possible explanations: 1. Windsor's gameplan threw Acadia off of their's - in other words, Windsor won the game rather than Acadia lost the game. 2. Acadia, relative to other top teams, is not as good as you think they are. Nah, it's probably time zone, because we all know that Windsor is in the same time zone as Saskatoon.

thook

Jan 9, 2010
I'm so sick of arrogance from the other conferences. The oua is becoming a very good very competitive conference. Any team can win on any night. Like I said in an earlier a post. don't be surprised if an oua tam is lifting the university cup on Sunday.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Windsor

What do you mean by 'common losing to windsor'... Seems to me like Windsor is constantly underrated around here this teams on fire.

Give Windsor credit, they beat McGill also for the Queens Cup final. They surprised me in a couple of pre- season games in Freddy against UNB.
That wasn't a good effort put forth by Acadia and experience at the National level comes into play here.
You have got to be ready to play your best hockey of the season from the get go and it seemed that Acadia didn't bring it last night.
Windsor is now the favourite to come out of this pool!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was impressed by Windsor...they really could have won by even more as they missed some great chances in the 3rd. I like the way they play as well, very fun to watch.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The same thing happened to Acadia last time they were here in 2005 I think it was..they dominated the AUS and looked unbeatable, then went out west to Alberta and laid an egg.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Day 1

Bears dominated their game 5v5 but didn't put a reslilient Carleton away. When shots are 31-10 through 2 you have to be home and cooled. Given Dupius the Ravens goalie credit. He made saves. Then Alberta got a little undisciplined in the final 5 minutes and took a couple of neutral/o-zone penalties and Carleton got a chance.
At no point did Kurtis Mucha ever look really confident in the Golden Bears goal. But the Bears were flying, just didn't finish. Final shots were 41-17. It should have been 5-1.
Nonetheless a win is a win and now they get McGill Saturday.

Windsor surprised me. The fact that the shots were even with Acadia was something I wouldn't have predicted. Fact is Acadia was lucky it wasn't 5-2 or 6-2 'cause the Axeman had an awful stretch after Windsor got he two quick ones in the third.
The Axeman got physically crushed by Saskatchewan at Clare Drake Arena back at the 2006 Nationals...but Saskatchewan is not that team now. The Huskies do have better depth at forward now though.
Should be an interesting day today

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The same thing happened to Acadia last time they were here in 2005 I think it was..they dominated the AUS and looked unbeatable, then went out west to Alberta and laid an egg.

It was 2006. They had lost a 5 game series in 2005 to UdeM then won the AUS in 3 straight games over UNB the next year. They lost both games in Edmonton (1-5 vs USask and 3-4 vs LKD).

Someone arrives at the tournament having peaked too soon or fails to focus on the prize in front (rather than the prize just won - I'm referring to how a team sets a goal of winning the Conf. and then forgets there is more hockey to play). McGill's issue for a few years at Nationals - looks like it's Acadia this year.

It will be hard to advance without a big differential in a win over USask.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Bears dominated their game 5v5 but didn't put a reslilient Carleton away. When shots are 31-10 through 2 you have to be home and cooled. Given Dupius the Ravens goalie credit. He made saves. Then Alberta got a little undisciplined in the final 5 minutes and took a couple of neutral/o-zone penalties and Carleton got a chance.
At no point did Kurtis Mucha ever look really confident in the Golden Bears goal. But the Bears were flying, just didn't finish. Final shots were 41-17. It should have been 5-1.
Nonetheless a win is a win and now they get McGill Saturday.

That's a recipe for an upset. Shades of last year when they dominated Waterloo. One lucky bounce and last night's game was going into OT. Moot now.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
I'm so sick of arrogance from the other conferences. The oua is becoming a very good very competitive conference. Any team can win on any night. Like I said in an earlier a post. don't be surprised if an oua tam is lifting the university cup on Sunday.

There is no "Like" button on this site, so I will LIKE this message!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad